↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Electrical boffin's help needed please..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
verminhunter

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Electrical boffin's help needed please..
Hi I have two Numax CXV31MF batteries using one to power the truck and one for the winch.

I have been given a mastervolt 1202MT split charge/battery isolator (old type) to charge them. This model doesn't have the S terminal that allows connection to the alternators voltage regulator and the manual says there is a voltage drop across the isolator of about 0.7v and to adjust the alternator output to accommodate for this.
How can I do this? or will it be fine without it?

Here is a link to the on-line user manual, http://images.mastervolt.nl/files/ManualBatteryIsolator031020.pdf

Mine is the B1 202 with three large connection poles.

Defender TD5 90 year 2000 model.

Any advice would be great..
Post #118331 25th Jan 2012 12:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would suggest you PM K9F on here he's good at the 'technical' stuff Thumbs Up
Post #118338 25th Jan 2012 12:31pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Not heard from K9F all week ...

I had considered a few split charge units, but for most applications a VSR will do the job depending on how you wire up your winch.

VSR's are much easier to wire up and you don't need to route though to your alternator
Post #118459 25th Jan 2012 8:21pm
verminhunter

bpman wrote:
Not heard from K9F all week ...

I had considered a few split charge units, but for most applications a VSR will do the job depending on how you wire up your winch.

VSR's are much easier to wire up and you don't need to route though to your alternator

Ok so what would be the best way to wire up the winch if using a VSR..

What about this system any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280688697402?ssP..._508wt_970
Post #118461 25th Jan 2012 8:25pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
There will always be a 0.7v drop across any diode, this is just the way that they work.It's called the forward voltage drop.

As a result, you'll never get a battery fully charged. Instead of 13.7 or 14v as they are fully charged, it will be 13 or 13.3v.

Some say this will cause damage to the battery/your electrics/ozone layer etc. They are right in that lower voltage = higher current.

But... 0.7v isn't that much. So I'm afraid I don't really know the definitive answer.

Plenty of people use a blocking diode and the batteries work fine. Obviously something that gives 100% charge instead of 95% (0.7v from 14v is 5%) would be preferable.
Post #118488 25th Jan 2012 8:57pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If you are fitting extra battery for winch, don't fit split charger just connect both batteries together.

Split charge is only of use if you running fridges, lights ect with engine off.

Andy
Post #118489 25th Jan 2012 8:57pm
verminhunter

landy andy wrote:
If you are fitting extra battery for winch, don't fit split charger just connect both batteries together.

Split charge is only of use if you running fridges, lights ect with engine off.

Andy

Ho right! could you do me a idiots diagram how to wire both battery's together. sorted it it's parallel not series I need to do that's what I was wanting to confirm. not too confident with the electrical stuff that sparks a lot..
Post #118507 25th Jan 2012 9:42pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Not sure why you're even bothering with a second battery for that to be honest. Unless you regularly winch seriously heavy loads for long periods I'm at a loss as to why you need 2.
Post #118539 25th Jan 2012 11:02pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
verminhunter wrote:

Ho right! could you do me a idiots diagram how to wire both battery's together. sorted it it's parallel not series I need to do that's what I was wanting to confirm. not too confident with the electrical stuff that sparks a lot..

Connect live to live, and neg to neg, simples.

Andy
Post #118544 25th Jan 2012 11:07pm
verminhunter

I will be winching a lot and quite heavy loads, I also plan to do a lot of camping so lights maybe a fridge etc will be used in the future. I am trying to get the best most capable system I can instead of just making do. Then spending more time and money later doing what I needed to do in the first place.
My 90 will be getting used along with the winch etc not just sitting looking like it can be never will..
Post #118546 25th Jan 2012 11:08pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
landy andy wrote:
verminhunter wrote:

Connect live to live, and neg to neg, simples.

Andy

yes and no ... you don't want to leave live-to-live and neg-to-neg all the time as they will discharge each other .. thats why you need some type of battery management.

something like this http://www.ezacdc.com/prodimages/vsr_inst.pdf
Post #118547 25th Jan 2012 11:10pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Why not connect batteries together via master switch, run extra sockets etc for camping off the 'second batery', in normal use leave the switch on, using both, charging both, when camping, turn switch off thus isolating primary (vehicle starting) battery, so if you flatten the second one, you can still start the truck....

Keith
Post #118554 25th Jan 2012 11:17pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
bpman wrote:
yes and no ... you don't want to leave live-to-live and neg-to-neg all the time as they will discharge each other .. thats why you need some type of battery management.

You are right to a point! If you intend purchasing a second battery there will be a potential difference between a brand new battery and one that is say a few years old. If both batteries have the same capacitance and charge holding capability there will be no issues. Even not using a split charge system and utilising power 'offline' if your alternator can cope and your batteries are not too discharged it will be fine on a longer journey, purely depends on loading/ampere/hour rating of battery and alternator rating.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but am in Dry Dock Portsmouth desperately trying to drink my own body weight in Cider, eating steaks and avoiding the Milfs, Cougars and 'Growlers' that frequent the places that sell alcohol. Mental note: 'Kingleys' you must wear beer googgles prior to entry! Laughing

Landy Andy has it spot on! If you're not running peripheral equipment that needs powering when the alternator is 'off line' don't bother with the split charge system. Parrallel the batteries off and the alternator will charge both at the same time. I am considering fitting a Webasto for a forthcoming cold-climate trip and am considering doing the same as with only a 3 amp draw for maybe only an hour a split charge system would not be needed. Don't complicate the issue with extra kit that could go wrong! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #118560 25th Jan 2012 11:32pm
verminhunter

Thank you K9F that clears things up a treat for me. Electrics have never been a strong point due to me bee slightly colourblind. Both my batteries are the same and are the same age so I should be Ok.. Many thank's..

If you think Portsmouth is rough try Plymouth... If ever you go to Plymouth and see a rough bird with a chinese writing tattoo, ask if it says 'Swillyette' They are the worst a man can get.... And be ready to vacate rather quick.... most of them could pull a plough... Rolling with laughter
Post #118859 27th Jan 2012 10:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1