↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Discovery 3 a good buy or possible can of worms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
Discovery 3 a good buy or possible can of worms
The wife’s trusty td5 discovery is nearing the end of its days, been a really reliable motor, 1999 td5 auto now with 230ish thousand on the clock, so my query is she’s wanting to remain landrover based, hates freelanders and thinks she’s not posh enough to drive a range so that leaves the disco 3 as the only choice (my hands don’t reach far enough in my pockets for a 4 for her to destroy)
She’s let say an aggressive driver, doesn’t like to give way and is happy to move things with the bumpers regardless of size and shape (ie neighbours car was outside our house so she gently pushed it to outside their house next door)
So is the newer model as robust as her current has been? Anything I should look out for when buying? Should I hold out for a higher spec version or is that just asking for more to go wrong?

Any help much appreciated

Matt
Post #699354 8th Apr 2018 12:29pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’d get another D2, my experience of D3 and D4 wasn’t great, buts lots of folk will swear by them. I think you’ve got to allow a good chunk more maintenance cost per year over a D2.
Post #699356 8th Apr 2018 12:40pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Buy her a Fiat 500 and then she may loose a little of the aggression when she attempts her first fight Rolling with laughter

Just on the D3 - I ran one that was 5 years old and cost about a grand a month to keep on the road with various things going wrong. Great when they are running correctly, costly when not. At 2500kg everything takes a beating and they take some stopping (perfect for your wife Laughing )
Try and push her to test a fl2 - great little cars and must be the most reliable, modernish vehicle ever produced by Land Rover
Post #699360 8th Apr 2018 12:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would also go for another D2. There are some real bargains to be had.
Post #699363 8th Apr 2018 1:10pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I could suggest tying a couple of spare tyre to front and rear bumpers as an extra comfort pad Rolling with laughter

Now 230,000 miles is not that high mileage for a TD5 and it has been a reliable motor.

What needs doing to it to keep it on the road for the next 3-5 years? You need to factor that likely cost against the cost of exchange for a different vehicle of (to you) unknown reliability.

Now if wife just fancies a change that is a different story.

Brendan
Post #699367 8th Apr 2018 1:29pm
Matt90

She’s happy with her disco, her dad bought it for her so it holds sentimental value, it’s started smoking heavily first turn of the day and then clears, the heater is non existent, central locking gave up ages ago, sunroofs leak, dare not open the rear windows as they won’t go back up without help, starter motors on its way out, needs some welding, has power steering leak, although once warm it still pulls really well, but drinks diesel..
We joke about her only having a 5 mile radius as she won’t go far just incase it dies, I’ve just booked our summer holiday in Cornwall and although I know the 90 will get us there and back A: I don’t want to add the miles to him and B: wanted a bit more comfort on long journeys, the other option would be to put a seat in the back of my transporter and use that? But we still need to replace her car before it dies, she refuses to down size to a car, an estate or a suv and loves land rovers,

Maybe another td5 is the way to go, just doesn’t seem like we’re moving forward if you get what I mean, she doesn’t want a 110 either...

Help or recommendations on where to trade the other half in much appreciated 👍
Post #699373 8th Apr 2018 1:58pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
My wife has a 2004 D3 with 230,000 miles on it now, one of the first ones made and its been fine just budget 1-2000 a year to keep it in good order,
Although im getting signs that the auto box needs a rebuild as my MPG is crap, but its been like that for 4 years now after a megaflush and dr tranny to keep it going. Im still waiting for it to go bang! be about 2500 to rebuild I expect.

just ensure belts, oil pump, water pump have been done and theres no knocking or wandering from the worn arms.

We keep thinking of replacing it with a D4 but she just keeps soldiering on. Mr. Green 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #699377 8th Apr 2018 2:08pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Part of me loves the idea of a d3, but I'm assuming they're pretty similar to the range rover sport I saw a friend battling anti roll bar bushes off of the other day.

