↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > OzTent and Campmor tents in bad weather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deejayen

Scotland 
OzTent and Campmor tents in bad weather
I'm thinking about buying a tent which is tall enough to stand up in (about 6ft) and which has enough internal floor space for a single camp bed, chair and cooking/washing facilities. It would just be for me (ie one person). I'm in the North of Scotland, and would use it year-round.

I'm more used to smaller 'mountain' tents which can shrug off whatever the weather throws at them. However the larger tent would be for more comfortable nights combined with some day cycle rides. I've not done this style of camping before, but think it might be quite nice to have some space in which to pad around after a day on the bike.

I look at pictures of the OzTent, and haven't been able to convince myself that it would be a sensible choice for Scotland. A quick web search shows some reported problems of leaks, broken poles, condensation, along with indifferent support from the distributor and manufacturer. I'm not sure about the upright shape, and things like the awning, or the window flaps which can only be accessed from outside the tent.

I'm not too bothered about the "30 second pitch", which seems a bit of a sales gimmick, considering it would probably take ages to properly peg and guy the tent.

Anyway, I just wondered what your experiences of the RV1/RV2/RV3 might be, and if they're best avoided.

I'm not sure what alternatives there are - the Campmor Safari Hennie looks interesting with its sprung steel poles and canvas fabric etc. It's supposed to be strong, but I'm not sure if the materials and general design are a good choice for the UK.

With these large tents, how do you go about drying them out? I don't have a garage, and one can't always guarantee a spell of dry weather after a camping trip in Scotland!
Post #690888 4th Mar 2018 6:00pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi,

I have an Oztent RV-3 ( and a number of other tents). My experience is as follows:

1) Biggest issue is the pack size - its around 2m long when packed and as I have a cargo barrier, I have to carry it on the roof bars. Again, roof bars have to be spaced suitably to carry the tent ( I have three bars).

2) Condensation - this was an issue till i got the fly-sheet which stays on permanently. But it adds to the pitch time as its four more guy lines

3) Robustness of material/leaks - touch wood not had any issues so far

4) Dealer support - heard bad things but luckily never had to contact them.

I believe it will stand up to strong winds but I think there are also other tents out there that could do the job

This Robens Klondike tent looks awesome and if I didn't already have too many I would get one

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/tents/outback/klondike
Post #690891 4th Mar 2018 6:15pm
kmac

Howling Moon do a similar tent to the Oztent - see here

https://www.flatdoguk.com/wizz-24~1617
Post #690892 4th Mar 2018 6:19pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
I’m looking for a new tent currently, the Jet Tent by Oz tent is currently at the top of my list. It’s more expensive than the oz tent but the 2m long pack size kills the oz for me- I don’t want it on the roof.

I understand the f25/x comes with a fly that goes over the top giving double layering where the rain would hit. I’m hoping I can look at one local to me, I see Boab are based not far away so I will try them. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #690896 4th Mar 2018 6:32pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Tentipi with a fire - warm, tall, quick to put up and will withstand gales

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #690901 4th Mar 2018 6:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Apart from using Oztents we actually sell them so that is declaration of interest done!

Yes the 30 second bit is advertising blurb. Yes 30 seconds out of bag and upright but then have to peg it out.

Oztents leaking? Very rare. Yes we have had Oztents out in very wet conditions.

Condensation? Normally due to misuse of the tent. Use the ventilation flaps correctly and no problem. We do not normally use a flysheet and have only experienced minor condensation once. A flysheet would have solved that.

Poles? Drill a 6mm hole in rubber foot and spray some WD40 sometimes. There was an issue with the plastic collars on the poles splitting 2 or 3 years ago. That issue seems to have been resolved now. Broken poles NO.

We have very few issues with Oztents. Normally they are obvious on first putting up tent. Had a zip sewn in the wrong way but we just exchanged the tent.

If used correctly the Oztent is a good tent. Do not use it correctly then you may have issues.

Ye other companies have tried to copy it but in my opinion not same quality

HTH

Brendan
Post #690916 4th Mar 2018 7:33pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've had an RV4 for many years and recently also acquired an RV3 and an RV1. Our RV4 has withstood many a storm - in fact we bought it after using it to shelter from a huge rainstorm in the dealers demo field. The reputation for condensation hasn't ever affected us, but then we always leave the top & rear flaps open to give night time ventilation. Many people try to keep a tent warm - this is the problem: tents are to keep you dry and out of the wind. Sleeping bags and clothing etc are for warmth.

