↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > best exhausts for the 300TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
best exhausts for the 300TDI
Ok lads what is the best system to go for? I am after something that's quiet and not restrictive and its stainless steel.
My Peugeot 306 HDI has a power flow exhaust which is great, made it more nippy than the stock system and its got a nice throaty burble
my dad got one made up from them for his 200 and he has nothing but trouble sadly, so I know its certain power flow dealers not taking much care in their work. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #681953 26th Jan 2018 7:35pm
Litch

England 
Whatever you do don't buy a Double S stainless system.
I bout a full system from them for my 300TDi ten years ago (when the original mild-steel system rotted out) and it went straight back for a refund. The reasons were that it was poorly made (the 90-degree bend on the downpipe had crimped the pipe excessively) and the CSA of the pipe used was considerably smaller than the original system. There was no quibble about the refund but they (Double-S) said that I was the first to complain and they had sold "hundreds" of identical systems without complaint. Instead I bought an un-branded SS down-pipe & centre section from a manufacturer at one of the shows and used a mild steel tail-box. In all cases these were the same CSA throughout as the original system and fitted & worked fine.

Fast forward to a few months ago.
The tail-box had rotted out (the mild-steel boxes seem to last 5-years which doesn't seem too bad to me) and a flange & hanger had rotted away on the SS centre-pipe (the actual pipe was still perfect). I bought a mild-steel replacement tail-box as usual but decided to go for a SS centre-pipe again. Ordered a SS straight-through unit and unfortunately a Double-S pipe arrived. The design was exactly the same as the one I rejected all those years ago (smaller CSA than the original with machined flanges that match up to the full-size bore of the remainder of the system) but needs must and as time was short on it went.

A few photos of the Double-S down-pipe.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #681981 26th Jan 2018 9:05pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Griffin performance have a lifetime warranty and you can have as many or as few silencers as you like. You can also have whichever diameter pipe you want.
Going to get one for my 90 this summer Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #681982 26th Jan 2018 9:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks Litch for the detailed info on the Double S exhaust, as i have had on fitted on my 110 with out a middle box for quiet a while now, must be at least 5 or more years now and not had one problem with it, i was very interested with your comments about the size being smaller, so i will have a good look at mine and see what size it is and the corner piece if it is the same as in your pic Wink out of interest, do you know what size the exhaust should be ? many thanks Thumbs Up
I was originally going to get a Twisted SS exhaust, but after 2 months off being told this and that about why i have not had it, then i had a call from them and they said that it's on the way, so i thought great, but when it was delivered, it was for a 90 not a 110, so after another call to them, i asked for a refund as this was the third month and i came to a conclusion that they could not make an exhaust for a 110, i got my full refund and i have never dealt with them and would never recommend them to anyone Evil or Very Mad
I was going to get a Griffin exhaust but then i saw Double S as they were not to far away from me and that is why i ended up with one Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #682500 28th Jan 2018 10:17pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
+1 on the double S system. Bought one for a V8 and it was a complete pile of carp. Fitted where it touched and leaked like a sieve. If you have the time go to PDGough in Nottingham and have them make you a system, Guaranteed to last er for ever

http://www.pdgough.com
Post #682512 28th Jan 2018 11:04pm
Litch

England 
I had a Double-S system on my 2.5NA D 90 and it was fine.
When I purchased the Double-S 300TDi system I saw that the pipe diameter was the same as the NA system but when you compare that with the pipe diameter of the original TDI system there is a significant difference (throughout).
I would rather have my engine breathing through the diameter exhaust that the factory felt to be correct and not one of smaller diameter. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #682694 29th Jan 2018 7:12pm
L110CDL

England 
^^^ i totally agree with you Litch Thumbs Up i just assumed that it would have been made with the same diameter as the original exhaust system Wink i did check mine today and as i don't know yet what the original diameter should be, the bend on the exhaust, that you have in your pic, mine is all circular, but it does narrow a bit on the inside of the bend Sad 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #682786 29th Jan 2018 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1