Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Seat ache
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stephan123

United Kingdom 
Seat ache
Hi,

The premium leather XS seats fitted to my 2015 Defender have started to cause lower back pain (even on short journeys).

I am pretty sure its due to the lack of lumbar support. Has anyone else suffered similar issues? i was hoping that someone might have found a cheap alternative to replacing the seats. Many thanks!
Post #721614 5th Aug 2018 9:17pm
nitram17

How old are you fella?lack of lumbar support is unlikely to kick in on short journeys im afraid...did the previous seats have lumbar supports?.......if your fit a slight change in seat type should not bother your back ........however if your like me and falling to bits any change in seat height and more importantly the angle your hips /knees in relation to peddles may set of the pain!...............if you have changed nothing well im afraid its you getting older and it will be the stiff ride and no suspension seats that is shaking your back into submission.I hope its the former as the latter ias a Censored to overcome and i await anyone with any bright ideas.
Post #721620 5th Aug 2018 10:04pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Roll up a small towel and put it between your lower back and seat. It will replicate lumbar support and tell you whether it is or isn’t the problem.

The driving position for me is the solution to lower back problems (I can’t drive a ‘normal’ car with a low seating position) bit we are all different. Do you have issues with tight calves / hamstrings?
Post #721626 6th Aug 2018 5:28am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think Exmoor Trim do a kit to add adjustable lumbar support. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #721627 6th Aug 2018 5:47am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I am the same iv a damaged spine a small cushion may help or inflatable support . I struggle to get out of wife's BMW its too low old age creeping up fast Smile
Post #721639 6th Aug 2018 7:42am
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Try reclining the seat more. I know it sounds opposite to what you think, but it worked for me.
I have driven many thousands of miles with very long days in the drivers seat. I found increasing lumbar support made things worse for my back.
It, no doubt, depends on your backs natural curve. I have tried cushions, those lumbar support net frame thingys, heated seats, chilled seats, massage seats, pump up lumbar with high and low split etc, but none of them will help if you don't get the angle of the back to the base correct for you to start with.
Post #721654 6th Aug 2018 8:07am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Only 23 and suffer from similar problems... Sad

With me i Found Its only comfortable At Vertical to -10° or -40°.

I can't get in low cars anymore or else it take me an eon to get out, Seat as far forward as possible helps too.

Thinking about getting exmoor Trim Elite sports... Any recommend them? £1400 for a pair is a bit steep but worth it?

My Current seats are torn to shreds So have waterpoof covers on them, but its like Wearing a Gimp suit in this weather.

Paying £500 for An upholstery Kit from ET or £800 for unheated seats from ET again still Seems steep. Any other Alternatives? Preferably Sports seats with heating that will fit OEM plugs? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #721673 6th Aug 2018 9:09am
Diffy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Corris Grey
Have you tried OEM ?
They do a re-trim kit of new foam/covers that convert standard seats to ‘sports’ seats - they seem pretty darn good value

https://www.oemdevelopments.co.uk/store/p6...r_Defender®.html
Post #721682 6th Aug 2018 9:55am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Hi & thanks Diffy, Looks like they're in the Right Price range But unfortunately I own a TD5 so not applicable. Sad I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #721689 6th Aug 2018 10:14am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I used to suffer from lower back pain, I went to see a physiotherapist and she adjusted the defender seat into a more upright position and it's been fine since (that was when I had my Td5), I now have LR recaros and don't suffer (the recaros are not as comfortable as the scheelman seats - no, I'm not going to sell the recaros unless you buy the rest of the truck)
Post #721736 6th Aug 2018 2:31pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:
How old are you fella?lack of lumbar support is unlikely to kick in on short journeys im afraid...did the previous seats have lumbar supports?.......if your fit a slight change in seat type should not bother your back ........however if your like me and falling to bits any change in seat height and more importantly the angle your hips /knees in relation to peddles may set of the pain!...............if you have changed nothing well im afraid its you getting older and it will be the stiff ride and no suspension seats that is shaking your back into submission.I hope its the former as the latter ias a Censored to overcome and i await anyone with any bright ideas.

I have had the truck since new and it is only recently that the seats have started to give me trouble. I like to think I am in good health and drive a number of other cars on a regular basis with no discomfort. I have tried reclining the seat but found it to be more uncomfortable. I will give the towel/small cushion suggestion in the hope that it will resolve the issue. If not I will start saving for recaros Whistle
Post #721753 6th Aug 2018 3:30pm
nitram17

Hi Stephen ....give anything a try is a good approach.........but are any of the other cars you drive a defender?..the ride is unique for stiffness and jarring of the back for a road car ..............if the remedial action suggested on her does not work well then im afraid its the hard ride giving you the problem especially since it was ok then it wasnt! its the ability of your back to cope with the jarring thats changed..........try softening the ride by reducing your tyre pressures or put something heavy in the back!..search on here for soft suspension backache..as like most topics you aint the first to have this particular problem!............good luck
Post #721769 6th Aug 2018 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1