↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine knock only after warm up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Braydog

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Engine knock only after warm up
Hi folks, my 2008 Defender has developed a distinct knocking recently that only occurs once the engine is at normal operating temperature and only under load. Looking through previous threads regarding engine knock in puma engines, they all seem to occur when the engine is cold however mine sounds fine when cold. My regular LR mechanic has asked me to monitor oil usage for a while to help him diagnose the problem, however I'm obviously concerned that more catastrophic damage may occur in the meantime. It is running fine apart from the heavy knocking (almost like a rattle gun) at revs below around 2100 RPM.
I can't see any loose components that may be vibrating once they get warm and loosen. Any thoughts? Sometimes It is better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission.
Post #701500 17th Apr 2018 1:25pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Might be worth checking your injector securing bolts. Seems to be a recurring problem on the forum. Plenty of threads to be found , and it seems to be a simple check you can do yourself.
Post #701513 17th Apr 2018 3:27pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
is it only when engine is under load or all the time?
Post #701550 17th Apr 2018 6:34pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Early engines had piston cooling jet problems. Also these engines suffer from the top end rockers coming away from the ladder frame. Could be something much more simple though.
Post #701564 17th Apr 2018 7:16pm
Braydog

Thanks for your replies.
I have checked the injector securing bolts and all seems fine so dropped by another LR independent service centre this afternoon for a chat. They think it is most likely a fueling problem (diesel knock) so have booked it in with them to run more tests and look at the injectors more closely (in 2 weeks).
They had a 2007 model in last week that had a similar knock that also started when engine was warm and only under load which gradually got worse to the extent that it was audible all the time. They thought it might even be bottom end by the extent of the knocking but in the end It had 3 faulty injectors which when replaced, fixed the problem. Whilst expensive to replace, I would rather it be injectors than something like a cracked piston. Australia has notoriously poor quality diesel, especially in the outback where I spent a heap of time over the past year so wouldn't surprise me if they were right.
Anyway, I'll post an update once it's been in for further investigation.
Cheers, Sometimes It is better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission.
Post #701645 18th Apr 2018 6:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A faulty VCV can cause this sort of effect, and is (relatively) cheap to replace.
Post #701663 18th Apr 2018 8:00am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
The loose injector bolt issue can't always be seen, especially if a previous user/owner simply fastened then again to check/'fix' the issue.

If that's possible (are you second owner for instance?), then it's possible your injector seals could be almost nothing and the injector is instead flexing up and down on steel instead of nice compliant copper. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #701911 19th Apr 2018 7:50pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Quote:
Un VCV defectuoso puede causar este tipo de efecto y es (relativamente) barato de reemplazar.
Thumbs Up
Post #701962 20th Apr 2018 9:32am
Braydog

Well, after a week in the workshop the problem appears to be fixed. The EGR actuator kept sticking closed. They replaced it and updated the powertrain control module software etc. Which cleared the list of fault codes and resolved the knocking. I'll take it out 4wding this weekend which will test out whether it is truly fixed or not. If Not, they'll pull out the injectors for further investigation. Thanks again everyone for your replies, was very helpful. Cheers Mick Thumbs Up Sometimes It is better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission.
Post #705999 8th May 2018 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1