↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Rank amateur and a Series One
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Hafman,

The problem with owning a restored vehicle, (and it doesn’t have to be a Land Rover) is I find it a shame to go through all the hours of restoration, only to take it out in nothing less than dry weather,
And watch your hard work become quickly undone.

I, along with many others enjoy restoring cars/machinery most of which would have been long gone by now if we hadn’t have had the foresight to save it.
And I like nothing more than looking at something that’s been restored to near perfect condition, and I can appreciate how many hours of hard graft has gone into the work on display.

What I think we are hearing far to much of now, is the ill used word “patina”
Both my 86” and 80” were wrecks!
They had No patina, they had been bodged up and painted various times in their life,
There was nothing I could do to get it’s age back, that had gone years ago!
I personally think there are not many vehicles out there with something you could call true patina,
When you see one, you will know as it looks right, feels right, and even smells right.

I’ve see plenty with so called Patina, that look nothing more than a pile of scrap!

It would seem to me ( and a few others have noticed this) when Turing up in something well restored,
You always get a few that just can’t help to throw in a little comment about “no patina” and “too shiny”
And the stupid “Why don’t you off road it?”

I tend to find the last comment quite stupid, as why would I go to all the time and trouble to make something as good as I can get it, only to go and trash it, Beats me??

We tend to chuckle at these people and wonder if their chosen colour would be “green with envy”
As I doubt most wouldn’t mind them sat in their own garage!

The word “rivet counter” is another overly used word, funny that no one admits to being one, but most can’t help pointing out when something is right or wrong?

Me, I don’t see myself as one, I would never criticise anyone else’s restoration, as we all have our own standards, and skills,
I just do, what I do, to the best standard I can.

I always felt sorry for my dad,

He restored a 135 MF and it is probably one of the best in the country,
He took it to two shows when he finnished it, and it got shot down at every level!

Apparently “they were never that nice when new!”
It sits in his garage now under a sheet,

Thanks to some narrow minded 🤡 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #681851 26th Jan 2018 2:56pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Well said Ian. It always amuses me to hear one of the "experts" come up to you at a show and comment about something or other which the Land Rover didn't come out of the factory with Rolling Eyes . I have to say I haven't heard this sort of comment for a few years so maybe I'm going to the wrong shows or mixing with the wrong people Very Happy
Post #681866 26th Jan 2018 4:32pm
hafman

United Kingdom 
Agreed; it _really_ miff's me off when criticised for not doing any hard-core off roading in my restored Haflinger; I didn't spend a shed load of time and money restoring it only to trash it. And I didn't like hard core off raiding before I worked on it anyway Rolling Eyes

Some like to drive pristine machines, others like to trash theirs; there is room in life for all...
Post #681867 26th Jan 2018 4:36pm
ian series 1

I was told at a big local show that the PTO
Must have been adapted from a tractor, and couldn’t possibly be anything to do with Land Rover?

And no matter how much I tried, I could not convince them otherwise Thud 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681868 26th Jan 2018 4:37pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Really enjoying this series 1 chat. What do you guys make of these Aus imports? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/agriculturalcro...7675.l2562
Post #681872 26th Jan 2018 4:55pm
ian series 1

defender9 wrote:
I have to say I haven't heard this sort of comment for a few years so maybe I'm going to the wrong shows or mixing with the wrong people Very Happy

We used to do a lot of shows, but there are one or two now that we choose not to attend now,
The big ones were the worse, too many exhibitors with over inflated egos, all in competition!

The little local one day ones, and village fetes, are where it’s at for me now,
I find you can relax and enjoy them, rather than being scrutinised on what you have come in?

I think Anglesea will be the biggest this year? Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681873 26th Jan 2018 4:56pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I tend to go to the smaller one day classic car shows or the agricultural shows, less chance of bumping into the Land Rover know it all's.

