↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > 90 Low on torque
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DiscoSmiley

South Africa 
90 Low on torque
I have a 2002 90 and a 2006 110. Both cars are in good condition but there is a significant difference in power. With my 110 I had the chip remapped, set boost pressure to 1.1 bar and changed the transfer case ratio to disco II ratios.

Both cars is around 270 000KM

The same was done to the 90. The same person did the remapping.

On the 90 there is no torque on lower revs. Only start to come alive on 2000 RPM but even struggle on uphill's with no torque.

I did check the turbo boost and it does boost to 1.1 bar. Problem that I see is that the boost is low and then a sudden spike up to pressure where the 110 picks up boost in a totally different way. It is more gradual and is at full boost around 1600 RPM.

I swapped the MAF sensors on them and it makes no difference to either. I am pretty sure there is no leak in the system as it holds boost once it is there.

I thought it might be fuel pressure related so I swapped fuel pumps and made sure the filters are clean. no difference either.

Any advice where to look.
Thanks in advance.
Attached a photo of the 110. Goes like stink and fully loaded as in photo I can cruise comfortably at 120 KM/H and get max 165 on GPS

Click image to enlarge

Post #698872 6th Apr 2018 7:31am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Try to swap also MAP and AAP sensors. As simple check. Both can affect the engine response. Check that wastegate is not stuck or is not sticking open or close. And check that air filter is OK and air intake for some "unwanted" think inside (plastic bag, ....). "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #698873 6th Apr 2018 7:39am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It honestly sounds like you have tried almost everything. Tidy 110 by the way Thumbs Up

There is a slight difference in exhaust length that may explain the difference between 90s and 110s, back pressure on the turbo and such.

Whilst you are hunting for possible problems check your oil pressure. I have just had an issue where when hot my TD5 had no pressure at all at idle and barely 1 bar at 2500rpm. This caused all kinds of running issues and a drop in power. I found that not only was the pump bolt not thread loc'd (2003 and 300k km) but the pressure release valve was stuck almost solid. With it free'd up I now have perfect pressure and all my running issues have been resolved. I can only presume that the pressure release valve was stuck slightly open, but closed enough to produce some pressure when cold.

Have you removed the EGR paraphernalia? If not these could be malfunctioning.

Clean all your sensors with contact cleaner.

Any faults?

Check and clean your earthing points. May sound daft but the ECU is very sensitive to bad earths and can throw up odd running issues.

Out of interest have you tried swapping the ECUs over? see if that makes a difference.
Post #698895 6th Apr 2018 10:08am
DiscoSmiley

South Africa 
Thanks guys. I will have a look at these things over the weekend.

I have removed the inlet just after the air cleaner and drove it like that and it is virtually the same. Not much of an improvement.

Will it be OK if I swap the ECU,s Being different year models I am a bit scared. I will put the 90 ECU in the 110 and see if it is "dead" If not then it must be something else. I might then run the 90 on the 110 ECU.
Post #698913 6th Apr 2018 11:17am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I dont believe you can just swap the ECUs between vehicles as the Immobilizer will not allow starting.

You can either swap the 10AS units so that the ECU stays with the immobilizer or will need a Nanocom or similar to pair the ecu and immobilizer.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #698916 6th Apr 2018 11:27am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I expect others will know better than I do (and it might be worth dropping one of the ECU remapping companies on the forum a quick email to double check), but you should be able to swap them over to test your vehicles. You will have to code the injectors from one to the other as well and back again after the test. Do you have a Nanocom or Hawkeye diagnostics tool? With these you can read off the injector codes from each ECU and change them over.

Generally when ECUs die, they die and usually from the topside switch error (internal capacitors die). Symptoms include random cutting out of the engine and bad starting.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #698919 6th Apr 2018 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1