↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR Delete, yes or no, the on-going debate.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
My vote is to get shot of it, causes more problems than it does any good really. My Peugeots got it blanked off, and the Defender really did have a major performance problem did it not! As soon as it was blanked off and binned it was a different motor.
CATs on diesels just strangles them. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #699760 10th Apr 2018 6:09am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
custom90steve wrote:
When the specs came back emissions were neigh similar using the Millers fuel additive to running without and active EGR.

Whilst I don't disagree with anything else that the above is snipped from, it's worth noting that what an EGR does is undetectable by the current MOT test. It's sole purpose is to reduce NOX, which isn't tested for, so using good emissions results as justification for removing an EGR is a flawed argument. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #699776 10th Apr 2018 8:33am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
custom90steve wrote:

Many of us Defender owners actually put a lot into the environment by nature, far off-setting the carbon footprint with tree planting and various other incentives and areas covered.

That's interesting Steve, do you have any details ? Is it a forum deal for replanting ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #699777 10th Apr 2018 8:47am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
custom90steve wrote:
When the specs came back emissions were neigh similar using the Millers fuel additive to running without and active EGR.

Whilst I don't disagree with anything else that the above is snipped from, it's worth noting that what an EGR does is undetectable by the current MOT test. It's sole purpose is to reduce NOX, which isn't tested for, so using good emissions results as justification for removing an EGR is a flawed argument.

5 gas analysers can measure the Nox emissions. He could have done his own tests not just an MOT test.
Post #699778 10th Apr 2018 9:02am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
one of my friends does some work for a climate change lobby...

When we discussed how Defenders last so long (there was a claim about 85% of Defenders/Series ever built are still "working" somewhere), compared to a Kia/Renault/Nissan etc, he did some thinking and planning, and decided that Defenders could have a lower footprint than "disposable" cars, whilst we may have lower MPG, the lifecycle of the product is better. ... And almost certainly a lower footprint than a family dog!

American dogs alone are responsible for 10 million tons of waste a year.
http://www.salon.com/2014/11/20/the_surpri...t_partner/

medium-size dog has a footprint of 2.1 acres
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pet-dogs-...id=9402234

They say an average Collie eats 164kg of meat and 95kg of cereals a year, giving it a high impact on the planet. A medium-sized dog has the same impact as a Toyota Land Cruiser driven 6,000 miles a year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/envi...laims.html

Maybe Defenders are not so bad after all... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #699782 10th Apr 2018 9:17am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
5 gas analysers can measure the Nox emissions. He could have done his own tests not just an MOT test.

He could have done, but he didn't. The circumstances have been discussed before. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #699793 10th Apr 2018 10:21am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
MartinK wrote:
one of my friends does some work for a climate change lobby...

When we discussed how Defenders last so long (there was a claim about 85% of Defenders/Series ever built are still "working" somewhere), compared to a Kia/Renault/Nissan etc, he did some thinking and planning, and decided that Defenders could have a lower footprint than "disposable" cars, whilst we may have lower MPG, the lifecycle of the product is better. ... And almost certainly a lower footprint than a family dog!

American dogs alone are responsible for 10 million tons of waste a year.
http://www.salon.com/2014/11/20/the_surpri...t_partner/

medium-size dog has a footprint of 2.1 acres
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pet-dogs-...id=9402234

They say an average Collie eats 164kg of meat and 95kg of cereals a year, giving it a high impact on the planet. A medium-sized dog has the same impact as a Toyota Land Cruiser driven 6,000 miles a year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/envi...laims.html

Maybe Defenders are not so bad after all...

That is some interesting stuff...
Post #699801 10th Apr 2018 10:51am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mo Murphy wrote:
custom90steve wrote:

Many of us Defender owners actually put a lot into the environment by nature, far off-setting the carbon footprint with tree planting and various other incentives and areas covered.

