↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Buckers' 1993 300Tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Laughing I know what you mean, i wanted to replace mine, but as like you when i saw the price of them Shocked so i make sure i keep mine in good order Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #702694 23rd Apr 2018 8:30pm
buckers19

1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
Another week finishing off things that I started last week. First job on the agenda was to wire up the sub under the cubby. The live and earth were run out of the battery box through the handy ventilation hole and then back up into the cab through a hole drilled behind the cubby. Popped a fuse in and that was the power feeds done. The remote switch on feed I stole from the rear wiper switch which wasn’t working anyway so no great loss there. The rca cable was run behind the dash and then up the A pillar under the headlining.

The sound quality is infinitely better and the lower frequencies really cut through the road noise. Would highly recommend if anyone is considering it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was due to take the 90 to Urban Automotive on Friday to have the windows tinted but logistics proved a little challenging so I began to search a little more locally. Anyway, I found a tinters in Kings Langley, Bright cars and can highly recommend their services. Dropped off at 9am and collected at 7pm the same day. A super high quality job.

It makes the 90 look much more modern and ominous! I went for 7% on the back and sides which I think may be a little too dark but it serves the purpose of increasing security which was the whole premise of the operation.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #704007 29th Apr 2018 5:10pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Looking good, rear end could just do with a set of mudflaps to finish it off. You'd be surprised at the difference they make at the back Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #704009 29th Apr 2018 5:16pm
buckers19

Trickster, I think I will along with picking up some dirt defenders or whatever the little mud flap things are called to stop the side being perpetually caked in mud.

Also looking those photos, I really need to address the rusty hubs. Can anyone recommend anything or is it just a case of some black hammerite and painting them?
Post #704024 29th Apr 2018 6:25pm
buckers19

A small repair is the only chance to the defender this week. The fuel spill pipe had split which was leaking fuel all down the block and was severely impacting my fuel economy; to such an extent that the last tank got me about 100 miles. I’m glad I’ve got this fixed now so I won’t have to fill up every week!

A short length of pipe found in the garage will tide me over until the replacement arrives.

Click image to enlarge

On a point unrelated to land rovers I’m in the process of planning a trip up to the highlands in the summer so if anyone has any gems around Fort William and around the North Coast do let me know.
Post #704865 2nd May 2018 8:08pm
trickster5000

Have you looked on North Coast 500? Not used it myself but was looking at a similar trip and heard good things about their itineraries and information so might be worth checking out:

http://www.northcoast500.com/itinerary.aspx Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #704868 2nd May 2018 8:12pm
buckers19

Thanks Trickster, I’ll have a browse. I’m fairly familiar with the more well known spots having trawled through OS maps and google, was more looking if there’s anything off the beaten track etc that I might have missed. Been to the Torridon area a number of times so looking forward to branching out a little, we’ll be spending a month or so up there so time isn’t a constraint.
Post #704870 2nd May 2018 8:16pm
trickster5000

Ah right OK, in that case I don't think NC500 will be much help. Might be worth posting in the camping caravanning and holidays section to see if anyone has any more specific info Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #704872 2nd May 2018 8:18pm
buckers19

After a year without any updates, I thought id revive this short thread with some updates of what's been going on. As per my last post, I traveled around Scotland for a month or so; driving from Hertfordshire to Glencoe, then on the ferry from Malliag to Armadale then a few days in Lower Diabaig nr Torridon. Then it was off round the NC 500. Defender behaved itself reasonably well apart from a few electrical gremlins which we think was related to the fridge but after a few jumps starts thy were ironed out. I have attached some pictures of the trip below.

In terms of upgrades, nearly everything on my extensive list is now complete (famous last words). Will post photos soon of all the new bits.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Glencoe at some point around sunset.

Click image to enlarge

Benn Alligin nr Torridon.
Post #771375 3rd May 2019 5:06pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice camera work! What are you using?
Post #771383 3rd May 2019 6:15pm
buckers19

Thanks! I’m shooting on a Nikon D500. Also shot a number of rolls of film on this trip.

My Instagram is MattBuckley19 if you’re interested 👍
Post #771396 3rd May 2019 7:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Great pic's, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #771424 3rd May 2019 9:17pm
buckers19

Right, here comes an update of everything from the past 12 months.

First up; my mission of changing everything LEDs is nearly complete. The back end is now nice and tidy with NAS fog and reversing light complete with a new defender decal. I think it looks really smart but the rear crop member is next on the list of work to be done.

Click image to enlarge

The original defender folding steps have now been replaced with fire and ice black on black full length steps. Make getting in and out much easier and also fend off stray shopping trolleys in car parks.

Click image to enlarge

I also replaced the steering wheel with a Moto Quark with optimal QR boss. Really impressed with the quality just goes to show its worth spending a bit more to get workmanship etc. The optimal boss also gives great peace of mind.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next, the headlights were replaced with a pair of JW speaker evos which i managed to snag from eBay for only £200. Make a massive difference both in terms of sheer output and spread. Glad I waited to get the real deal instead of the questionable ones that are floating around. really complete the front with the smoked wipes LEDs and DRL.

Click image to enlarge

Finally, the fraught install of the Pioneer 7100DAB head unit. I had read things saying it wouldn't fit in the standard 300tdi location because of the top of the dash would prevent it from fully opening. Whilst this is the case, the bigger issue is the fact that the DIN tray is too small to be able to fit all the wiring and extra bits thats attached to the back of the unit. Whilst this is an issue, it will be dealt with another day. It does however allow for CarPlay to be used which is the main reason I bought it. It also has reversing camera capabilities and many other things that I haven't investigated yet.

Click image to enlarge

The reversing camera instal is actually quite straightforward if you take your time and plan where things are going. It is powered from the reversing light feed and then a single wire plugs into the back of the HU. I mounted it to the bottom of the number plate light which is very discrete and also means no extra holes have to be drilled into the body work. One the wires are inside the car, I dropped the 12V and earth wires down in behind the reversing light and connected everything up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram.com/mattbuckley19
Post #771488 4th May 2019 11:00am
buckers19

Nothing really new this weekend apart from a good coal inside and out. I managed to find an EGT gauge and probe kit off eBay which will replace the clock on the dash. Also awaiting the arrival of a mud centre console to hopefully remove my unsightly head unit install. It'll also provide somewhere to put the MadMan EMS3 which I'm eagerly await the release of.

Click image to enlarge

I was also growing through the Fourby site this weekend and found the tuning section. Im eyeing up the dual manifold they offer and also a hybrid turbo core. Instagram.com/mattbuckley19
Post #771765 6th May 2019 4:46pm
yostumpy

perhaps you should be saving up for a new x-member Wink 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #772169 8th May 2019 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>