15%  [12]
Total Votes: 80

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
leeds wrote:
The trouble with this sort of questions is that if people are happy with a single product/brand they tend to stick to it. Tyres being a relatively long life product most people do not have a chance to do a side by side product test for themselves.

Brendan

Yup indeed..

This is what I'm trying to mine into. Tyre brand loyalty is a great thing and doesn't exist in the plain homogenous eurobox world they only shop on price and you rarely get a demand for a certain tyre brand.

Having run in the past:

Colway MT
BFGoodrich Extra traction
Greenway Macho
BFGoodrich AT KO
Insaturbo Sahara
Lassa Competus AT
BFGoodrich MT KM2
BFGoodrich Trac Edge

I would say hands down the Finest tyre was the Trac edge it was good on the road and Fan Bleddy Tastic off it. the perfect compromise with great life time but they don't make it anymore Big Cry Big Cry

Perhaps it's just me but I have in the past quite happily universally said BFG AT in a heartbeat. But perhaps it is because I will turn this into YouTube content that I owe it to some objectivity and this is bringing me to question the fact that the ST maxx offers the apparent same ability as the KO2 yet better pricing.

Curiosity has got me to wonder if I'm not the only one to think this. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #681969 26th Jan 2018 9:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, the Trac Edge... (looks wistfully off into the distance) Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #682002 27th Jan 2018 12:01am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
One thing to bear in mind is in my experience the BFGs are actually cheaper overall. I've never had a set last less than 65k and usually replaced them because they get too old and the rubber is tired.

Once you factor in the mileage you get out of them they become pretty cheap. My current set of KM2s has got over 45k on them but I'm thinking of changing them because I've only got 3/4" of tread left Laughing Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #682054 27th Jan 2018 2:24pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Silverline told me Cooper's were discontinuing the ST Maxx sometime ago but it still seems readily available?

What about Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs as used by LR? If you can get hold of them?? Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #682074 27th Jan 2018 3:54pm
Devon-Rover

LRA: They were the darling of the time when tyre choice wasn't no where near as big as it is today and many were still using SAT's as mudplugging tyre of choice.

Sako: the old KO was renown for lasting long but I found like many when the tread was low it was like a super hard compound and the feel was lost compared to new ones. Granted even BFG made an ad out of the few who got 100K out of a set of tyres. Does the KO2 last as long again research gives anywhere from 30K on a huge RAM3500 to many who get 50 - 60 ish before swapping.
On 265's my bros 90 running KM2's will be lucky to get 30K before they are worn enough to be useless offroad and needed new one's. Whilst not tread depth the edges do wear and round off so it loses it's 'bite' To give it a depth they probably get 1/2 - 2/3's worn at that stage. And like history repeating itself the old KM pattern was more capable IMHO.

JOW: Can't get duratracs in 235/85 but the common perception is sidewall vulnerabilities and noise even though a lot of LRE disco's and RR use them when on special projects or events. The ST maxx was relaunced in april 17 as a POR tyre so there isn't the usual compliance or tyre labeling like the normal brands.

I'm still torn as to what to do as Both tyres make a good case for themselves but I still don't see how the BFG earns it extra premium price.

Pricing 4x4 tyres:

BFG Ko2 £136.10 ea x 4 = £544.44

ST Maxx £108.41 ea X4 = £433.64

The BFG is £110.80 more expensive is it £110.80 better?

Banging Head Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #682306 28th Jan 2018 4:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've known many go from Cooper to BFG KM2 and said they prefer them.

I've always found KM2 to be very good on the road personally, and from my point of view much prefer them to GG
TR's by miles and miles. Pardon the pun.

Obviously don't drive it like a race car in the wet especially in back roads, other than that brilliant.
The only benefit the ATR has IMO is in the snow and ice is better than the KM2.

The mud side is far more useful to me on the KM2 than icy, snowy weather, I'd rather not drive in that. Not worth the risk . Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #682322 28th Jan 2018 4:59pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Of those two I'd choose the Coopers, for two reasons.
One: https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Two: I've driven with people that have BFG AT KO1 and KO2s and really not been impressed with their performance compared to my Michelin Latitudes. A knackered set of Michelins on mine perform comparably to a decent set of BFGs in slop, and a decent set of Michelins perfom better than a decent set of BFGs. That is what I've seen over a few years of driving in various conditions.

If I was changing to 235s I would use the Coopers (ST/Maxx or AT3). If someone gave me the BFGs I'd use them, but I wouldn't pay extra for them.
Post #683326 1st Feb 2018 2:27am
Devon-Rover

Thanks for the link cupboard I'll grab a cuppa and have a butchers at it, properly. I have skimmed it and does reinforce my thinking that yes the BFG is good but has the competition caught up and surpassed it? We could draw the same analogy to Land rover.

It is an overwhelming majority In favor of the BFG and I thank all those who have imparted their input into the poll and topic. I'm going to consult the fiscal manager and make a decision soon.

