Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
TD5 Clutch/Gearbox issue
Hi,

guessing this'll be a "replace the clutch solution"

My 2004 TD5 County has started being funny 1st thing in the morning. Trying to select a gear results in a screeching noise when you put clutch in and inability to selet a gear. Then eventually you get it into a gear and from then on it works for the rest of the day. Next morning ... or probably extended stationary period same thing happens.

Suggestions ?

Rgds
Alex Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #689945 1st Mar 2018 1:54pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I have the screeching clutch issue in cold weather, but no problem selecting gears. It only makes a noise for the first clutch operation of the day (pulling off the driveway), then it's fine for the rest of the day. It makes the noise as the clutch bites though, not when the pedal is depressed. It's done it for years. Did yours make a noise before the gear selection issue? Or have the two things happened at the same time? 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #689950 1st Mar 2018 2:03pm
harbydog

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Barolo Black
Sounds like spigot bush. Which means opening it up to replace the £5 part, so you may as well do the clutch at the same time. If not that, clutch release bearing, but spigot bush is only normally noisy when cold. Either way, both normally adviseable to get done at the same time.
Post #689989 1st Mar 2018 4:45pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Thst's what I thought, Effie had t ohave a clutch at 88K, this one has done 110K, got away with replacing master/slave cylinders 'bout 88K but knew it was going to happen sometime Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #690173 2nd Mar 2018 10:30am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Green Machine wrote:
I have the screeching clutch issue in cold weather, but no problem selecting gears. It only makes a noise for the first clutch operation of the day (pulling off the driveway), then it's fine for the rest of the day. It makes the noise as the clutch bites though, not when the pedal is depressed. It's done it for years. Did yours make a noise before the gear selection issue? Or have the two things happened at the same time?

As you said, makes noise when it bites. Still have issue with selecting gears though, so perhaps something else other than spigot bush Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #690174 2nd Mar 2018 10:31am
srod

Quote:
As you said, makes noise when it bites. Still have issue with selecting gears though, so perhaps something else other than spigot bush

Assuming that its the spigot that is the problem - could it be that it there's enough friction between the dried out spigot and shaft that there's a small amount of torque being applied to the gearbox shaft, effectively spinning up the gearbox so your clutch pedal is doing nothing, thus preventing gear changes? Could you try giving it some revs when the clutch pedal is down to see if that helps free it off sooner? Or starting it in gear but with the clutch pedal down?
Post #690183 2nd Mar 2018 11:03am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I had this problem of squeaking clutch for 4 years on Discovery 2. It was worse when cold, and it was slowly going from bad to very bad ant to gear changing problems. In terminal stadium when I was in low gear the car was slowly moving with pressed clutch.
All was because of the spigot bush. I have replaced the small cheap thing, and all is OK. Because of the labour with removing both gearboxes, I had also changed the clutch, refurbished both gearboxes and propshafts. Quite a lot of work for the small thing. Evil or Very Mad Now it is all OK for nearly 2 years. But on 130 the squeak is slowly starting. Twisted Evil "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #690239 2nd Mar 2018 3:20pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Mine squeeked/vibrated so much once today it lit the MIL light! obviously triggered the crank pos sensor or something!
Post #690302 2nd Mar 2018 7:23pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
srod wrote:
Quote:
As you said, makes noise when it bites. Still have issue with selecting gears though, so perhaps something else other than spigot bush

Assuming that its the spigot that is the problem - could it be that it there's enough friction between the dried out spigot and shaft that there's a small amount of torque being applied to the gearbox shaft, effectively spinning up the gearbox so your clutch pedal is doing nothing, thus preventing gear changes? Could you try giving it some revs when the clutch pedal is down to see if that helps free it off sooner? Or starting it in gear but with the clutch pedal down?

And if I engage gear clutch pedal down and then start, everything is o.k.
Guess I'll start saving for a clutch upgrade Sad Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #691100 5th Mar 2018 10:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This was a common problem with the Td5 circa 2002-4, apparently there was a batch of sintered spigot bushes used in production which hadn't been impregnated. My Disco had a new bush under warranty because of these exact symptoms.
Post #691107 5th Mar 2018 11:09am
srod

Having tackled this job myself due to the annoying noise, and seeing that there seemed to be nothing wrong except a lack of grease, the job almost felt like a waste of time. Should have just put up with the squeal.

However hearing that things can end up getting seized up like this now makes me think it was good to get it sorted. Good luck with your fix!
Post #691119 5th Mar 2018 11:47am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
This was a common problem with the Td5 circa 2002-4, apparently there was a batch of sintered spigot bushes used in production which hadn't been impregnated. My Disco had a new bush under warranty because of these exact symptoms.

And of course Effie is a 2004 110 County Sad Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #691192 5th Mar 2018 4:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it's lasted 14 years you've had your money's worth!
Post #691193 5th Mar 2018 4:39pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Mines a 2003 110 and mine has this squealing and sometimes a bad 1 to 1 vibration letting out the clutch when cold....
I hope i dont need to drop the driveline for this.....but sounds like i’ll have to....☹️
Post #691226 5th Mar 2018 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1