↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Breakdown cover - worthwhile or waste of money?
Breakdown cover:
Have it, but have never used it
11%
 11%  [7]
Have it, and have used it once or twice
75%
 75%  [47]
Have it, and have used it several times in the past year
9%
 9%  [6]
Waste of money
3%
 3%  [2]
Total Votes: 62

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Thon

United Kingdom 
Always have it, used it many times for accidents (2 x motorcycle) and breakdowns (probably another 4 times) over the 30 plus years since I started driving / riding.

Cost wise it probably breaks even compared to having to pay recovery, and it makes it simple if you do break down.
Post #693390 14th Mar 2018 10:02pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
+1 on LV/Brittania Rescue.

I've used them once, and experienced them once and the service on both occasions was far better than I experienced when I've used the AA.

Add to the fact that it was cheaper for me to take out an entire policy with LV than add European cover to my existing AA policy of 5 years, and that they don't play silly Censored with the pricing every year, I won't be going back to the AA in a hurry.
Post #693395 14th Mar 2018 10:17pm
L110CDL

England 
I have had cover for nearly 30 years now and would not be with out it, it's just that piece of mind it's there when you need it and i have used it a few times now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #693434 14th Mar 2018 11:40pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
In the early days of defender ownership have had to have the RAC on speed dial, has had less use these days, but they tend to get a call at once or twice a year from us, punctures mainly. Mrs MBD not keen on jacking up the defender on a busy A14, needless to say nor am I

Worth every penny for the peace of mind Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #693468 15th Mar 2018 8:45am
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
+ for Brinattia Rescue (lv).

I’ve been with them for a number of years and we have called them out for various vehicles over the years.

An example of their service, a couple of years ago SWMBO was driving her Freelander to Exeter Airport to catch a flight. The car broke down on the A30 about 20 miles from Exeter. Called Brittania they recovered the car to the recovery firm’s garage and dropped her at the Airport in time for her flight. Whilst she was away the garage decided that the Freelander was above their pay grade (turned out to be an injector problem). Contacted Brittania and they arranged for the recovery firm to pick SWMBO from the Airport on her return, collect the car then take it to our local independent, dropping SWMBO at home on the way! I was amazed and grateful. I’ve also used them in Spain, breakdown truck arrived within 45mins to a campsite in Northern Spain!

Worth th cost for the peace of mind if nothing else! 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #693490 15th Mar 2018 10:44am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Have Breakdown cover, had not used it for nearly 10 years.

Ended up using it on the way home from Romania last year when the Headgasket let go, got flown home, and the 110 recovered home- it appeared about 7 weeks later on a transporter.

Worth having.
Post #693611 15th Mar 2018 9:07pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I get RAC breakdown cover through my bank as part of a package so I don’t really notice the cost. As everyone else says, it’s only good when you need it! Mine covers me for call outs at home which admirably is where most issues happen when I’m away.

Mine covers me rather than a specific car, so I can call them out regardless whether I’m the driver or not.

No that’s a real plus Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #693623 15th Mar 2018 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Breakdown cover - worthwhile or a waste of money?

We drive Land Rovers... Shocked

LV / Britannia £70 PA
2 Land Rovers Covered
+ Caravan recovered to home or planned destination
+ 1 Months Cover in Europe (including Caravan)

Used on 4 occasions in 25 years...

3 breakdowns + 1 failed attempted theft (layers saved her but she was un-drivable)

Especially now, I really wouldn't want to leave the vehicle at a break down...get her home
or to a garage (if not fixed road side).

1 uninsured breakdown recovery from a motorway is now reported to be around £250
so for <£50 PA / Vehicle IMO I think it's worth having.

Not a lover of insurance generally but this still feels right...if this happens...(Ignition Switch Crying or Very sad )

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck everyone SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #693633 15th Mar 2018 10:15pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It’s worth remembering, if you breakdown on a motorway in this country and can’t sort your own recovery, the bare minimum you will be charged for recovery is £150, which will just get you shifted to the nearest place of safety off the motorway or to the recovery operators yard. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #693636 15th Mar 2018 10:26pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

We have ours through our bank account, and it’s more than paid for itself.. even if that’s just getting the other half running because she’s used the FBH for hours on end and flattened the battery on the FFRR or the defenders thrown its toys out!

I’ve also had to call out BMW on my last 335d and Mercedes on my current C350 so although new cars come with 3 years it’s not unnecessary Big Cry

Usually you can limp a defender home, but a failed fuel pump 300 miles away - no thanks! That’s a long way to drive with no power... Rolling with laughter
Post #693667 16th Mar 2018 6:06am
Procta

United Kingdom 
my dads had the AA for 40 years, as soon as I got my 1st car my dad got me in with the AA. he has had to use them a few times. I have had to use them once, even then i may have got the car started again, the a speed bump tripped the inherta switch, But i couldn't get it release. No tools in the car at the time.
Nice to have as an option mind, not matter what car it is. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #693740 16th Mar 2018 12:30pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
TJH1985 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

We have ours through our bank account, and it’s more than paid for itself.. even if that’s just getting the other half running because she’s used the FBH for hours on end and flattened the battery on the FFRR or the defenders thrown its toys out!

I’ve also had to call out BMW on my last 335d and Mercedes on my current C350 so although new cars come with 3 years it’s not unnecessary Big Cry

Usually you can limp a defender home, but a failed fuel pump 300 miles away - no thanks! That’s a long way to drive with no power... Rolling with laughter

That was my dad last year when the clutch died, add to the recovery truck a caravan. A few people say why do i have a second car, and i tell you what its worth having a second little runner about. Just to keep you on the road Thumbs Up
At the moment the HDI is helping my mum out. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #693741 16th Mar 2018 12:33pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Look at my avatar Rolling with laughter a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #693743 16th Mar 2018 12:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Used many times in the past, indeed for a period of time it seemed it was an annual occurrence with one of my other vehicles but not had a need to call on it in more recent years.

Best use was in Spain, vehicle recovered back home and hire car delivered to finish remaining portion of holiday.

Have personal cover that includes the wife with recovery to any place in the country. Who wants to be 10 miles up the road when you have broken down many miles from home?

Always been with Green Flag, but I notice a whittling back on benefits each year; and oddly personal package cover is cheaper if I put the defender in as the main vehicle rather than her Smart...go figure...

Chocolate wrote:
Then I needed them this year when the Smart car wouldn't start. Turned out to be a starter motor.

Not a micro hybrid drive version was it?

Fat Cog wrote:
I find all these breakdown cover costs horrific...I've got a couple of vehicles owned by my daughters which are out of manufacturers warranty & get breakdown cover with rescuemycar.com at £17.50 per year with a £40 excess.

https://www.rescuemycar.com

Going to have to try and remember them come renewal time Thumbs Up

Actually just looked and been quoted £28.90 for Vehicle Based Membership With £40 Excess, Roadside Assistance - "If we’re unable to fix your vehicle we’ll tow you up to 10 miles to your home, original destination or a local garage."

Is that a defender premium kicking in?
Post #693935 17th Mar 2018 7:40am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I used mine the week before Xmas, the Ewok had a flat, the RAC rocked up in 40 minutes ( bang on the very minute they stated...lucky) took me and the wheel to get a tyre on and fitted it.

8 years ago was the first time I used them. P38 threw a pulley. POS
Post #693950 17th Mar 2018 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>