Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Fuel pump failure ?
Good morning Folks,
I have a 51 plate TD5 90
The fuel pump has been a bit noisier than norm the last week, mbut on the way home last night it started to hesitate, stutter ?
I made it home gently and couldnt hear the pump at all Rolling Eyes
I tried purging the fuel system but still couldnt hear it running,

Would it be safe to say the pump is fubarbed Neutral
Or is it worth looking at relays etc first ?

Fialing that ill get it booked into the garage - which hurts a bit but as my own garage is half sold and packed away i dont have much choice

Thanks in advance

Richard
Post #704707 2nd May 2018 5:15am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
When mine failed it was silent, the 90 started and ran and was drivable just without any power, you could probably excelerate up to about 40/50 slowly. The tell tale sign on mine was the lack of prime when you turned the ignition on.

I pulled the plug from the pump and checked it had 12v etc which you can do without dropping the tank, you can hear the relay click when you turn on the ignition as well.
Post #704708 2nd May 2018 5:52am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It could be injector seals and washers. It's reasonably cheap to get these changed so might be worth trying it before going down the pump route. If your changing the washers and seals only use genuine ones. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #704727 2nd May 2018 8:32am
dorsetsmith

having replaced fuel pump on my 03 plate 90 the old pump had been noise for more years than i can remember stared ok have replaced leaking fuel presser regulator cold snowy November back 2010 and injector seal in 2015 lube oil level in sump slowly increases in between oil service also changed clutch and window seal and work on body work too.
2018 18 Feb go to north Devon and Pollock and the hill and Exmoor Exclamation the landy struggled to get up the Pollock hill Shocked fuel pump making more noise than normally full tank
on retune back to Dorset time too investigate tested MAF and turbo wast gate and so on, MAF readings low ( 46 at idle and not 60 LR 03 factory fitted unit so order replacement, time to test fuel presser at the engine needs to be 4 BAR post FPR, made up tested kit see below
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

kit fits in fuel line after fuel cooler

ran engine with the test kit in place 2.1Bar Exclamation no bubbles air leak down to local LR independent for new pump
removed old pump
Click image to enlarge
and fund this in the filter at bottom of the pump

Click image to enlarge

Gas oil fuel bug
before fitting new pump
pump out fuel from the tank and clean out in side the tank and then fitted new pump and filter
refilled tank post fuel perjure retested fuel presser 4 BAR Smile and little pump noise

rear tub fuel pump hatch made and fitted

1 in 4 hills no problem Cool

Sum time later bit spare time check the and clean old fuel pump removed bottom plastic part of the pump and find that small filter blocked up with more black gunk (fuel bug) clean it all out and ram pump with clean fuel and fuel bug treatment for 2HR set up test rig and checked presser stage 1 (0.5 Bar) stage 2 (8 bar) and a lot less pump noise going to keep old pump for a spare

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 2nd May 2018 1:02pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #704743 2nd May 2018 10:47am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
That seems an odd place to measure the pressure, in the return to the fuel filter rather than between the high pressure pump and regulator, are you sure that's where you should measure it ? I'd not expect to see a lot of pressure there, certainly not fuel rail pressure. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #704752 2nd May 2018 11:44am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
i measured mine on the feed to the fpr where the temp sender sits.

the black crap could also be carbon from the injector washers passing. Mine was 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #704781 2nd May 2018 2:53pm
LinDens90XS

2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi Dorsetsmith, mine is an 03 90 as well and already had replacement pump. Have been toying with the idea of cutting an inspection hatch but unsure where to start cutting a or how large the hole should be. Would be obliged if you could let us know the measurements for your set up, and also any problems in doing it. Thanks in advance. Regards
Dennis.
Post #705859 7th May 2018 8:09pm
dorsetsmith

have look old post i used information from it
http://www.defender2.net/forum/post211294.html
Post #705956 8th May 2018 8:06am
LinDens90XS

2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks for that. appreciated. Regards
Dennis.
Post #706307 9th May 2018 9:14pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
TJH1985 wrote:
When mine failed it was silent, the 90 started and ran and was drivable just without any power, you could probably excelerate up to about 40/50 slowly. The tell tale sign on mine was the lack of prime when you turned the ignition on.

I pulled the plug from the pump and checked it had 12v etc which you can do without dropping the tank, you can hear the relay click when you turn on the ignition as well.

Looks like mine has just inherited the same symptoms. Perfectly alright until this morning when I couldn't hear the priming/purging when the ignition turned on. No warnings or concerns previously - working fine.

Power to the plug, but no sign of sound of life.

It still starts/runs, which surprised me, but given your comments TJH1985 it seems it's the norm.
So it oooks like it'll drive up to about 40/50 which is handy to know as it'll get me to the local garage if I can't get the flipping fuel tank off Thumbs Up
Post #717674 14th Jul 2018 2:30pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
With a bit of force the plate covering the tank comes out quite quickly, mines been out twice now once to fix a leaking breather hose and second for the fuel pump, must have taken me a hour the first time to get it out and then 10 minutes the second time when you have a little more confidence. Although I have modified the plate now so that it’s bolted up from underneath as it makes life so much easier Mr. Green

Good luck Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #717688 14th Jul 2018 5:09pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Thanks for the advice TJH1985 and the idea of modifying the plate so it is fitted from underneath - should have been designed like that in the factory Thumbs Up

In an attempt to make life easier when I come to do it, I removed all of the mounting nuts/bolts from the plate today and replaced with new ones that I had in the garage. I also replaced the tow bar brackets and the jubilee clips on the pipes. All new and greased so it should make life easier Thumbs Up

Just out of interest, how long will it run without the pump working? You suggested it'll get up to a low speed but will that be the case until the new pump is fitted - i.e. can I do the local runs until the pump arrives on Tuesday?

Cheers,

Will
Post #717725 14th Jul 2018 7:31pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
I maybe did 80 miles on mine without issue, it went on holiday so used it to get back to the cottage and until we could get it recovered. You wouldn’t want to take it on a major road that’s for sure Rolling with laughter I guess it would only stop if air gets in the system because the pump has the job of purgeing?

It’s not my main car, so was a few weeks until I got around to it and it still started and drove at that point.
Post #717729 14th Jul 2018 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1