↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > just when you thought things couldn't get worse...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just when you thought things couldn't get worse...
Syria,

too many missiles for the anti missile defences to cope with perhaps?

I'm surprised to read that typhoon fighters where part of the scenario and that presumably they didn't get shot down either? Obviously pleased they didn't but perhaps a little surprised?
Post #700714 14th Apr 2018 6:41am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Our Tornados didn't enter Syrian airspace.
Post #700716 14th Apr 2018 6:47am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
how do you know that - I've not read enough to know if that's in the news articles?

even so looking at a diagram illustrating the range of the anti air defences they wouldn't have needed to for them to be within range?

Question
Post #700718 14th Apr 2018 6:50am
Zed

I heard it on the news. 4 Tornados fired a Storm Shadow missile each. Apparently they find their target via GPS and have a range of 300 miles.

Computer game stuff.

Only with death.
Post #700721 14th Apr 2018 6:56am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Caterham wrote:
how do you know that - I've not read enough to know if that's in the news articles?

even so looking at a diagram illustrating the range of the anti air defences they wouldn't have needed to for them to be within range?

Question

Whilst Russia has been doing a lot of posturing on behalf of Assad, I do wonder (hope) it's mainly a front and given current world antipathy towards Russia even Putin wouldn't shoot down a Western jet. Putin is a horrible man, but he's not stupid unlike that oaf in the White House. The risk that Trump would hit back must have been worth considering. Hopefully it was a lot of diplomatic posturing (on Twitter apparently these days Shocked ), but backdoor channels said 'Get on with it. We won't stop you'.

I've no wish for more war and death. Whilst I'm not a pacifist, I hated what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan, the friends I lost, the lives wasted and the social (anti-British terrorist sentiments) we've created for ourselves. If we (the West) had spent the same money just investing in the two countries, the people would have forced the Taliban and Saddams regime out. It may have taken 20 years, but we would be in a better place than we are now. Nothing seems to have changed since we went in. Waste of time, lives and money to make matters worse.

However, chemical weapons are beyond the pale. Something had to be done, a signal sent to the regime. Just a shame we couldn't do a surgical strike against Assad as well. Sadly it would create another insurgent sh**storm like Libya and allow Turkey and Iran to get stuck in. Ho hum. All this created by we-Brits back at the turn of the 19thC. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #700723 14th Apr 2018 7:09am
Lateralus

United States 
"he's not stupid unlike that oaf in the White House&quo
And what was your opinion of our former president Obama?
Post #700790 14th Apr 2018 4:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Trump is no oaf, nor is T-M.

If anything David ‘failure’ Cameron deserves that title for various reasons, if it wasn’t for him this country wouldn’t have the issues it currently has which T-M is trying to sort out. He was all show and no go, horrible guy imo and Putin I expected better of to be honest.
I’d imagine there is financial and militarily links between Assad and RU.

It was unsure if Trump would give Putin warning, but a good thing he did in the end at their and our say so, not Russia’s.

You can also bet your bottom dollar pardon the pun anyone here who doesn’t like Trump most likely voted a certain way on our referendum too.
America doesn’t care if people like the President or not, and looks after its own which this country should do more of.

Chemical weapons is unacceptable and I think the right decision was made. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #700799 14th Apr 2018 5:12pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
In my opinion, whenever world, leaders are down in the opinion polls and are running out of ideas and fear for their majority they start using military action against a country that has little military might on the world stage.

Thatcher did Blair did both President Bush’s did the same, I could go on but I hope you get my drift.
It appears to the majority of voters a little bit of might by using both missiles and soldiers used in this way by politicians does wonders for their political standing as they are seen as effective and tough.

Then, of course, history shows us that most were wrong to act in the way they did.

I am in no way saying that Assad did not deserve the rockets but will it make any real difference I suppose only time will tell. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #700802 14th Apr 2018 5:18pm
Lateralus

United States 
Assad doesnt have chemical weapons. The Obama administration assured us of that and secretary of state Hillary Clinton fixed our relations with Russia and we are friends now.

Laughing
Post #700811 14th Apr 2018 5:35pm
Slideywindows

England 
When was the last time that throwing Western bombs into Middle Eastern politics ended well?
Post #700882 14th Apr 2018 10:19pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
custom90steve wrote:
Trump is no oaf, nor is T-M.

If anything David ‘failure’ Cameron deserves that title for various reasons, if it wasn’t for him this country wouldn’t have the issues it currently has which T-M is trying to sort out. He was all show and no go, horrible guy imo and Putin I expected better of to be honest.
I’d imagine there is financial and militarily links between Assad and RU.

It was unsure if Trump would give Putin warning, but a good thing he did in the end at their and our say so, not Russia’s.

You can also bet your bottom dollar pardon the pun anyone here who doesn’t like Trump most likely voted a certain way on our referendum too.
America doesn’t care if people like the President or not, and looks after its own which this country should do more of.

Chemical weapons is unacceptable and I think the right decision was made.

Agree.
My opinion on Trump is still out, but at least He's standing up to N. Korea, & he is prepared to act, and as in this case, against atrocities such as happened in Syria,..of course if anyone believes Russia that Britain was behind the gas attacks??!!
One thing I would do now, if I was Trump or Putin, either one of them I don't care, but one of them ought to invite the other to come to their country, sit across the table & TALK.
Pickles.
Post #700896 15th Apr 2018 2:24am
Lateralus

United States 
Pickles, Trump announced a couple of weeks ago that he would be meeting with Putin and then the former British spy died and then the gas attack in Syria. Anymore, I don't rely on old sources to get my news but I try to use logic and common sense and hobble together bits of information.

I dont think the people that shape western solutions to foreign problems are elected by the people. I think our politicians and governments are manipulated.
Post #700899 15th Apr 2018 3:18am
Zed

Slideywindows wrote:
When was the last time that throwing Western bombs into Middle Eastern politics ended well?

Quite.

“Mission Accomplished!” Trump tweeted a day after the allied assault on Syrian facilities that the United States, Britain and France say are part of a large chemical weapons program. The phrase was the same one the last Republican president, George W. Bush, employed to his regret in 2003, when the Iraq War was far from over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/natio...6544063036
Post #700922 15th Apr 2018 7:40am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Be careful, this forum is no doubt monitored closely and the data harvested by Cambridge Analytica. To be fair it is going to be in attempt to find out if anyone has any bright ideas for the new Defender rather than subverting the course of western democracy. Laughing
Post #700923 15th Apr 2018 7:40am
Lateralus

United States 
Huttopia, a multinational organization has already ruled that the land rover defender represents old British conquest and rule and therefore deemed to be insensitive to the continents it has brought British conquest. Simply put, the defender is not politically correct. The new defender will be unibody and small like a fiat to get excellent gas mileage. It will have just enough storage space to collect trash along the roads to bring to the recycling centers or to take to supplies to the local communal gardens Very Happy
Post #701041 15th Apr 2018 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>