That's interesting Steve, do you have any details ? Is it a forum deal for replanting ?
Mo

The first 40k LR had a CO2 offset initiative covered in purchase price, I believe this went towards various projects involved with CO2 off setting with tree planting initiatives etc.
Also a lot of Wildlife trusts use Defenders which of course helps the causes with the natural environment, inc Enviroment Agency etc

It is also indeed true that Defenders have typically at lease double the lifespan of many disposable cars.
So you are talking various metals production inc CO2 produced in mining in particular for mining precious metals
The best recycling method imho is longest lifespan, and to not buy to replace.

This debate could go one forever. Laughing Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #699831 10th Apr 2018 12:55pm
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
Is there a consensus best method for actually doing the job?

I've seen everything from the £30 part with blanking plate, some with multiple plates and full removals including replacing a pipe with the LHD version but can't really find much on the pros and cons of each?
Post #699839 10th Apr 2018 1:24pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
^ DDP, I would go to a professional mapping company (BAS/Alive, etc)... and have it properly deleted as part of a remap.

Not sure I would just blank it.

Some references:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59960....=egr+blank
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1999.html?highlight=egr+blank
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic358.html?highlight=egr Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #699841 10th Apr 2018 1:35pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
sorry not read all of the posts and only the heading of the article and whole heartedly disagree.

I'm not the only one to have suggested a 10% increase in economy following the removal of the egr as part of a re-map process.

Granted the 10% might be entirely down to the remap? I'm of the opinion that by removing the egr this have given the biggest fuel saving.

Not sure I can find it but there was an article suggesting diesel engines can run upto 20, 30 or % more efficiently without the egr. Clearly that doesn't exactly correlate back to mpg. Question

I'm happy that a 10% improvement in mpg is a good offset against the downsides to having the egr operational. Thumbs Up
Post #699859 10th Apr 2018 3:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The cumulative effect of both the shut EGR and higher fuelling efficiency does indeed help a lot. When I had the faulty egr. (Even though there was no signs to tell) there was a markedly district drop in mpg. Increase after the map and increase slightly again with the additive.
Now I run both I’d never go back, smooth efficient and powerful. Just what the Defender needs to keep up well with standard traffic. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #699861 10th Apr 2018 3:20pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ FFS Custom, did you not see what I wrote in the OP? I clearly state "Unless some evidence arrives to dramatically change this opinion, the EGR stays."

Now you're just muddying the waters Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #699895 10th Apr 2018 5:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, I did see it. I would suggest you keep it if you feel so strongly.
It begs the question as you appear to be so certain of the EGR’s complexities as to why you’ve asked the question in the first place!

When you mention in your last sentence “Let the debate begin Whistle

Suggests in its self that you know full well there will be no full agreement on here regarding this, and then you suggest “muddying the water”.

Make your decision and get on with life, it’s not difficult. It’s not a life changing event.

Seems a bit like to me asking what colour should I get my Defender in or do you guys like roof racks or not. Etc etc.
Personal decision, easy enough to make and reversible.

Over and out.. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #699925 10th Apr 2018 6:22pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Oh Custom, I don't feel strongly either way, hence the brain flip-flopping between the two options. Ultimately I do not want to be an evil polluter of our precious air, but at the same time I do think there is a lot of guff spouted by manufacturers, a lot of EU/Govt tests and controls that have no real-life bearing or validity, a lot of opinions that are entirely unfounded, and a lot of fads.

I think this forum is certainly one of the most honest and experienced and I think if general consensus (through experience/usage) leans one way or t'other, it probably has more validty than a factory or laboratory controlled test. So, higher MPG, lower soot build up, greater engine efficiency (along with a map), less fuel burned etc etc, does make me wonder whether EGR blanking does have some benefit without unduly polluting the environment. Completely contrary to the link in my OP. Oh mon dieu, zut alors, oh la vache, etc etc Big Cry

As I am looking to have the very best engine possible (power/torque/cleanliness/noise/daily usability/reliability/mileage etc), I'm leaning to blanking now.... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #700166 11th Apr 2018 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>