↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine iLX-107 Double Din
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Alpine iLX-107 Double Din
So the time has come to start thinking about finally changing my single din flip out head unit with something decent! It needs to look good set in the dash I don't want lots of fiddly buttons on the front and I want to control as many functions as I can by voice control.

One unit that stands out is the Alpine iLX-107 carplay with it's 7" screen. I think it looks neat and would complement my P&J nicely set on to the dash with it's clutter free looks and its smart, sharp clean looking silver bezel. But is it any good? I don't want a unit that has a slow screen, flickers, has poor sound quality etc. Has anybody got one fitted that can give me some feedback and pictures if they have some of it fitted in to the dash.

Any other recommendations of double din units would be useful - cheers... Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #697541 31st Mar 2018 9:59pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I'll be watching with interest as I keep looking at this model, it looks good on paper. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #697558 31st Mar 2018 11:34pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Works in practise too Thumbs Up

Great system. Totally pleased with it. After going through 2 other systems this is a keeper Laughing

I’ve got the ilx, front and rear facing camera, the small alpine amplifier, custom dashmount wit an iPhone holder from brodit, 2 focals with tweeters in the front 2 focals in the back and the bass box from alpine mounted inside my custom cubbybox.

Currently i don’t have the extra dab unit as i don’t need it yet where i live. Will be purchased in the future.

Pro’s
Great screen no problems at all
Easy installation (unit isn’t deep, helps a lot)
I think it’s a pro, works with cable not Bluetooth so no Bluetooth connections problems anymore
The entertainment and navigation part you run on your iphone. The ilx is pratically only the screen of your iPhone. So whenever you get an update on your phone you have it in the car.
The Apple navigation app has worked alot better then my previous alpine navigation system. And it’s getting better and better. Great up to date traffic info with good detours.
When you put your car in reverse you’ll get the rear facing camera and when you Press the camera button on the ilx you get the front facing camera. Very handy at traffic lights (you don’t have to sit with your nose glued to the windscreen anymore to see the light turn green :
It’s about a third of the price of the previous complete alpine system and works a lot better

Con’s
Only Two. The volume button’s are a bit small
The price and the image quality of the front and rear facing camera. The front and rear camera are quiet expensive (too expensive compared to other camera’s you can buy). That said you expect great quality image on your screen and is it not. It’s ligging a bit get’s blurry in the sun and not great at night. It does its job, haven’t overrun any kids yet whilst reversing Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697566 1st Apr 2018 5:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I didn't realise you had to buy extra bits for dab. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #697600 1st Apr 2018 11:34am
Butchers Boy

Tdi4 wrote:
I think it’s a pro, works with cable not Bluetooth

The front and rear camera are quiet expensive (too expensive compared to other camera’s you can buy). That said you expect great quality image on your screen and is it not.

So no Bluetooth? I'm guessing you have to connect the cable to use the phone? Although I thought that the big feature with this setup was that as soon as you get in to the car it connects to your phone and everything could be controlled on the touch screen via the head unit 'No need to get your phone out of your pocket' I read somewhere!

Can you control all the App's on your phone via the head unit such as google maps, Amazon music etc? Or is it only the Apple App's?

Will my existing camera work or do I need to change it over for a compatible one?

Looks great in your Truck - thanks for the picture.... Thumbs Up

Just found this Review which answers some of those questions!
https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/20...y-receiver 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #697650 1st Apr 2018 2:55pm
Tdi4

You have a new one. Everything the same but with Bluetooth. Don’t know the number.

I have had several sets with Bluetooth. Also from alpine. But personally i prefer this one. Much better connection no problems and i don’t forget any more to juice my iPhone. Laughing a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697654 1st Apr 2018 4:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tdi4

As for the apps. Not all apps are displayed on the headunit.

I have ie spotify and whatsapp on the head unit which are “outside” apps.

But ie waze doesn’t have a CarPlay app. But that can change with the next release of ios. It’s under constant development allthough don’t expect miracles.

Amazon i don’t have. So i Cannot see if this app is displayed on the headunit a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697656 1st Apr 2018 4:19pm
Tdi4

And for the camera which type do you have? a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697657 1st Apr 2018 4:20pm
Butchers Boy

This one!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170-HD-Waterpro...0706.m4781 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #697741 1st Apr 2018 8:05pm
Tdi4

It’ll probably Work. The unit has 1 camera port. I started with Just a regular rear camera and it worked fine.

For a dual setup (front and rear) you need a special alpine box and very expensive camera’s (which are rubbish Rolling with laughter ) due to the single camera port on the unit a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #697807 2nd Apr 2018 6:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1