↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remap and Intercooler question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Remap and Intercooler question.
Having the BAS 170bhp remap in mid-May and ideally will be fitting the BAS intercooler at the same time. However, I'm juggling funds for other bits and bobs as well, so if I choose to fit the intercooler later (perhaps end of summer) will the remap need to be remapped? Should the intercooler be prioritised over other things so that the map is installed against the uprated intercooler.

Note that to get the remap done I need to travel 3hrs from here, so 'popping back' to get it modified isn't really an option. Further I will be doing a 2000km+ trip to Majorca in June, i.e. long, hot motorway driving.

Thoughts please? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #702818 24th Apr 2018 12:02pm
doncarloz

Austria 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi Grenadier!

Have you spoken to Pete Bell? As far as I understand he suggests the mild itineration of his tune (150) for hot weather(standard ic) and heavy working vehicles. That´s why I went for the Remote remap tool which basically gives you two tunes (150 and 170 bhp) you can upload yourself via OBD-port.
As soon as I got the BAS-IC installed, I´ll switch to the 170 bhp tune.

Best regards,
Karl
Post #702822 24th Apr 2018 12:29pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've had the BAS 170 remap for around 3 years and have just had the BAS intercooler fitted - no need to remap to suit new intercooler.

It seems a bit more powerful but maybe the new full engine,injectors, turbo and silicone hoses help!

Regarding high ambient temps. all agricultural type Land Rovers inc Defenders are overcooled, if you are pulling a laden trailer through the Sahara the decrease in inlet temperature with a large intercooler may help to keep the coolant temperature down.

On my 300tdi I had an Alisport intercooler fitted and noticed a little improvement in torque. Having the fuel pump "optimised" by a proper expert brought a big grin to my face!

I think that the main advantage of the free flow intercooler in "normal European" temperatures is to aid air flow into the engine, proper old fashioned tuning equivalent to the gas flowed head.

The remap will bring a big grin to your face too Thumbs Up
Post #702824 24th Apr 2018 12:38pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
When considering mine, Pete advised with the towing to get the bigger intercooler. But the intercooler in normal conditions isn't absolutely necessary with 170AB. I just felt adding 40% more power the bigger intercooler is required. With your heat, I personally wouldn't risk it. Or just get 170AB and drive steadily Shocked Like that's going to happen! Whistle

Personally, as my father would say "if a job is worth doing, do it properly!"

So far as I'm aware the remap is the same. If you get the remote tool you could have both maps and fit the 150AB until you get the intercooler then put the 170AB on? That way you get the pleasure of the remap in two stages! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #702826 24th Apr 2018 12:45pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I asked the question when I had my BAS remap done and was told that fueling is effected by the inlet temperature (presumably measured after the intercooler) and adjusted accordingly on the fly. If an intercooler is added later, the inlet temperature will drop and the ECU will again adjust accordingly so no need to alter map.

I didn't notice much of a difference with the intercooler, but don't spend a lot of time towing on long climbs in hot weather.

The remap though, was brilliant!
Post #702829 24th Apr 2018 12:49pm
Grenadier

Hi Doncarloz,

Yes I did speak with Pete, it is his recommended supplier I'm going to. But the price he (the guy in France) has quoted me for the 170 MAP, Hoses, fitting the intercooler etc, comes in €250 less expensive than buying the remote tool and other parts and then fitting them myself. The saving more than covers the drive there andd back, fuel, tolls and labour. Plus he'll be fitting my new AC, possibly an EGR blank, and slick-shift.

But I'm also after a full suspension set up. Bilsteins, Alive Eibachs etc. That's a £1000. Trying to get as much done before Spain as possible.

I want my cake and eat it, as we say!! Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #702832 24th Apr 2018 12:50pm
Grenadier

Thanks all. As stated above, I agree wholeheartedly that if a job's worth doing, do it well. As you see from the list in my preceding reply, I'm trying to get the perfect upgrades in one hit. No towing planned, possibly ever, certainly not long distance or hot.

The road trip in Spain was one obvious concern (but I'm usually happy at 70mph on the motorway) and day-to-day driving as it's my daily runner. However, I live at latitude (less air), ascend at least 1000m a day (lots of pull on the engine) and the weather is regularly 30c+. Hence is the IC needed (I assumle yes?) and when?

Good to hear no modification of the map is required though. However, I remember John Chester at Bowler telling me when I did 'the tour'' that they didn't 'need' to uprate the IC on any of their road or rally tunes, even the stage 2, as tests showed the OEM was satisfactory. They only uprated for desert spec or part of the 'full Stage 2 package' which was more about what people felt they wanted, than actually needed. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #702833 24th Apr 2018 12:58pm
Grenadier

shropshiredefender wrote:
I've had the BAS 170 remap for around 3 years and have just had the BAS intercooler fitted - no need to remap to suit new intercooler.

It seems a bit more powerful but maybe the new full engine,injectors, turbo and silicone hoses help!

The remap will bring a big grin to your face too Thumbs Up

Cannot wait. Yours sounds the ideal configuration, and will be done long-run. Do you know if you've broken the magic 200bhp? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #702834 24th Apr 2018 1:00pm
shropshiredefender

I doubt 200 but it is fun Evil or Very Mad
Post #702845 24th Apr 2018 3:04pm
Grenadier

Have you gone straight-through exhaust to hear a bit of burble when you're having 'fun'? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #702869 24th Apr 2018 4:53pm
shropshiredefender

Nope - aware that the turbo needs a certain amount of back pressure to work properly - no cat though Wink
Post #702897 24th Apr 2018 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1