↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > RAV4 D-4D high crankcase pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
okami

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Montpellier Red
RAV4 D-4D high crankcase pressure
Well, I spend the last two weeks replacing the worn turbo in the wife's RAV4 -- not a fun job getting to all the nuts and bolts.

The turbo hadn't total given up the ghost but we getting pretty noisy and had quite a bit of play. Anyhow, new turbo goes on with little fanfare (other than the usually bloody knuckles). However the car is definitely blowing tons of air out the oil filler as well as bubbling up through the coolant reservoir (but only with the pressure cap off).

I've know there has been a lot of blow by through the crankcase ventilation tube (I'm sure it doesn't have a PCV) but I didn't think it was this bad before. I don't usually believe in coincidences, but it is really appearing that the head gasket is gone. The turbo is both water and oil cooled, but the water cooling is just a jacket and would not normally (sans cracking) be exposed to any gaskets or pressure.

The car has tons of power with the new turbo, but she would kill mosquitoes for miles around with all the white smoke.

Thoughts? I know I can buy a leak down tester and be sure, but I'm getting a bit fed up working on the thing.

I should note, this is a 2002 w/ the 2.0 D-4D. Toyota loves using the same nomenclature for a number of their TD's.
Post #700890 15th Apr 2018 12:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1