↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
srod

Tracking
Just replaced the bent track rod and drag arm on my truck, also worn ball joints.

Watched this video on setting the tracking:

I didn't have a suitable mop handle, so made something up out of a bit of 15mm copper pipe, some 10mm threaded rod and a couple of nuts and had a go myself.

Just taken it to get it done by a local tyre shop. A nice Monday morning treat for them, all nice new greased components!

My DIY effort was only 3 degrees out!
Post #691123 5th Mar 2018 11:53am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well done Thumbs Up 3 degrees is not bad at all. It is amazing how well you can do this DIY.

I use the old tried and tested string method when I have to do a DIY tracking, works beautifully on vehicles like Defenders. The bonus is that it can be done absolutely anywhere in the world without electricity, a garage and fancy laser guided devices.

Pretty much what this guy does - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYsd7SUwTA[url]
Post #691129 5th Mar 2018 12:21pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Funnily enough, had to change the tracking arm on mine on Saturday as the old one was bent.

I use something akin to the string method but use some wire with a bungee cord to tension it across the back of the vehicle between the rear wheels. Also allows you to centre the steering reasonably accurately. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #691168 5th Mar 2018 2:56pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Tracking
srod wrote:
Watched this video on setting the tracking:

He does an excellent series Thumbs Up

I think I've read about many race teams that use the string method to set up their cars rather than laser or other high tech methods...so it must work.

Click image to enlarge
Post #691212 5th Mar 2018 6:36pm
srod

String method looks great. How much harder can it be?!

Might check mine now it's been set by the tyre shop, using both my pipe&rod method and the string. See how they compare.

Guessing there was a bit of luck getting it so close on my first go. Was pleased, but also gutted, 3deg seemed close enough to me and that is the first time my truck has had any professional attention since in have owned it...
Post #691262 5th Mar 2018 9:26pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Makes it sound an awful lot like the laser tracking tools are there for the convenience of the tyre shop not the accuracy of the job... Rolling Eyes
Post #691266 5th Mar 2018 9:36pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Laser tracking kit is easier/quicker to set up and can easily be fitted to any vehicle. Imagine the time it would take to set up posts and bits of string every time a customer came in. And if you have a car where the wheel centres are recessed into bodywork you have to fit spacer blocks to the wheels to make the string clear the body work in between the front and rear wheels.

Realistically we're only talking about millimetre accuracy at most, which is easy enough to achieve with a tape measure. The accuracy just depends on the person doing the job and how much care they want to put into it.
Post #691340 6th Mar 2018 2:53am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I always use the string method. It's accurate enough, easy to do, cost free and can be done anywhere.
When I built the 90 I treated it to a tracking set up at a local chain place in Stevenage, they presented to me with 5mm of toe out. I questoned that figure to be told 'that's standard mate'. Once I'd told them that I wouldn't pay until it was reset to the factory specs which was 0- -1, they sheepishly redid it.
Do it yourself by whatever method, at least you'll know then that it's right 👍
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #691390 6th Mar 2018 11:09am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LOL - reminds me of the time a high street garage did mine and left the steering wheel a few degrees out. When I asked them to put it right they said the steering needed to settle in and would adjust itself over the next few months.

After I finished laughing and asked them to explain in more detail what would move, they put it back on the ramp and started again.
Post #691401 6th Mar 2018 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1