↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] 1981 2-Door Range Rover Classic Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
[For Sale] 1981 2-Door Range Rover Classic Project
Up for sale is my 1981 3.5V8 manual, 2 door Range Rover classic which is in a partially restored/rebuilt state. I have owned the vehicle since 2005 and have undertaken a good deal of work restoring it sporadically in this time. It was originally bought with a view to me getting it back on the road and keeping it, however changes in personal circumstances have meant this has dragged on and it is no longer feasible and so sadly, it has got to go before I can start on getting my old Defender sorted.

The following is a list of work I have completed;

• Both the offside and nearside inner and outer sills have been replaced with new parts (see pics).
• Both the offside and nearside A and B-Pillars repaired with rot cut out and new metal welded in flush (see pics).
• Both the offside and nearside front footwells repaired with rot cut out and new metal welded in flush (see pics).
• Rear crossmember has been replaced.
• Both the offside and nearside rear arches have been repaired with rot cut out and new metal welded in flush.
• The car was stripped to a rolling chassis to assess the condition. Two areas of the chassis have been welded with patches fitting flush rather than being plated over. The entire chassis was then painted in red oxide primer ready for undersealing.
• Both the offside and nearside front inner wings have been replaced with new replacement panels (see pics).
• Both the offside and nearside front headlight boxes have been replaced with new replacement panels (see pics).
• New body mounts were fitted around the vehicle when re-mounting the body onto the chassis.
• 1 brake calliper replaced with a new item.
• New flexi brake hoses fitted at the front.
• Partially routed new copper brake lines.

The main areas of work still to complete are as follows;

• The engine was in running condition prior to being stripped however in the years since, the crankshaft journals have rusted and so will require a regrind. In addition the block bores have also rusted despite being oiled when stripped. The engine will then need a full up rebuild to replace tappets, rods, bearings etc.
• Normal top tailgate rot has set in. The bottom tailgate needs a bit of attention but isn’t in bad shape for the year.
• Both front doors have some rust along the bottom edges.
• Rear corner panels have rusted along the inner edges and require some welding work.
• Requires a new decker/scuttle panel due to it having been cut by the previous owner.
• Headlining was missing when I bought the car.
• Upholstery and interior trim is largely intact and is pretty good order for the year, however there are a few areas which require attention such as the front seat bases where they have worn through in a couple of places. Rear seats in very good condition for the age.
• Vehicle will require a full respray due to the previous owner having brush painted it yellow (original green visible in pics).
• Brake and fuel lines need to be finished.
• Some additional parts and panels will be required to re-mount the wings and re-assemble the front end following inner wing replacement.
• Whilst I made an effort to label and segregate wiring, it is likely that some wiring will need re-doing.
• The car has been dry stored in a disassembled state in a barn for a number of years now and whilst every care was taken to keep it all together, I cannot guarantee every nut, bolt and smaller item is still there with it. I’ve photographed everything that’s together with it currently for reference.

I have tried to be as honest as possible with the description. On the whole it has a lot of good points when comparing to other examples going for sale. A lot of work has been put into the vehicle already to get it into a pretty solid state but there is still a decent amount to do. As such viewing in person is highly recommended to gauge for yourself and satisfy yourself what is there and needs replacing. I’ll be extremely sad to see it go but it should make a great project for someone to finish off.

I’m looking for circa £2,000 for the car which seems fair having had a look what comparable examples have been selling for.

The car is located in Pembrokeshire at my parents’ house and will need to be collected with a trailer. I’m located in the Midlands but any questions, please fire away and I'll answer them directly.

Pics below highlighting the above description.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #698784 5th Apr 2018 8:18pm
richg

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Chawton White
Hi, is this still available? Thanks Rich
Post #700785 14th Apr 2018 4:13pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Finished that will be beautiful!! I wish I possessed the skills Big Cry James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #701106 15th Apr 2018 8:31pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Wish I had the spare money and space Big Cry Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #701110 15th Apr 2018 8:39pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
Sorry for the delayed reply to this.

Since listing the advert, alternative storage has been secured so I'll now be able to keep hold of and get this finished.

Thanks for the interest however!
Post #701710 18th Apr 2018 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1