↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender Wiper Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kjones21

United Kingdom 
Defender Wiper Woes
Help - I'm experiencing issues with my windscreen wiped and am at the end of my technical knowledge - hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.....

On my 2003 Defender 90 hardtop a couple of months ago my wipers failed. I identified the problem to being with the gears inside the motor. These were replaced and things worked ok for a week or so.

Then the wipers started to not switch off even after the stalk had returned to the off position. Suspecting the park switch on the motor, I subsequently replaced this but the problem continued. My attention then turned to the relay which I also replaced without success.

On investigating today, I found that if the ignition switch is on, but the engine not running, the wipers work fine, turning off as they should; however, when the engine is running the wipers do not stop once started. I've found that the only way to stop them is by pulling out the fuse when the blades touch the home position. If I do this they stop until next time the stalk switch is activated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kev
Post #690853 4th Mar 2018 3:37pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Looks like an earth problem too me. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #690856 4th Mar 2018 4:01pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Re: Defender Wiper Woes
kjones21 wrote:
Help - I'm experiencing issues with my windscreen wiped and am at the end of my technical knowledge - hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.....

On my 2003 Defender 90 hardtop a couple of months ago my wipers failed. I identified the problem to being with the gears inside the motor. These were replaced and things worked ok for a week or so.

Then the wipers started to not switch off even after the stalk had returned to the off position. Suspecting the park switch on the motor, I subsequently replaced this but the problem continued. My attention then turned to the relay which I also replaced without success.

On investigating today, I found that if the ignition switch is on, but the engine not running, the wipers work fine, turning off as they should; however, when the engine is running the wipers do not stop once started. I've found that the only way to stop them is by pulling out the fuse when the blades touch the home position. If I do this they stop until next time the stalk switch is activated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kev

Think someone just fixed a similar problem last month. I believe they found the circlip on the motor shaft had worn down and allowed the gear to drift away from the park switch. Have a search for” wiper problems”

Patrick
Post #690923 4th Mar 2018 8:03pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
It may have been me?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic57031.html?highlight=wipers 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #690928 4th Mar 2018 8:14pm
donmacn

^^^^^^ Definitely worth a look. I saw this post earlier and couldn't think of anything to contribute, but the post above jogged a memory.

I wish I could remember the symptoms (300Tdi) but it was something about wipers failing to stop. I tried waggling the switch every which way, I think I even bought and fitted a new switch.

When I looked at the motor itself the circlip was gone.

But, there's a sting in the tail. The wiper drive gear circlip is a particular thickness. I didn't have one to match, so fitted one that was slightly thicker. This isn't a solution, because whatever fraction of a millimetre thicker it is, it's adding extra friction and I now don't have the second/faster speed on my wipers. Not a big deal as I rarely ever use it, but one of thos annoying things.

As I see it the only way to get the right circlip is to buy the whole drive gear/arm. From memory that was about £18. I know mine was fairly new, so that makes it a very expensive circlip... I guess I will get round to it later this spring when I take the dash out. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #690930 4th Mar 2018 8:16pm
ian series 1

I’ve not had any issues with my wipers since i fitted a fatter circlip. Very Happy 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #690933 4th Mar 2018 8:22pm
donmacn

Yeah, I saw that Ian - you posted while I was replying to Patrick's post. I read your thread, and was surprised to read that.

Maybe the one I used was quite substantially thicker? I know it was just something I picked up from one of those boxes of odds n sods we all keep around. It fitted the shaft OK, so it got me back on the road and has kept me there - apart from not having the twin speed.

I'll need to take it out and see if I can't just find something slightly thinner. It must just be a fairly marginal thing, but enou to make a difference. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #690935 4th Mar 2018 8:26pm
ian series 1

Maybe run a flat file over it, might be enough? Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #690938 4th Mar 2018 8:32pm
donmacn

Thank you. Honestly, that's so obvious I hadn't thought of it! Thumbs Up Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #690942 4th Mar 2018 8:37pm
kjones21

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been round checking earth connections this afternoon and all seems ok on that area.

The problem seems intermittent. It always works fine unless the engine is running, in which case the wipers will not stop most of the time.

Given that I replaced the motor gearing, I'm going to take a look at the circlip issue highlighted above as my next step. There were a lot of shims supplied with the kit and maybe I put something in the wrong position. I'll keep you posted.
Post #690955 4th Mar 2018 8:58pm
kjones21

United Kingdom 
Thanks to all the suggestions, its now fixed.

The problem seemed to be the wrong sequence of washers / shims when fitting the new gearing inside the motor housing. The park switch was only intermittently activating therefore causing spurious results when operating the wipers.

That'll teach me to remember how things came apart in the first place!

Now if only I could work out where those left over dashboard screws came from......
Post #693381 14th Mar 2018 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1