↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > Tdci improoved Manifold to turbo gasket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Charlie Spitfire

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Jake, I have a 2008 2.4 Defender 90. Its chipped by ALIVE tuning. Normal top speed for a Defender I believe is 86 mph. I was doing 90 something for several hours on the auto route in the middle of the summer and I cooked (distorted the flat face) of my manifold. After which it was all horrible blowy and wheezy.

The fix I found on found on here.

1) Remove the shiny ali heat shield that goes around the turbo charger. This is straight forward. Loacte all the bolts, make sure you have the correct spanners, take it off.

2) Then there is a metal bracket that runs fore and aft on the engine block that holds (1) in place. Same thing. Find the bolts. Find the spanners. Take it off. To be noted that the bolt nearest the cab often works itself lose, rattles and then falls out. Mine is gone but someone more fastidious than me would loctite it into place.

3) Locate the exhaust manifold that runs between the engine block and the turbo. If it is blowing you should be able to hear it wheeze when your friend blips the throttle and there ought to be soot around where it is blowing.

4) For this manifold locate the bolts, engine side and turbo side, find the correct spanners ie make sure you have all the tools to remove all the bolts before you start, and remove it. If I remember correctly one bolt has to be done from below. I had to use several socket wrench extenders and a friend to get to this.

5) Manifold has to go to a machine shop to be refaced. I thought about doing it at home but I don't have the skill set to hand file a manifold completely flat. So I found someone with a machine to do this.

6) Reassembly is the reverse of the above but with the new thicker gasket. I daresay that there is a torque setting for each bolt we just did them up firmly but not firmly as you possibly can so as not to strip something. I have a torque wrench but I dont know how to use it.

I am not very mechanical but this was relatively straight forwards for me to do although I did need a friend to help me.
Post #723544 15th Aug 2018 7:57am
TazzieJake

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Fantastic, thank you for the fast reply. I don't think I will need to have the face of manifold machined, I believe from the look of it that it is just the gasket that has failed.

So at a minimum is it possible to slide the new gasket in with out completely removing the turbo or manifold?
Post #723551 15th Aug 2018 8:54am
Charlie Spitfire

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
When mine first started to blow I took it to Land Rover and they replaced the gasket. It was blowing again within a hundred miles.

To just replace the gasket you have to remove the heat shroud and at least loosen all the bolts. From what I can remember you have to pretty much dismantle it all. Its not hard if you can find someone to help you and if you make sure you have all the tools before taking it apart. You can take the shroud off and leave it off whilst you are figuring out how to tackle the manifold.
Post #723552 15th Aug 2018 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234