↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > DRL Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
Read what Brendan wrote again, "Note this is DRL units and not individual light sources in a DRL unit". The Porsches have 4 LEDs housed in each headlight unit therefore only 2 units and hence legal Thumbs Up

Read what I wrote again.
Quote:
I saw a Porsche today with 4 single DRL's around the halos in each headlight and then 2 larger oblong ones in the front bumper.

Therefore 4 units.
Post #704651 1st May 2018 9:22pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Embarassed Oops didn't notice your earlier post sorry! That does make it interesting, it must surely be aftermarket then? Or possibly one is a sidelight and the other are DRLs hence how they get round it? Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #704660 1st May 2018 9:46pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
My understanding is that you are allowed 1 pair of DRLs but are allowed two pairs of side/position/parking lights.

There are minimum and maximum light outputs for both position lights and DRLs. As far as I remember the maximum light output of a position light is less then the minimum of a DRL.

DRL's must either switch off or dim to a sidelight when the headlights are switched on.

If a DRL is close to an indicator it must switch off when indicator.

Lights are now becoming multifunctional so a DRL might change to orange and be a indicator. However it must be approved for all the functions and carry all the correct light function code.

The interesting development on lights include laser and fibre guided technology. Some indicators are now incremental indicators. The first unit inboard lights up, then the next etc. towards the outside. However the inboard light source must stay on whilst the rest lights up.

The regulations are quite detailed and are not for leisure reading.

If the lights are factory fitted then I would assume that they conform to all the correct approvals.

The difficulty is with the aftermarket lights to ensure that they have the correct genuine approval markings on them.

Brendan
Post #704679 1st May 2018 10:27pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
£20 ebay lights for me here too

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Actually really clever how they work. Super bright when the ignition is on as you would expect but then do a variety of things when you put other lights on depending on that wires you use from the control box.

Currently I've got them dimming 60% with the side lights as many modern cars do. Not worked out how to get them to switch off with the headlights yet - but if all else fails I have a relay waiting to go in to do it manually
Post #704683 1st May 2018 10:46pm
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful - looks like most go for circular actually! I still like the look of the rectangular ring style ones.

Silly questions but will they all be waterproof in terms of being dunked in water occasionally? Obviously you can seal the wiring as best as possible but anyone had any issues with water ingress in a bumper DRL?
Post #704775 2nd May 2018 3:37pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Mine have been on since 2013 and been in torrential rain, river crossings and mud, as well as number of high-pressure washes and still work well ... had to change the controller once in that time (£5 on eBay) and have had the bumper galvanised recently - so I think that they work acceptably well!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #704787 2nd May 2018 4:14pm
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Sounds good to me wyvern! Thumbs Up
Post #704804 2nd May 2018 4:55pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
5 POT wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful - looks like most go for circular actually! I still like the look of the rectangular ring style ones.

Silly questions but will they all be waterproof in terms of being dunked in water occasionally? Obviously you can seal the wiring as best as possible but anyone had any issues with water ingress in a bumper DRL?

I went for round because it was easier to make a round hole with a cutter Laughing

Mine have been fully underwater twice and are fine. Plus I pressure wash them regularly and so far they're fine Thumbs Up
Post #704912 2nd May 2018 10:53pm
spudfan

Ireland 
LR90XS2011 wrote:
nothing to do with me but looks like a bargain

eBay Item No. 292515624785

eBay Item No. 302719014562

I bought the standard black bumper and Ring DRL's from this supplier and I am very happy with them, the service and the price.
If I ever decide to go this route with the series 111, I'll get the galvanised bumper and DRL's from this supplier 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #709315 26th May 2018 5:13pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Please be careful where you buy any light from. Several sites say that the lights are E marked and road legal etc.

To be road legal they must have an approval mark on. This will include the light function code RL, the country code which some people refer to as the E Mark which is E + number in a circle and the actual approval number which is 4-6 digits. If they are not on the lens it is not type approved and hence illegal.

There is an advert on one of these sites for the brightest DRL going and claiming 3200 lumens from 30 Watts. Now they would have to use leading edge quality LEDs as 100 lumens per watt is an extremely good rating.

Now a dipped beam headlight is limited to a maximum of 2,000 lumens so this DRL is 60% brighter then the max allowed for a dip beam.

Now max output allowed for a DRL is 1200 candela. Now converting cd to lumens you need the solid apex angle. Now light distribution of a DRL is -5 to +10 degrees on the vertical plane and +-20 degrees on the horizontal plane. So using a solid angle of 40 degrees 3200 lumens translates to 8445 cd

That is a long winded way of saying (a) I do not believe that they are approved, (b) I do not believe the claims about the light output.

So I would suggest it is a very strong case of buyer beware when buying from certain sites.

Brendan
Post #709335 26th May 2018 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12