↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Discs / pads / bearings / tools.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Discs / pads / bearings / tools.
The Beast ( family named!) needs a little tlc before Norway. The front & rear discs were quite worn at last Service ( Landrover wanted an arm / leg / kidney to change them!) And a few weeks in Morocco at the end of last year has finished them off.

Question is I’m thinking of changing front /rear discs & pads plus the bearings while I’m at it, are there any special tools ( 52mm socket on order) apart from said socket needed? Also it’s still under warranty so going to replace with genuine parts, are the discs TRW & pads Mintex ( 2012 110sw 2.2 Puma) Is there anything else that needs ordering to complete the job possibly pins to retain the pads ect?
Last question, while doing bearings / pads / discs are there any other little jobs that’s worth doing while I’m at it?
Post #682086 27th Jan 2018 5:17pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
You will need multihex sockets for the disc and calliper, either loctite or new bolts for the callipers.
Have a look at the tracta seals and make sure they are fine, along with king pins. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #682167 27th Jan 2018 9:05pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Inspect your calliper's piston condition.

If they're corroded and you push them back to accommodate the new pads/discs you can damage the seals..

Any pitting or leaks from the swivel seals? Do them now. Any knocking/kicking in the swivel pins? Do them now.

Don't have a 200Nm+ torque wrench? Change to two nut system now. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #682173 27th Jan 2018 9:24pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just to confirm your parts list, you will need;

Front and rear discs
Front and rear pads
front and rear retaining pin kits
4x locking hub nuts
8x bearings (timken are excellent or there are LR branded items of course)
Hub seals, front and back of hub and font and rear of vehicle.
Lithium grease for packing the bearings.

Bear in mind extra items may be needed as things never go quite to plan. These could include callipers, hub flanges, stub axles and half shafts - Depending on how worn they are.

Tools: Piston retraction tool (big paddle version), small wire brushes, rags, gloves, 12 pointed socket set, torque wrench, breaker bar, chisel, lump hammer, rubber mallet, thread lock, brake cleaner...

This is an involved job, but easy enough for the DIY'er to do. Take your time, keep it clean, torque it up and don't forget to use thread lock...
Post #682175 27th Jan 2018 9:26pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
All the associated gaskets too...

Can get away without piston retraction tool if you're delicate with pry bars and scrap flat bar.

Agree will take time, and you likely will find other things in there to attend to. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #682177 27th Jan 2018 9:30pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Thank you for all the replies, the knloage base on here is great! I’m quite mechanically minded ( off road bikes mainly) but will have a good friend of mine helping me who’s a mechanic.
Couple of points mentioned the Caliper pistons, I changed the front pads before Morocco & yes as said the pistons were corroded ( as she’s done plenty of off road)
Question, would you be inclined to change all the pistons front & back to stainless? My nephew works for TRW in the r & d brake department and would be a job he could do with his eyes closed before the bearings/discs were done.
Second question, there was a mention of two nut system is this to use the second nut as a locking nut? If so has anyone got any more details?
It may seem over the top thinking of changing pistons but we get about in the old girl & she’s a keeper!
Post #682236 28th Jan 2018 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1