Home > Tdi > Shaking/rumbling under load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Shaking/rumbling under load
Hi,

My 300tdi 90 has developed a very noticeable shuddering under acceleration in 4th and 5th and at the top end of 3rd. It only does it under load - the instant you lift off accelerator the rumbling stops - suggesting an engine problem not drivetrain?

It seems like it's missing and hence the shuddering but runs very smoothly on tickover/not under load which suggests a fuel starvation problem which only becomes noticeable when the engine's working hard? There's nothing obvious around injectors or pump.

The only other thing to add is that I ran it dry Embarassed a bit less than a month ago and haven't changed the filter yet, I'll be picking one up first thing tuesday morning and throwing that in to see if it makes any difference.

In the meantime, is there anything else I could check? Does my troubleshooting/logic follow properly?

Cheers, Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #697426 31st Mar 2018 1:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
if you have ran the old girl dry, then there is a chance that the system may have air in it, and Censored in the system. Give it a fuel filter change and bleed the system, and shove injector cleaner through too. Just to rule that out,

and remember never ever run a car dry again! now go and sit in the naughty corner Evil or Very Mad I always let them run down to quater of a tank, or just off half Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #697440 31st Mar 2018 2:34pm
trickster5000

Yeah I was kicking myself about it, God knows what crud was in the bottom of that tank... Mad Evil or Very Mad Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #697449 31st Mar 2018 4:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
yeah you don't, I normally fill on good diesel instead of the supermarket Censored . ( I know its a bit of a grey one) but I still go for the branded stuff, as my local asda ( Censored hole) fuel is a cheap as you can get quality wise Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #697453 31st Mar 2018 4:57pm
trickster5000

Haven't really got any supermarket fuel stations near me, so have to buy Shell. Personally I would prefer to save the money and put supermarket cheap stuff in, these old 300's will run on anything pretty much.

Anyway I don't think fuel quality is the problem here but a bit of injector cleaner wouldn't do any harm Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #697455 31st Mar 2018 5:01pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
injector cleaner will work wonders, As soon as I started to filter in the good stuff, all was great.
the lads on the 306 forum used to run the Dturbos on veg, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #697461 31st Mar 2018 5:15pm
L110CDL

England 
Hi Matt, yes the 300 Tdi's run on almost anything, but the supermarket stuff is as what Procta said and believe me you do NOT get the miles to the gallon out that stuff, i know as i have tried Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #697761 1st Apr 2018 9:25pm
trickster5000

Interesting, thanks for the heads up Clayton! Thumbs Up Just as well my nearest garage is a Shell Thumbs Up

I always thought branded fuels just used better additives which were supposed to be favourable to modern engines, never realised it was possible to get different a different MPG compared to supermarket fuel. Matt.

Post #697774 1st Apr 2018 10:11pm
L110CDL

England 
I found this out when things were tight with money one year and started to put supermarket diesel in, i always put in shell, BP or Esso and have found that she runs really good on Texaco as well. Anyway i started to notice that i was not getting the miles out of the tank of diesel so i went back to the better diesel and all was good again Thumbs Up ( this does apply to petrol as well ) Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #697792 1st Apr 2018 11:00pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
trickster5000 wrote:
Interesting, thanks for the heads up Clayton! Thumbs Up Just as well my nearest garage is a Shell Thumbs Up

I always thought branded fuels just used better additives which were supposed to be favourable to modern engines, never realised it was possible to get different a different MPG compared to supermarket fuel.

oh Christ yeah, god knows what stuff is in supermarket fuel, but I recon its " watered" down.
12 years ago, when me and my dad had peugeots, with the same engine in. ( 306 and 406 with mechincal pumps)
For the love of god, my 306 wouldnt stop smoking on start up, and i am not talking about the odd puff like you get normally. It would caugh like hell! we suspected it had been ran on cherry, threw the derv addtives in and fuel filter change. One day i nipped to petrol station to shove some money on the gas, and i thought Censored it, i will get some diesel. It was like night and day was it not, by the time it got through the system! The was lot less smokey and a hell of lot more responsive! My dad decided to get in on the act too, with his 406, and he noticed the same thing! Also he was starting to save £40 a month!
Now if thats not a saving i don't know what is!
petrol side too, you run a carb on supermarket stuff and then switch, to BP etc. you will sharp see! My Rover metro ran like a bag of Censored , with asda stuff. Filled up with ESSO and it ran sweet as a nut! Even with the metro i was building, i used to shove in some asda stuff, and it wouldnt even last! comparied to the Shell or BP! that was only just kicking the car over!
Supermarket fuel is ok for shoving about £10 in to get you to the next petrol station, but thats as far really. My mot tester does this too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #697907 2nd Apr 2018 1:26pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Sounds to me more like a prop-shaft UJ giving up the ghost Confused
Post #697916 2nd Apr 2018 2:22pm
trickster5000

Clive - I would agree with you but the rumbling stops altogether the instant I stop accelerating or if I knock it out of gear. I've had a look underneath and nothing looks obviously wrong and not an unusual amount of play. Matt.

Post #697929 2nd Apr 2018 2:50pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Fair enough and I'm not saying yours isn't something else, but the last time I had a rear UJ go, (a few months ago,) the way you described it was exactly how mine was, on the gas accelerating hard, get to 50ish and it vibrates like mad, ease off and it disappears immediately.

To check for play you need to have the car standing on a flat level surface with the handbrake off and out of gear, even better, jack up one wheel off the ground, any tension in the driveline will mask it.

Good luck with it whatever the outcome Thumbs Up
Post #697945 2nd Apr 2018 3:49pm
trickster5000

Cheers for the info, I'll go and have another look when (if! Shocked ) it stops raining!! Rolling Eyes Matt.

Post #697946 2nd Apr 2018 3:52pm
trickster5000

Clive wrote:
Sounds to me more like a prop-shaft UJ giving up the ghost Confused

Bang on in the end!! Thanks ever so much for saving me from going down the wrong road looking for problems. Same trip to Blanchard's tomorrow morning but for a new UJ rather than a fuel filter Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

One of them was missing most of the pins and the other had none in at all so definitely the problem!

Cheers again Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #698096 2nd Apr 2018 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>