↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > siezed motor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Low-Range

Canada 
siezed motor
To make a long story short I soft seized my bobcat motor. Starter wouldn't turn it over. So as per a million instructions on the internet I put lube in cylinders and after a couple of months, still no go. I need the Bobcat for snow removal, so I was getting desperate. So I bought an 8' piece of 5/16 aircraft cable and wrapped it around the drive shaft pulley, like you would on an old lawn mower. I then used my winch on the Defender to pull on it. It almost stalled out the winch and was actually pulling the front end sideways when it came unseized. Not saying this will work all the time but I had to share as I think it's a somewhat unique solution. After it broke free I turned it over with a 1/2 in drive socket and power bar. I then put the sparkplugs back and it started. So far it seems to run fine.
Post #728432 10th Sep 2018 11:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Love it! Thumbs Up

Glad you got it up n running Very Happy
Post #728437 10th Sep 2018 11:16pm
Grouse

Blimey well done for thinking of that and succeeding Bow down out of interest what caused the motor to seize?
Post #728447 11th Sep 2018 6:33am
Low-Range

Canada 
Sorry to take so long to respond, but if you r interested the oil drain hose beneath the motor sprung a leak. I replaced it, changed oil then used my winch. have put 30 hours on it since then.
Post #740534 14th Nov 2018 7:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1