Home > Technical > Defender 90 Puma. Bad connection rear of instrument cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy730

Isle Of Man 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Defender 90 Puma. Bad connection rear of instrument cluster
Hello to the group.

I have experienced an on-going 'non-start' issue with my defender. A quick description is that the car would unlock OK, then when i tried to start the car the engine would turn over for a second or so, then stop. further attempts the engine wouldn't even turn over for a second.

I found that some of the dash lights would not be lit up, oil/ignition/engine light and the green window that is the miles meter would be off.

I changed the switch on the rear of the Key barrel as i found (by accident) that if i pulled/pushed the wires behind the switch the lights on the dash would return to normal and the car would start just fine.

Further investigation resulted in me pinpointing the cable bundle & plug that supplies the instrument cluster.

I have found that with the cluster unscrewed and if i get my hand behind the cluster i can pull/twist/push the plug that is fitted to the cluster and this causes the fault to appear and then clear.

It is my assumption that the poor connection is affecting what the immobiliser 'sees' and if it thinks the dash has been 'got at' then it arms immobiliser.

So far, i've not been able to locate the actual problem, i guess it could simply be a bad pin within the plug, of a broken wire connected to the plug...

As it is, i drive around with the cluster held in place with just one screw, and if i get stranded, i move the wires that go to the plug, and then it's OK again. Not great i know, but needs must.

So, anyone had a problem like this??? Andy
2007 Puma Defender
2005 Volvo S60 T5 (for Sundays)
1998 MGF
Post #688210 22nd Feb 2018 1:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The AS10 immobiliser cannot communicate directly with the engine ECM on the TDCi, since the ECU is CanBus based and the AS10 is not.

The AS10 therefore communicates with the IPAC (instrument cluster) via a proprietary interface, and the IPAC communicates with the engine ECM via CanBus.

It is entirely possible - highly likely, in fact - that a poor connection on the IPAC will cause all manner of starting and running problems.
Post #688246 22nd Feb 2018 5:19pm
Andy730

Well, there's another new thing i've learnt Smile

Trying to pinpoint the actual problem is a pain in the bum as it would be fine for a day or so, then would simply fail to start at a random point. Normally an inconvenient place/time as well... Crying or Very sad

In an attempt to count things out of the trouble list, i have disabled the passive part of the immobiliser.. My thinking is that 'something' in that bundle of wires & plug is upsetting the immobiliser) It will be interesting to see how it goes over this next day or so...

I suspect that i will have have to spend some time on the plug/cable assembly... It would be nice to actually find a broken wire, or burnt connection or something, but i doubt it will be that easy...

Sad Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #688263 22nd Feb 2018 5:59pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Andy,

I assume you've removed the connector from the instrument cluster to investigate?

As you'll have probably found the connector is closed with a locking lever and is very well secured. I'd bet someone may not have known this and tried to remove the plug incorrectly in the past if it has been damaged.

I'd start by removing the plug, pulling the wiring forward as far as you can to make sure the cloth tape is intact and it hasn't been chafing on anything behind the dash. Then I'd clean the connector and the receiver with WD40 or AC90 etc. ensuring all the pins are level, re-insert not forgetting to clip it all the way in and test.

Failing that one of the wires could be broken inside it's insulation and would need a multimeter along with an understanding of what to expect on each wire to find. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #688265 22nd Feb 2018 6:02pm
Andy730

Hi Ozzie,

Yes, had the plug out or off, and have had a good look at both the plug and the socket within the cluster... both looked OK... but it's well worth another look (maybe this weekend)

I shall also have a good look at the rest of the loom as it heads off behind the plastic (although i can't help feeling that it will be OK...)

I have some switch cleaner somewhere, i shall give that a go as well...

As to measuring resistance or continuity of each cable, that's not a problem, it's just knowing where the other end of each wire is...? Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #688310 22nd Feb 2018 9:17pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Exactly the problem Andy... Neutral

Maybe someone here has access to the detailed wiring diagrams for this particular area on TOPIx? Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #688337 22nd Feb 2018 11:36pm
Andy730

Now that would be really nice... Very Happy Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #688342 23rd Feb 2018 12:34am
Andy730

Well, it has been a little while, but with the help of a group on facebook, and some knowledgeable people, it seems that my issue is with the instrument cluster itself, possibly a dry joint on the internal PCB.

This fault could be anything, BUT there is also a line in and a line out that are from the immobiliser. The internal fault upsets this immobiliser in/out and thus, arms it and disables the car.

There is a good ‘work around’ that stops the car being disabled. I can’t claim this as mine, but it does work for me. It has come from a guy called Pete, and he seems to know his stuff.. See the attached JPG file, it shows that two wires need to be cut on the plug on the rear of the instrument cluster, and then linked together.

With this mod done, I can now start & drive my car without problem.
BUT… this has still left my with an intermittent fault of the instrument cluster, this fault affects my ignition & oil light, both fuel & temperature gauges and, sometimes the rev counter. The miles trip meter will also reset to zero.

I suspect the only fix for that one is to replace the cluster, but at almost £300, I can’t see that happening to soon… Tyres will be the next purchase for me…

Hope that this helps someone else…

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #702188 21st Apr 2018 5:09pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Either the ground (pin 17) or permanent 12V [BATT] (pin 1) of the cluster are dropping out - could be a dry joint at the connector on the PCB.

You may find someone/a company who is willing to repair rather than buy a new cluster.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #702222 21st Apr 2018 7:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy730

Martin,

A circuit diagram of the PCB would be great, but i guess that will be harder to find than reindeer poo. Laughing Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #702305 22nd Apr 2018 8:34am
Andy730

Martin wrote:
Either the ground (pin 17) or permanent 12V [BATT] (pin 1) of the cluster are dropping out - could be a dry joint at the connector on the PCB.

I cant help wondering if it is a ground issue as not everything is lost when it goes faulty, sometimes the rev counter drops out and the fuel/temp gauges go off, but the red ignition light comes on. That would seem to indicate that the main ground has disconnected, and a different route is being used for the ignition light. I've also had it where the hand break light comes on, but dull, like half power.

I wonder if anyone else has pulled a cluster apart before... Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #702531 22nd Apr 2018 10:57pm
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
I have a td5 so different cluster however I think I've got a ground issue on mine resulting in the fuel gauge working intermittently and the diff lock light flickering but dull similar to how you described as if it's half power.

My aerial doesn't work great on my stereo and research advises that ground issues may impact that so tonight's job was to sit down and try and read up on it
Post #703863 28th Apr 2018 6:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Earthing issues typically cause multiple issues, best way of checking that is for Earth contiunuity and or adding a temporary Earth or temporary earthing points.

You'd be surprised how many faults can be created by a loose earth. And worth checking them all. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #703883 28th Apr 2018 9:29pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Yes this is a work around and I think it’s possibly a TSB in Topix iirc as you’ve found with the green and slate wire. The problem is inside the cluster. There’s a guy called Mark that can repair these clusters and test them if you want his details drop me a PM
Post #703885 28th Apr 2018 9:43pm
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Apologies Andy, I don't want to hijack your thread but didn't want to effectively duplicate the topic in the section, hope this is ok?

Steve please could you expand/ advise more on finding the earth(s) etc. How do I check the continuity and add in temp or new earthing points. TBH I don't even know where to find them Embarassed
Post #703892 28th Apr 2018 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>