↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Breakdown cover - worthwhile or waste of money?
Breakdown cover:
Have it, but have never used it
11%
 11%  [7]
Have it, and have used it once or twice
75%
 75%  [47]
Have it, and have used it several times in the past year
9%
 9%  [6]
Waste of money
3%
 3%  [2]
Total Votes: 62

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Breakdown cover - worthwhile or waste of money?
I have just renewed my AA membership, having been through the usual annual rigmarole of phoning them up to get them to reduce the renewal price to the same price a new member would pay through the website (which they always do, with very little haggling). I was quite tempted to just cancel it, but couldn't shake the nagging doubt that I might need it at some point and that I would be tempting fate by having no cover!

I run two cars (the Defender being one, a 2 year-old Golf the other). I have always had breakdown cover, and can remember using it once when a hose popped off the intercooler on a previous Golf several years ago. Last year I just had vehicle cover on the Defender, but have now switched to personal cover so I am covered as driver or passenger in any car (mainly so I am covered driving either of my own cars). I also just have the standard level of cover, which is roadside. They will recover you to a nearby garage within 10 miles if the vehicle can't be fixed at the roadside, but no assistance at home (within 1/4 mlle of home), and no recovery further than the 10 mile limit.

Essentially, it is just like any other insurance - apart from the fact that you are not required by law to have it.

It got me wondering what other people's views are and whether it is a worthwhile annual expense. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #693296 14th Mar 2018 4:13pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Like most extra insurance its only good when you need it and it works.

Standed from home in a broken car in deepest winter raining on the hard shoulder stood on the banking you will be more than happy you renewed Smile

Check if you don;t already have cover with your bank though as most do now up to 10 year old cars. I had gadget cover also with my bank, dropped a phone I had for 3 years, no damage to actual phone but internally the screen only worked half way, rang up bank to claim and they simply paid the £279 I had paid for the phone 3 years ago Smile

So yes when it works and its needed its great, other than that it's a monthly cost for nothing..... Very Happy
Post #693298 14th Mar 2018 4:23pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I have a breakdown recovery policy covering all our cars (6), which also give travel insurance and other benefits such as interest on the current account from the Nationwide B.S.
Given that 70 was a distant memory the cost of all this for two of us is about £10 per month. Bargain do you not think?
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #693299 14th Mar 2018 4:23pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
+1 for using "once or twice". I also have the personal cover, as I have the Defender, a Volvo (well out or warranty) and a motorcycle (also well out of warranty).

It's just that "get out of jail free" when something happens...

I can only recall using it once in recent years. Fuel leak on my TD5 Disco. RAC were out quickly. It was dark, cold, and late at night on the A9 near Blair Athol. Worth the £ spent Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #693302 14th Mar 2018 4:26pm
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I had the same conversation with them again, every year state you are only going to pay what a new customer would get.

Then I needed them this year when the Smart car wouldn't start. Turned out to be a starter motor. But they were out within an hour and hooked it up and took it to the garage some 30 miles away no issue. Just for the ease of getting it there it was worth the cost.

If you have the gold card you get 20% off the harvester group, including Miller and Carter steak houses plus many other places.
You also get 10% of Halfords in store. 110XS CSW TD5.
Post #693303 14th Mar 2018 4:29pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
For the amount of money, it costs I think Breakdown cover is very worthwhile. I personally go with the AA, I usually have to phone them about the quote but always manage to get the amount stated reduced when I say OK then I will go with Green Flag.

I do not thankfully have to call out the AA very often but when I have I really am glad I have Breakdown.

Now I do not know if other services offer this but the AA has teamed up with quite a few retailers and food outlets and I can save up to 40% on meals at various pub chains plus cheap deals at Motorway service centres. And lots of one-off offers such as a full valet at Tesco car wash centres for a fiver and a card that saves me 10p off a litre off fuel at motorway fuel outlets. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #693304 14th Mar 2018 4:43pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Got green flag on mine, never used it so I can't say what they're like.
Heard good reports about them though Thumbs Up
Post #693306 14th Mar 2018 4:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have breakdown cover, largely because the thought of leaving my Defender somewhere whilst trying to arrange recovery terrifies me.

I have had breakdown cover for over 30 years and used it twice. Once to recover my S1 86" after a catastrophic rear wheel-bearing failure (semi-floating hubs on an original S1, of course), the second time to tow my Defender home when I had suffered a simultaneous stripped drive flange spline and stuck difflock, which together prevented self-propulsion.

I suppose that overall it has probably cost me something in the region of £3k to have this cover, but since abandoning either vehicle in not-terribly-nice places could well have cost much more, I do not regret spending it.
Post #693310 14th Mar 2018 5:02pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Got mine thru Flux. Full EU cover, bout £60 a year. Had it since Ive had landys so 6/7 years used it about 10 times with my 90, once with my 110.

They do exactly what I ask when I breakdown, send a lorry within 2 hours and take me home so i can fix it. Cant complain really.
Post #693312 14th Mar 2018 5:03pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I dare not vote and tempt fate......
Post #693313 14th Mar 2018 5:04pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’m with Brittania Rescue (LV) onna policy you can only get through the Civil Service Motoring Association, full EU cover for the Defender, plus any car cover in the U.K. for me and my wife. If you are in any public sector job, I’d recommend checking it out. Never needed them for the Landy, touch wood, but they’ve been out for two punctures, a failed alternator and a blown gearbox on other cars. It’s all subbed to local firms but they have always been very prompt and helpful. The price is standard, everyone pays the same, none this different price for new custom malarkey. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #693336 14th Mar 2018 6:36pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
+1 for personal cover. If I'm out with a mate who isn't covered I can get us to our destination as I am covered.

Also saves having multiple policies for all of our vehicles Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #693343 14th Mar 2018 7:11pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I've got personal cover with RAC. had it for over 20 years now, not used it for ooh, at least 10 years.

But... it's nice to have it up your sleeve for that "just in case" moment.

If I'm out laning and it's raining and I'm on my own etc, I don't mind getting the spanners out and trying a fix.

If I'm with SWMBO, I know that as soon as the sound of the Td5 centrifugal oil spinner stops, I'll be getting "the look" from her.... It's worth the £65 odd a year to have a phone number to ring...

(touch wood, not needed it for years)
Post #693363 14th Mar 2018 7:54pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I find all these breakdown cover costs horrific...I've got a couple of vehicles owned by my daughters which are out of manufacturers warranty & get breakdown cover with rescuemycar.com at £17.50 per year with a £40 excess.

The policy covers homestart, repatriation etc & one of my daughters (who treats her cars like an ex-boyfriend) has had to use the cover on three occasions & I have to say the service was absolutely first class & she (errr Bank of Dad) had to pay the £40 excess on one occasion only in 5 years.

Cant rate them highly enough...I struggle to see how AA, RAC etc are still in business.

https://www.rescuemycar.com Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #693383 14th Mar 2018 8:40pm
srod

I took out breakdown cover for the first time in my driving life on the day I bought my Defender... because it was a 200mile journey to pick it up and I was worried the vehicle I was driving down to part-exhange for it wasn't going to make it! Laughing Luckily I didn't need it either direction.
Post #693384 14th Mar 2018 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>