The 30 sec pitch thing is nonsense. You can make it look like a shelter in 30 sec but little more. Like many tents it takes a good while to properly guy it out, even if you don't bother with them all.

Dealer support? Only ever needed it to report 2 missing poles from a kit. They arrived the day after reporting their absence.

I like the modularity of the RV range, and how they can be interfaced to vehicles and trailers. The 2m pack length hasn't ever been a problem - the RV4 even fitted into my Lightweight - one end against the windscreen and the other resting on the top of the tailgate. Nowadays they all go inside the 101 or on the roof rack of the 110.

I was previously a mountain tent user, in fact my Terra Nova Quasar is still part of the camping essentials kit as a teenager bedroom.
Post #690921 4th Mar 2018 7:39pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I'm not sure what the facination with OZ tents are as a ground dwelling tent, it seems to be a marketing ploy towards adventure or overlanding people, there are a wealth of tents available which serve the same purpose and are a fraction of the cost.

Wild country/Terra nova tents are used worldwide in extreme conditions, i've used mine in Iraq, Norway and bonny Scotland and although this is a smaller 2 man tent ( it was strapped to a mountain bike in Wales for a week ) i have a 5 man which is bullet proof as well.

Seperate fly sheet is stuffed in it's own bag when wet and used the following night, it doesn't affect the inner and you're kept dry.

I had a quick look for you http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spar...ing-tent-/ well under half the price of an Oz tent and provides you with what you need.
Post #690926 4th Mar 2018 8:10pm
kmac

To address your point about drying out, with the Oztent you have to dry it out by pitching - as the frame system is built into the tent you cannot just hang it up in a shed as you would a conventional tent. never been a major issue for me though.

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression - I really like the tent and use it a lot. I even have the sides so the awning area is well sheltered. At a recent gathering of canoeists, during a heavy downpour, I had quite a few taking shelter under the Oztent awning.

If you get too many attachments though it will take ages to put up.
Post #690929 4th Mar 2018 8:15pm
kmac

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23Nwn39]
Click image to enlarge
Post #690937 4th Mar 2018 8:31pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
boode wrote:
Tentipi with a fire - warm, tall, quick to put up and will withstand gales

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

+1 for the. Tentipi, I have a Safir 9 which me and the wife used with an Oztent king goanna stretcher each (before the kids came along). If we are stopping for a couple of day we put the floor in, if just over night we don’t bother with the floor.

people do take the Censored out of you at camp sites when they first see it, but that changes after you have a warm and cosy night and they have a wet and cold night Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #690940 4th Mar 2018 8:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin 01

I’ll be putting one of these up for sale.
Great bit of kit, seems pretty bomb proof.
Not the lightest tent out there but the metal poles are very strong.
You can fit in a couple of stretcher beds in at either side with space down the middle.
I’m 6’3’’ & can stand up in it.
If you want any more info on it just pm me Thumbs Up

http://www.flatdoguk.com/safari%2ddome%2d2%2e5m%7e2432
Post #690971 4th Mar 2018 9:28pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Thanks very much for all the info and pictures.

I'll need to weigh up all the pros and cons of the different designs, and try to think how I might actually use the tent.

I've come across a bad review of a Campmor tent - it makes me wonder if perhaps some of the Australian and South African tents aren't quite ideal for our weather conditions.

I looked into the Tentip range about 10 years ago -I still have the 2008 catalogue. I think one of those might be good, but I was put off by a Youtube video I saw a few months ago which made it look really complicated to set up with the floor, inner tent and stove. I think all the pulleys and straps for opening the vents were confusing. However, I'll maybe look into them again. I'm not sure if a Safir 5 would be too small. I think one site says it's a bit small for a fire, but perhaps one of the Heat Pal things would be a good option. Do you find that floors and inner tents are necessary (especially when midgies are about)?
Post #690996 4th Mar 2018 10:45pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I don’t have an inner tent and have never had an issue with midgies.

In the top there is a fly sheet that you roll away when the stove is fitted or pull out when not. The pulleys aren’t that had by when you open the top in conjunction with the lower vents you get a really well ventilated tent with no midgies.

When we set up I set out the pegs, we hook the tent up and the the wife goes in with the centre pole. I then tension the tent while she puts the floor in.

I was able to try one out where I met Boode and had to have one. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #691001 4th Mar 2018 10:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Scottish midges in mid summer if not extremely heavy rain, then good inbuilt groundsheet and mosquito netting.

Just be careful about reviews on the net. People are more prone to put up bad reviews rather then good reviews.

Brendan
Post #691005 4th Mar 2018 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>