Only the other day I saw the grabber X3 on a certain magazine and It did trump the KM2 in their tests and briefly I did consider them but again I don't do that much off road to warrant their usage and when I do with an AT I have the traction aids to keep going when they don't

I have also been offered new Take off wrangler MTR's but I don't know if i'm willing to compromise the cost saving for more miles of noise but good off piste performance and TBH for an aggressive tyre them do handle fine on the road. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #683339 1st Feb 2018 8:14am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Not on a Defender but on the Range Rover (2007 TDV8) but I've got some experience between the General Grabbers and Goodyear Wranglers. On tarmac, rocks, sand etc the Terrain Response on that thing really comes into its own but in the slippy stuff (grass and mud) there's no getting away from the fact it's a 2.7 tonne vehicle and there really is no substitute for a decent set of boots.

When I first got it there really wasn't my in the way of choice and basically the most 'aggressive' pattern was the AT offering by General Grabber, note this was the second (?) newer version of the tyre, the AT2 was the previous one weirdly. They performed well on the road but was a little disappointed with their off-road performance but it was basically the best I could manage for a set of 19" wheels (smallest you can fit bar the ones Compmotive designed for the Nemesis for the Dakar but at the time there was a greater choice in 19" tyres than 18"). Anyway after 500 miles wrote off two with sidewall damage when up in the lakes, duly replaced them with the same. Probably about 15k later I was underneath the car at my parents and noticed that the inner sidewalls had started cracking badly - particularly on the fronts. So ended up getting some more replacements. Doing a little research pointed at perhaps hitting potholes / kerbs pointed at this. Round where I am there are probably more potholes than road. So I was then a bit more careful (especially considering how little rubber there is) about avoiding potholes and when climbing up rocks etc taking it much much more slowly. Consequently the tyres lasted better - probably in the region of 20-25k but as they wore down the rubber seemed to get a lot harder and the grip on the road deteriorated.

When I went to source some replacements I ended up switching over to Goodyear Wranglers which not only offered what appeared to be a more aggressive pattern but were a fraction cheaper. On the whole they've been a substantial improvement being better in the slippy stuff and have lasted much longer with no real change in the 'hardness' of the rubber as they've got older. On the road they still feel as grippy as they were when they were new - admittedly not as good as the ATs in the wet but in my opinion a better compromise for my use cases. They have got a fraction noisier as they've worn but it's hardly noticeable inside the cab.

Certainly on fullfatrr.com everyone really rates and raves about the General Grabber ATs but my overall experience of them was underwhelming at best. The Goodyear Wranglers on the other hand have been much better albeit technically not rated for the maximum speed of the vehicle but certainly way in excess of the speed limits where I drive it.

How all this compares to the Defender variants of the tyres I have no clue but based off the experience with the Range Rover I'd err on the side of the Goodyear brand over General Grabber. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #683348 1st Feb 2018 8:48am
JOW240725

The 'new' V8 Works is fitted with KO2's Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Post #683385 1st Feb 2018 1:11pm
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
ST Maxx

Thumbs Up Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #683962 3rd Feb 2018 11:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I have ST maxxs now and to be honesty I'm happy with them. I might go to KO2's or KM2's next just for a change!
Post #683976 4th Feb 2018 12:24am
Devon-Rover

Miker and Theater what mileage and tread depth are you experiencing? I hear good things and other feedback will help in my research.

I'm 99% going to go for the Cooper be it purely for fiscal reasoning, Anecdotally similar reviews and experience and simply "For science" Laughing Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #684024 4th Feb 2018 11:31am
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Cupboard wrote:
Two: I've driven with people that have BFG AT KO1 and KO2s and really not been impressed with their performance compared to my Michelin Latitudes. A knackered set of Michelins on mine perform comparably to a decent set of BFGs in slop, and a decent set of Michelins perfom better than a decent set of BFGs. That is what I've seen over a few years of driving in various conditions.

I have to completely disagree with this, on our local shoots beaters day, a friend with a 90 with Latitudes fitted was following the beaters trailer up a clay track on some set a side, with me and a couple of other vehicles following behind. He couldn't make it half way up this fairly slick track of about 100 yards, and got stuck in the middle, when we all realised he wasn't going any further, he got out and let me have a go to try and get it out. I did in the end but the damn things slipped and slid everywhere and really struggled. Once I got it out the way, I hopped back in my 110 with ko2s fitted and merrily plodded on up the track with out any where near as much trouble. Needless to say, my friend was soon asking how much my tyres were and where I got them.
Don't get me wrong I'm not a massive BFG fan boy, these are my first set of that brand having previously had general grabbers at2s fitted before the BFGs, and in my experience the BFG surpasses those in every way. And having driven my mates 90 and had a good chat about the latitudes have concluded that they're better than those too.
Just to be clear my tyres are 235s and have no experience with them in other sizes so wider versions may behave very differently.
Post #684069 4th Feb 2018 5:57pm
JOW240725

It's really difficult to compare tyres performance in specific situations, particularly someone getting stuck and another didn't. So many other variables, with the biggest being the driver. James
Post #684073 4th Feb 2018 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>