↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > SONOS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

SONOS
Along with the garage issues in the pending house purchase, our sound system is causing us a small headache as well.
Currently we have a jukebox hard wired into the living room, kitchen and bathroom. With the new cottage we don't want cables showing or any visible sign of them.
Would the SONOS system receive a signal from a jukebox? It's the same version as you'd get in a pub, digital display and 40K tracks.
From my limited understanding the SONOS system is app based and you control the music from your device, but I want to feed music into the SONOS system and control it that end. So in effect push music into the system rather than draw it out.
Am I barking up the wrong tree? Are there better systems out there for my needs? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #699115 7th Apr 2018 10:49am
xcentric

some Sonos systems can take input from a 3.5mm jack, but this is wired so won't work. It can also accept music from spotify, which is perhaps your best bet. Taking it from a music jukebox may be possible but you'd have to find a way to send it wirelessly (for which there may well be a device) but it would be a real pain. I'd have thought a wireless transmitter or bluetooth dongle and wireless/bluetooth speakers would be a better bet, but maybe not for whole house stuff.
Post #699116 7th Apr 2018 11:00am
walfy

There in lies the problem, spotify costs. The jukebox I have is already paid for, contains the Top 40 since 1952 and I get free update disks every 2 weeks to keep it current with todays music. Plus if I need to I can request specific music, like the Elvis or Wurzels back catalogue. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #699119 7th Apr 2018 11:07am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
We have our Sonos system linked to iTunes but we also tend to use Spotify as it has mostly everything we want to listen to and doesn't involve having to have the Mac up and running (where the iTunes library is stored).

The Sonos Bridge (which I don't think is needed these days - but we still use) has two RJ45 inputs. Our Play5 speaker does have two RJ45 and what looks like a 3.5mm input. Worth noting all of ours are older models and Sonos seems to have upgraded most of their speakers.

I think the issue you will have is getting the App to recognise the music library for controlling and playing the music rather than the physical connection to the jukebox.

Could you do something with bluetooth speakers around your new home?
Post #699122 7th Apr 2018 11:22am
walfy

I have heard that there is an adapter to get the SONOS system to read the jukebox signal.
I'm more than happy to look at other speaker systems but thought that as SONOS was a recognised name with quality I'd start there 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #699123 7th Apr 2018 11:28am
LiftedDisco

I’d be tempted to take a wander into Richer Sounds - I think there’s a branch in Bristol and we’ve always found them to be hugely helpful and if you have VIP membership (on the website), I suspect they would do a deal on whatever Sonos products you want...
Post #699125 7th Apr 2018 11:37am
walfy

Hadn't thought of Richer Sounds, but I have a way of buying and losing the VAT so RS would have to be a hefty discount 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #699126 7th Apr 2018 11:42am
xcentric

then you can probably get a bluetooth or wireless transmitter/receiver and plug one end into the jukebox and the other into the Sonos. However, then you're paying for the Sonos wireless capabilities and not using them, and so fo the money you can get a much better sounding system - talk to a hi-fi shop to see what your options are. Richer Sounds is a good shout too, but probably better to go in midweek when not busy and not the Sat work experience team on.....
Post #699135 7th Apr 2018 12:39pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I run my Sonos system from a NAS with all of my music ripped and stored in FLAC. Kids tend to use Spotify through the Sonos system. I also listen to the radio via Sonos.

Several of my Sonos units have phono line in connections and music playing through one can be fed to any of the others.

If your jukebox system has files stored in a standard format, I'm fairly sure that you could use it as a music source. The Sonos forums seem to be filled with people getting it do peculiar stuff and the support is quite good as well (but doesn't necessarily support the "unsupported" methods).
Post #699139 7th Apr 2018 1:28pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Alpine White
There is a SONOS extender which is designed to have an external source plugged into it which then transmits wirelessly to all the sonos speakers.

It would depend on what outputs from the jukebox you have

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html Defender 90 200tdi
Post #699144 7th Apr 2018 1:46pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
^^^^ Mark, thats the exact unit I was talking about earlier that we used. Phono from the JB straight into it.

Shame I sold the one we had about about £100 on eblag last year Rolling Eyes
Post #699200 7th Apr 2018 5:50pm
walfy

Thanks all. Jamie, you sold it for how much?? Will now kep my eyes open for some deals 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #699332 8th Apr 2018 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1