↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Unable to disarm immobiliser after dead battery! Stuck!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
munday1609

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zermatt Silver
Unable to disarm immobiliser after dead battery! Stuck!
Hi all, I posted this on another forum but also posting here, if anyone has any advice please share - also hoping this will help others in a similar situation as I can't find too much on Google.

--- 13th March 2018

Hello everyone, first post here though I regularly browse the forums, hoping someone can help me as I'm absolutely stumped.

I must have left my ignition on overnight for roughly two nights, went to start her today and nothing whatsoever. The vehicle is a 13' Defender 90, I have noticed the immobiliser is still armed and I'm unable to turn it off due the key fobs no longer working.

So the car is stationary, I can't start it, I've disconnected the battery for half an hour hoping to reset the alarm/immobiliser but once reconnected, on comes the immobiliser. Im unsure why the key fobs no longer work (I have two) but i've also tried to remove the battery from them, leave it for a minute or two, insert the batteries and again, nothing whatsoever.

I can open the car with the key, I've tried to open/lock several times (the central locking works).. but every attempt, I'm left with nothing - the immobiliser remains on and I can't start the thing for the life of me. (also tried pressing the lock button 4 times to re-sync the fobs... nothing!)

I've checked the handbook and I can see that I might need an EKA code which for some reason I can't find in my folder that came with the car. I tried using an online service to track down the EKA (radiocodes.co.uk) but they advise there is no EKA code registered.. so I'm at a loss. I'll speak to Landrover tomorrow, perhaps they can give me an EKA code.

Anyone experienced this before? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Jimbo

--- 14th March 2018

Hi Chaps, appreciate the replies. The engine cranks for 2 seconds and then dies, I've noticed this previously when the immobiliser is armed, the car refuses to actually fire up and "run".

I managed to get my EKA from the dealers, sat in the drivers seat and followed procedure in the handbook (turn key to II and then back to 0 while opening and closing the door etc to correlate with my EKA). Nothing! I noticed it said in the handbook that the alarm will sound but it never did, it doesn't seem as though the alarm is engaged at all, just the immobiliser.

I have tried almost everything except charging the battery further and replacing the key fob batteries. At the moment I have the battery hooked up to the Disco (removed it from the Defender first) to see if it needs a little more juice (Which I doubt somehow but you never know). If all else fails, I'll head into town tomorrow to get another battery and two new key fob batteries.

FYI, when sitting in the drivers seat, the red flashing light on the dash flashes intermittently as if the immobiliser was active (every 4 seconds or so). I just can't seem to deactivate it, I also tried to resync the fobs outside of the car by pressing the LOCK button 4 times (probably closer to 20) but it's non responsive. Wondering if the batteries would have died in the fobs while somehow searching for the receiver while the car had "run out of battery" as such... Mad idea but plausible I suppose.

In fact i'll head down to the garage now to pick up some new batteries for the fobs.. I hoped the EKA would have worked but i'm either doing it incorrectly, or it's just not working! Sigh

Thanks for your replies chaps
Jimbo

--- Update

Okay some good and bad news, hoping this can actually help someone if stuck in the same situation as I.

So I changed the batteries in both fobs for brand spanking new ones, didn't do a thing, fobs still won't respond - so that's that ticked off.

Good news: I managed to start the car and keep it going. How? I left the ignition turned to point II when reconnecting the battery, for some unknown reason this bypassed the immobiliser and I was able to start it. This means I am now able to drive from A to B..

The bad news: I noticed the red immobiliser/alarm light stayed on when the vehicle was running, I had a suspicion that when I turned the car off, the immobiliser would reactivate as normal and leave me stranded (considering the fobs don't work either).. and as soon as I turned it off and removed the key, bingo - back to square one.

So if you're ever stuck, disconnect the battery leaving the ignition at point II (on) give it ten to twenty mins, reconnect the battery (making sure the ignition is on) and you should be able to start it straight away - means you might not have to pay a recovery bill.

The downside is, back to square one again....

[END]

Any help greatly appreciated Smile
Post #693379 14th Mar 2018 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1