I have an older air cooled Porsche which I use mainly for shows and in summer, I once had a so called "expert" come over and asked when it was re-sprayed. When I told him it was still in its first paint and told him the colour (which admittedly is unusual) he proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a Porsche colour, so I just gave up and let him blather on. So I think it happens whatever car you have. Rolling Eyes
Post #681916 26th Jan 2018 6:32pm
ian series 1

Rolling with laughter

There are plenty about! Rolling Eyes 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681925 26th Jan 2018 6:48pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have done a couple of shows and quite enjoyed chatting to people about my series or my little tractor , but what I really enjoy is going out for a run in the Land Rover ,or using my old tractor on the farm to do some little job about the place.
When on the road with either of them everybody always seem to be smiling at me , or they are thinking "look at that idiot",but I don't care because I'm having a great time and I always feel nice and relaxed after removing myself from the real world for a short period of time.
All restorations give you trials and tribulations, but also a great sense of achievement regardless of what others think of your efforts, just do what makes you happy when you lock her away at night !!! Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #681929 26th Jan 2018 7:21pm
Dieselhead

defender9 wrote:
It looks a decent project Dieselhead and if a few parts are not technically correct for a 53 then IMO it’s not a big deal unless you are an obsessive type who wants everything to be year correct. Enjoy it for what it is they are good fun to pull apart and tinker with Thumbs Up

I am always up for a decent project Thumbs Up Cool . I am going to enjoy it ith my son when he is older

Not sure if the boss lady will want to do the cool to skool run with it Whistle Rolling with laughter Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #681947 26th Jan 2018 8:18pm
ian series 1

Oh she Will!

You can’t beat an 80” with the top off Thumbs Up Mr. Green 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681989 26th Jan 2018 10:28pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
So, quick update.

From decoding the VIN it’s a 1955 86” built for the home market and first registered in August of that year according to the gov.uk MOT website.

A long discussion has been had about my relative lack of mechanical skills and the likelihood of building a death trap if you don’t know what you’re doing wrong until it kills you.
It’s been suggested that unless I’ve got weeks of time to devote to it constantly it’ll take me three years doing weekends here and there. Also that I’ll likely have to spend £4-5k on an engine rebuild, £2k on a new bulkhead (there’s quite a lot of daylight currently) and anything between £1,200 and £4k on paintwork. This obviously leaves the chassis, suspension, fuel system, gearbox, clutch, exhaust, steering, axles, brakes, electrical, bodywork and trim still to do. I doubt I’ll get away with less than £15k all in and a significant number of hours... now, can I commit to the time, cost and likely heartbreak when it inevitably takes longer and costs more?!
Post #682094 27th Jan 2018 5:59pm
ian series 1

Just do it!

Spend 2 or 3 years collecting all the parts you will need, that way you can spread the cost with not breaking the bank,
Pull it apart, ( you can do this over a weekend if your keen)

Focus on one part at a time, fix it, refurb it, paint it, then put it away,
Move on to the next part.

If your keen, you will soon get through it!

If you don’t like the idea of doing the engine,
Get someone who can at least check it for wear, it could be ok?
And may just need freshening up?

There are many non mechanical minded folk pulling these apart and putting them back together,
And making a good job of it too.

A workshop manual, and parts book are must, and copies can be easily purchased.

I would happily do the engine and box for you.

In 5 years time you could have a nice sorted usable S1 Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #682144 27th Jan 2018 7:58pm
Slideywindows

England 
I don't think it need cost that much Bluebottle.

Ian is right, if you take your time and keep an eye out for "opportunity purchases" of parts, and are not slavish about total originality, it can work out much cheaper.

Demoralisation is the curse of restorations, hence the sale of so many "abandoned projects".

If you can get it on the road and drive it, you can do more work over subsequent years and eventually get the finish you want.

There is nothing worse than being surrounded by heaps of rusty parts that once were a Land Rover!

On the subject of rivet-counters, I admit to being one and over many decades have come to know some "A" list rivet-counters!

"A" listers really know their stuff but long ago got bored with gratuitously sharing their knowledge with strangers, especially those that clearly do not want to know. "A" list rivet-counters will usually only tell people about their vehicle if they are asked to do so, because they would actually rather be in conversation with a fellow "A" lister about the things that mutually interest them.

It is the original rivet counters who, decades ago, started the research into early Land Rovers and gained the information that a newer generation now takes for granted.

I end the case for the defence, M'lud. Laughing
Post #682207 27th Jan 2018 11:00pm
Dieselhead

[quote="ian series 1"]Just do it!

If you don’t like the idea of doing the engine,
Get someone who can at least check it for wear, it could be ok?
And may just need freshening up?

I would happily do the engine and box for you.

You must come to West Sussex & have a look at mine at some point please Ian Whistle Cool Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #682230 28th Jan 2018 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>