If you diy, they're complex, cramped underneath and everything looks like it'll be a fight to remove!

I was very glad that I was only at the workshop to press in new panhard rod bushes, that then took me 5minutes to then bolt back to the 110
Post #699390 8th Apr 2018 2:41pm
Matt90

A 2007 d3 has just gone up for sale near by, auto tdv6, with 204tho on the clock but very cheap, looks clean and tidy, and very well serviced, would I be mad to even consider this?
Post #699425 8th Apr 2018 5:46pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had 1 for 3 years and the only thing that went wrong was the alternator.
But it is very expensive to maintain and the one i had was bought with 37000 miles and sold at 60000.
Still it had tyres all round once and front changed just before i sold it.
The last service cost 1400£...
I would not buy another nor would i buy a 4.
But they are very good.
Best i have ever had.

Fabio
Post #699433 8th Apr 2018 6:46pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Probably not any help at all, but my understanding is that D2's are mostly rusty now . . . . .

Aside from that, my '09 D3 is far superior, even though I loved the D2 TD5 & V8 we had, it has been super reliable in the four years of ownership until very recently when it needed a new starter, parking senors and I can feel a very slight knock from some bushes, but it has only done 54k Wink

Love it to bits - just an SE with leather, bought used, and is economical, quiet, comfy and uber spacious

You can't beat 'em and given the cost to upgrade to a D4 it is a keeper - for now Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #699434 8th Apr 2018 6:46pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
This:

ginjez wrote:
Try and push her to test a fl2 - great little cars and must be the most reliable, modernish vehicle ever produced by Land Rover
Post #699446 8th Apr 2018 8:12pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
I had a D3 from new and sold it on 127k, D4 again sold with 94k, current D4 has 51k.

All been very reliable, 35000 miles out of a set of Pirelli scorpions and serviced every 12,000 mile

D3 had 2 pairs of EGR valves, clutch, and handbrake control module pump thingy doofer.

Both D4's had nothing but servicing, tyres and brakes.

All mostly motorway miles.

Both D4's been SDV6's and tiptronic Auto.
Post #699606 9th Apr 2018 4:51pm
sewin elwy

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
hi . had a D3 from new in 2007 sold it 4.5 years later with only 18000 miles on the clock. prior to this I had a D2 and frankly wish I had never sold it! Its a defender that is more comfortable with better gear ratios and the interior is still robust. I'm now back in a defender!

So, D3 assessment:
fantastic drive but you really can't afford to run one outside of the LR warrantee. Cost are astronomical to service and you'll have to sell the house to repair it! The interior just isn't strong at all with brittle crappy plastic trim which breaks on removal.....without fail! If you catch a mud flap it'll bend the wing, inner and outer and yes for some quite simple service procedures its a body off job,,,,,,,oh, while were doing this sir we might as well do all the other body off work as well!

In its defence it is the best vehicle I have ever driven, would I buy another....don't be silly!

Best advice you've been given here is to upgrade the D2... fantastic Td5 engine, best LR engine ever. Buy a good one, spend 6-7K and it will last for ever and I guarantee that the D3 will cost you that in the first year after you've bought one!
If you don't believe me ask yourself this,,,,,,,, why is a £100,000 range rover only worth £10,000 at best as it gets to ten years old....... cause its likely to cost more than that to repair! Land rover seem determined to pander to a market where money is no object but that means there are loads of un-ownable cars around now that only an LR mechanic could possibly own... well maybe! oh. one last thing.... it doesn't fit most UK parking places, you'll get it in but cant open the doors! Rolling with laughter
Post #699619 9th Apr 2018 5:41pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
In defence of the D3 it was the best vehicle I had ever owned with respect to everything it could do and do well. Had mine for 8 years and yes they can be heavy on bushes and tyres. The body off story to change the rear belt is the official LR method but a good Indy with experience of these vehicles can change the belt without lifting the body. There are some horror stories but my personal experience with my 05 D3 was good.
Post #699733 9th Apr 2018 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>