Home > Td5 > Battery Compartment, Fuel Gauge & Internal Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Battery Compartment, Fuel Gauge & Internal Lights
Hi all,

I've been doing a number of jobs on my Defender 90 (MY2001) today in my quest to get it back in excellent condition. I've had a number of Disco's previously but this is my first Defender so still learning as I go.

I replaced the broken dash binnacle with a new genuine LR binnacle however in true LR fashion all the O Rings around the gauges disintegrated so I've ordered new ones and I've replaced the blown bulbs in the heater controls (now looks brighter than ever) but will look to go LED in the future.

Again in true LR fashion now the fuel gauge isn't working and is reading is empty despite the tank being full, at one point it started working but has since gone again so I presume a faulty connection may be the cause as I've had it all out a couple of times now. I've made sure all the connections are fully clicked together but still nothing - does anybody have any ideas? Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Thanks in advance from a very puzzled Defender owner Confused

I've also painted the dash centre dash fascia to make it look new again, all the buttons light up with the exception of the rear windscreen wiper button, I've tried swapping it out for another one but the replacement doesn't light up either presuming this switch is supposed to be illuminated when the lighs are switched on Confused

Click image to enlarge

There seems to be no rhythm or rhyme as to when the internal ceiling lights work when the doors are opened and when they do come on they only seem to stay lit for around 5-10 seconds irrelevant of whether the doors remain open or are closed - is this normal for a Defender or are the electrics not working as they should? Again this will be getting swapped out for LED in the future as the screen on my phone provides more light Big Cry

Whilst disconnecting the battery in order to work on the dash I noticed loads of cut wires in the battery compartment and have no idea what these were for. I've also noticed that water could get into the battery compartment and I'm guessing the same could be said for the driver's side which I believe is where the ECU lives? Has anybody sealed these up to prevent water ingress when off roading or is it better to look at relocating things such as ECU etc Question

Click image to enlarge
Post #697536 31st Mar 2018 9:36pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I didn't seal up the compartment, I simply moved the ecu onto the bulkhead between the front seats.

Their is a post somewhere about it, but long story short, un-plug the ecu and pull the cables back above the tx/gearbox's and drill behind the tx box access panel into the cabin. Then move the power cables etc up to the cab and mount the fuses up there too to as its one way thieves steal TD5's

If you can't find any posts about relocating the ecu their is loads just google. I will take pics of mine. It is very simple to do. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #697623 1st Apr 2018 1:14pm
RANGER1312

Thanks gazman, I'll have a Google later! Thumbs Up

Please can anybody advise regarding the rear window wipe, I presume it is meant to be illuminated? Can you change the bulbs in the switches or is it more likely to be a power issue considering 2 switches now haven't worked?
Post #697874 2nd Apr 2018 11:49am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I've only ever had a harrazr switch apart but I'm sure it was a led on a mother board not a bulb 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #697885 2nd Apr 2018 12:18pm
RANGER1312

I'll try and take a look at the wiring and see if I can see anything, thanks for your advice gazman!!
Post #698116 2nd Apr 2018 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1