↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > battery replacement 2.2 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
battery replacement 2.2 Puma
..hi guys..just quick question..if i want to change battery for my truck (MY 2014, 2.2 Puma) , is that simple replacement as unplug old and plug in new battery, or there is some procedure in order to make sure that car will not immobilize itself after new battery is connected ?? Im asking as for my P38, i need to turn on key..then turn off, and then i have 17 seconds to remove battery, otherwise alarm will blast after battery is reconnected...sooo...how?
Post #702146 21st Apr 2018 1:58pm
ssg

United Kingdom 
Hi < I recently disconnected the battery on my 2014 to do some work on the electrics. When disconnected the battery back up alarm sounder (BBUS) went off, just pressed remote and turned key in ignition and it stopped. i think it sounded again on re-connection but just did the same and the alarm stops. Should be the same when changing the battery, no worries.
Post #702148 21st Apr 2018 2:04pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
The handbook details the sequence you need to use in order to disconnect and re-connect the battery. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #702159 21st Apr 2018 3:34pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Loosen the terminals, turn the ignition on, turn the ignition off, disconnect the negative.

the reason you disconnect the negative is for safety, the same reason you connect the negative jump lead first. If you're vigorously waving your spanner around and short between a terminal at the body of the vehicle it won't matter if it's the negative but it will matter if it's the positive. Once the negative is disconnected then you're safe to do whatever you like to the positive.
Post #702214 21st Apr 2018 7:55pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I was always told to disconnect the live first and reconnect the earth last and over the years this has worked for me also leave doors open when connecting the battery and when fully connected shut doors ,lock doors with remote and leave for a couple of minutes to settle then open with the remote ,this should works with most cars.
Post #702242 21st Apr 2018 9:57pm
Cupboard

In that case you were told wrong. There is no good reason to disconnect the positive first and plenty of good reasons (primarily safety) to disconnect the negative first.
Post #702406 22nd Apr 2018 5:57pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
legin wrote:
I was always told to disconnect the live first and reconnect the earth last and over the years this has worked for me also leave doors open when connecting the battery and when fully connected shut doors ,lock doors with remote and leave for a couple of minutes to settle then open with the remote ,this should works with most cars.

I would rarely post a reply like this, but I have to say most of that is nonsense, who ever told you all that didn't know what they were talking about. Or they were having a laugh at your expense.....

Clearly you'd (realistically) need to open at least one door to change the battery on a late Defender purely because it's under the passenger seat. But opening the doors is pointless on anything with it under the bonnet, so long as you have the keys in your pocket. On cars with central locking it's good practice to keep the keys on you when you're messing with the battery, just on the off chance the doors self lock when you reconnect the battery, but this only really applies to cars with the battery under the bonnet (ie not a Defender).

You can disconnect either terminal first, but doing the positive first means you risk your spanner hitting the earth (ie the body) and arcing. Always remove earth first and replace last - basic good practice. Although on cars with quick release battery terminals it becomes less relevant.

On some cars (Defender included) you need to disarm the alarm before disconnecting the battery otherwise it will either sound while you've got the battery disconnected if it has a BBUS, and/or go off when you reconnect the battery. But the only way you'd manage not to do that is if you'd opened the door or bonnet to change the battery then inadvertently partially set the alarm by pressing the remote lock button again.

Some modern cars with advanced electronics. Need you to follow a specific disconnect and reconnect sequence, to allow the on board computers to shut down and reboot in an orderly fashion.
But a Defender isn't a "modern car with advance electronics", its a case of make sure the alarm is disarmed and the engine is off, then pop the seat off, disconnect the neg terminal, followed by the positive. Reconnect the battery positive first, followed the neg, then put all the seat back together. Depending on the alarm fitted you may need to press one of the remote buttons 4 or 5 times to resynchronise it but, that's it job done.
Post #702482 22nd Apr 2018 9:24pm
Cupboard

If you have central locking then it wouldn't be a bad idea to wind one of the windows down first, it doesn't cost anything and if your car gets confused it could save getting locked out.
Post #702612 23rd Apr 2018 4:30pm
zsd-puma

The main reason you don't leave the key in it. But yes winding a window open works too.
Post #702748 24th Apr 2018 12:26am
chipmunk

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Oslo Blue
On a similar note......... watch out in very cold weather....I once got in to my old 04 TD5 HT, started the engine, got out and shut the door.....it then locked itself and my spare keys were a long way off in GF car..!! Before this the central locking had worked but after 2-3 seconds locked up again .....4 times. It has happened on my 2.2 HT also.
Careful in very hard frost.
Recently left car standing for a month while I was in France, when I got back, on starting, the alarm bleeped briefly but stopped once the engine started. It doesn't do it now there's a bit of charge in the battery.
Does this mean the battery is getting to the end of its life?
Post #703077 25th Apr 2018 3:11pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
Does this mean the battery is getting to the end of its life?

Not necessarily. Having been sat for a month the battery would have been slowly draining, the alarm and any other electronic security you have fitted will draw a small amount of current.

If you're going to leave it sitting for long periods, get a solar power charger for it and leave in the windscreen.
Post #703207 25th Apr 2018 10:37pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..I have finally managed to find and download workshop manual..it seems its identical procedure as one for Range Rover P38...considering that this is workshop manual for MY2012, im assuming that its identical procedure for MY 2014, yes?

Click image to enlarge
Post #708297 21st May 2018 5:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1