↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone have or fitted the Safety Devices L243 Roll Cage ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
MartnH

Australia 
mk1collector wrote:
If it's padded it's no worse than hitting the a/b/c pillar.

oh
thats smart
I think you are right.

but do you think it is less likely to hit internal roll cage/a/b/c pillar without an internal roll cage?
Post #680655 22nd Jan 2018 12:44am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Bow down can't argue with that logic Rolling with laughter you are less likely to hit yourself on a roll cage that isn't there! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #680659 22nd Jan 2018 1:24am
MartnH

Australia 
well I always believe that using an internal cage without a helmet will ensure severe head injury or death in a crash/roll over
but you seems a big fan of "padding"

so I think maybe you will want to avoid that "padded" hit as well

you know there is a headroom requirement for internal cage
here its 100mm with helmet on, measure from top of the helmet to the roll cage (padded
Post #680661 22nd Jan 2018 2:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Whenever I am driving my Defender and thinking of mortality (which I try not to do, it is too depressing), I am acutely conscious of the fact that the upper seat-belt mounting bolt is about 8 inches to the right of, and directly in line with, my right ear. Even a moderate side impact from the right will result in a depressed skull fracture, certain brain damage (some would say further brain damage, of course) and likely death. A side impact which would be largely negligible in any other car of similar age will kill you in a Defender. There is no protection whatsoever for your head from the seat-belt bolt, which is shocking in a 21st century vehicle.

On the basis that if you are in a Defender you are in a very, very bad place anyway if you have an accident, I really don't think that your chances of survival will be diminished by having the B hoop behind the front seat.

But each to his or her own, of course. Should you be driving a Defender at all if you are that concerned about it?
Post #680675 22nd Jan 2018 9:47am
MartnH

Australia 
Haha yea I am constantly aware of that too
That area behind temple is pterion, the weakest point of our soft skull. Underneath it is an important artery

So I covered the bolt head with some form and adjust the seat so that it won't hit my pterion. I reckon it should be mentioned in the owners manual!
Post #680964 23rd Jan 2018 4:23am
MartnH

Australia 
I am determined to sell the external roll cage Very Happy

The pros of external roll cage over internal is (in my opinion

-can be regarded as a roof rack so less likely to have a problem with insurance company and registration
-can be used as a roof rack and hang stuffs on the side....
-less likely to have a leakage. The body of the defender flex quite a big. Especially the roof. I can visually observe the aluminum body flex after installing the roll cage as the gap between the bar the roof increase/decrease during articulation.

Cheers
Martin
Post #680965 23rd Jan 2018 4:30am
MartnH

Australia 
I keep a similar photo in the cubby box in case cops ask about the cage.
My plan is to show them the photo and to say the body of defender is soft so I choose an over engineered roof rack...

Click image to enlarge
Post #680966 23rd Jan 2018 4:32am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
The ability to strap stuff to it is also a massive bonus to me. Mpre versitile than a roof rack too!
Post #680979 23rd Jan 2018 9:02am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^

Bankz, I know 'looks' weren't one of your criteria, and I know this is a bit silly, but I do like the look of the rally-mounted spare on a DCPU roll cage. (Note I don't like any of the over-sized, faux James Bond stuff, just the wheel mount)

I'm hoping to get a SD Roll cage for my DCPU too. Looks good with the Bowler kit:

Click image to enlarge

MartnH, this is over-engineered!!

Just another great DCPU with cage Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #680982 23rd Jan 2018 9:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MartnH wrote:
Haha yea I am constantly aware of that too
That area behind temple is pterion, the weakest point of our soft skull. Underneath it is an important artery

So I covered the bolt head with some form and adjust the seat so that it won't hit my pterion. I reckon it should be mentioned in the owners manual!

I notice that Wikipedia has a diagram with the exact point where the seatbelt mount enters your skull conveniently marked on it with a prominent arrow. Print this picture and insert it into your Owner's Manual. Rolling with laughter

(In all seriousness this is no laughing matter) Shocked

Post #680996 23rd Jan 2018 10:11am
bankz5152

I currently have a swing away carrier but it does snag quite often when off roading! So I usually chuck the spare in the boot. I like the where the spare is on the Spectre ones but then I loose cargo space on top of me boot lid! lol

The boot lid mounted spare is pretty cool! I might look into a way of doing that on mine.
Post #681032 23rd Jan 2018 11:44am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Jez Blackwolf I hope the wife doesn't end up reading this post or I'll be forced into selling Nelson !!!

A well made point tho....

N.
Post #681142 23rd Jan 2018 8:43pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I have 2x climbing helmets in the vehicle for work and 1 or 2 cycling helmets thrown in from time to time.

Fun times to be had with new passengers advising them first of the Defender wave and then giving them thier selection of said helmets. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #681223 24th Jan 2018 12:30am
bankz5152

So rollcage time is approaching soon. In two minds what to do now, looks like the external only cages are quite straight forward to fit, making me think I should have a go a fitting it at home, got quite a big garage so most the work can be done indoors.

From what ive read it seems like a case of measuring carefully, cutting carefully and bolting together!

Anyone got any insight on how the bracket behind the rear/middle doors fits?
Post #683578 2nd Feb 2018 9:00am
Thon

United Kingdom 
Yes it's all perfectly feasible to do at home if you have space and tools. Also bear in mind that some of the parts are quite heavy and unwieldy so having 2 of you will probably be required at some point. One thing that nearly caught me out was the initial delivery of the kit - I was going to have it delivered to home, but in the end managed to get it delivered to the workshop (which has a fork truck) - just as well as it was in the back of a courier van and weighed something more than 150 Kg in a single crate. Not a chance that I would have been able to get that in my trailer on my own.

Another thing to consider is the weight of the cage once fitted, and the effect this has on C of G. Mine runs standard (but new) suspension and it is quite noticeable. If you were running a lift and some relatively soft springs, particularly without anti-roll bars, I would be prepared for quite a change in its road behaviour.

I'm afraid I don't have the installation instructions for an external cage but I would imagine that it would work in a similar way, but instead of the chassis connecting plates picking up on an inner "C" pillar hoop, there's a transition piece to match the internal structure to the rear tub penetration point for the external hoop. If you email SD they will happily send you the instructions on PDF.

It's all a question of the same process: offer-up, measure, mark, get paranoid, re-offer-up, measure, measure again, mark slightly differently, offer-up, re-measure, go back to original marks, get fed up, drill the f*cker anyway and hope for the best ....

Or maybe that's just me Rolling with laughter
Post #683586 2nd Feb 2018 10:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>