↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TD5 with no boost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Sounds to me if it went like stink then started struggling then it's over boosting and the ECU is limiting power.

I guess sticky wastegate - make sure it is easy to move with mole grips Thumbs Up

Failing that you may have a failed turbo? 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #689276 27th Feb 2018 2:19pm
Ears of a Hawk

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
TD5 with no boost
I fitted a mechanical boost gauge which taps off the EGR replacement fitting. I thought I had fitted it wrong but the Nanocom confirms the low boost pressure. The inlet manifold is a good shout. I did perform the soapy water test but didn't see anything. Perhaps I missed under the manifold. Because its my daily runner and I don't have another vehicle at the moment, I am reluctant to tear anything down. I may just have to just go for it.
Post #689279 27th Feb 2018 2:23pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
What about wastegate stuck open? Did you try to move it manually? "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #689281 27th Feb 2018 2:29pm
Ears of a Hawk

TD5 with no boost
Disconnected the wastegate & inspected. Made sure the wastegate mechanical mechanism was easily moved and the actuator was working. It just isn't getting up to the required pressure to actuate the wastegate.
If you read the rest of the thread - there was definitely an big event. It just seems funny that it is running ok but just not getting enough boost.
Post #689282 27th Feb 2018 2:32pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Split intercooler maybe?

Edit: sorry just re-read your first post. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #689326 27th Feb 2018 5:08pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Do you measure the boost while driving or just reving stationairy? You need load on the engine to really get boost pressure. I am not sure what mine gives just reving but it is very low maybe 0.3 bar max. Full throttle 3rd gear I get to about 1.25 bar. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #689329 27th Feb 2018 5:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: TD5 with no Boost
Ears of a Hawk wrote:
Can any Defender owners with high mileage help me out. I took off the Exhaust manifold heat shield and inspected for warped manifold. No visible signs. It didn't show up anything using soapy water spray.
Link up my new nanocom and checked Turbo pressure. This shows that the turbo pressure gets up to a maximum of 0.15 bar at over 2500rpm - it doesn't have enough to actuate the wastegate. Is there anyone out there who has had an issue like this - perhaps turbo related. Any additional tests I could perform before tearing down the Turbo. thanks

Hi EoaH. When you did your boost check with the Nanocom did you do it by just revving the engine at standstill? If so that would explain the low boost pressure. Testing boost should be done in vehicle, choose a nice long hill and starting in 3rd accelerate up it, same in 4th and see what the nanocom records. Best done with an engine up to temperature.

As for checking your exhaust manifold, usually there are tell tale signs of soot emanating from the mating surface where the system is not sealed anymore. It will look like this;

Click image to enlarge

You many also hear a rasping noise at certain speeds as the exhaust gasses vibrate the manifold gasket.
Post #689330 27th Feb 2018 5:25pm
dorsetsmith

Is fuel presser good i.e. 4bar Question
Post #689331 27th Feb 2018 5:29pm
Ears of a Hawk

TD5 with No Boost (low boost)
Just to bring this thread up to date. I have replaced the MAF. This had an immediate improvement on the low end power. However, the top end power was still rubbish. Drove around with the Nanocom on the vehicle to view what was happening live. I found that I was not getting enough boost pressure.

Adjusted the wastegate actuator in increments and got it up to 0.9 Bar. However, it still did not react well at top end power.

After a review of the EGR removal fitment instructions I realised that during the previous visit to get the injector seals replaced, the mechanic had refitted the EGR modulator connector. This was causing the erratic running at the top end. So the lesson is buy a Nanocom and never take the obvious for granted. The truck is running well again.

I do have another question though? Is 0.9/0.95 Bar boost pressure correct for the standard setup? When manually adjusting the wastegate actuator, I found that the boost would not go up passed this. Should I be able to take this up to 1.1/1.2 bar and the ECU not limit it?
Post #696241 26th Mar 2018 12:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi EoaH. Standard boost pressure should be between 1.0 Bar (at the turbo) depending upon what your map is and more importantly how much work the engine and turbo have done.

Standard turbo settings show about 13 threads exposed on the actuator before the locknut. Reduce the number of threads to increase the resistance on the wastegate actuator and raise the boost.

If you are not getting 1 bar boost at all then it is possible that there is something wrong with the diesel fuelling side of the equation. Either the fuel pressure modulator, fuel pump, fuel filter housing or the injectors (seals or units).

Just a thought. What is your elevation above sea level? It does have an effect if you are setting your boost pressure at altitude.
Post #696274 26th Mar 2018 3:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12