↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > School me on rear towing/recovery point options - so many!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
leeds wrote:

In the UK I have been told but not checked it out that the regulations have changed for towing equipment on commercials in the UK. (Oh joy of joys!)

Brendan

I had a quick search and couldn't find anything online you got any more pointers? As my biggest fear is that they make the type approval retrospective for N1 class vehicles.

I say this as I'm putting serious consideration into a 2 inch receiver hitch from your good selves as the Dixon bate is getting in the way more than helping.

Thumbs Up
Post #678182 13th Jan 2018 6:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Safari Equip 2" receiver for me (billet and shackle not shown).

Note the terrible powder coat on the Allisport wheel carrier, the only fault with this otherwise excellent product. Shocked

Powder coating should be outlawed... Would prefer the option of bare metal and to paint it myself.
Post #678185 13th Jan 2018 6:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
How well does that arrangement tow?

There's already a degree of slop in the drop plate arrangement with double pins on mine & the rear plate is bolted firmly to the rear crossmember.

With an extra pin in the hitch receiver that introduces even more potential for movement.
Post #678187 13th Jan 2018 6:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I had the Southdown setup on a Discovery years ago and it was a fantastic bit of kit. They could be used with anti-roll bars if the mounts are spaced out with a couple of 1 inch tow bar spacers.

I seem to remember that they stopped producing them because of the cost of getting type approval and getting fed up with other companies ripping off the design. Anybody remember Scorpion Racing?

Anyway, given the options that might actually be available, JATE rings should be at the bottom. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #678190 13th Jan 2018 6:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
How well does that arrangement tow?

There's already a degree of slop in the drop plate arrangement with double pins on mine & the rear plate is bolted firmly to the rear crossmember.

With an extra pin in the hitch receiver that introduces even more potential for movement.

Perfectly.
Post #678202 13th Jan 2018 6:57pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Hello chaps, thanks for all the input. Snowed under at work at the moment, but I'll hopefully get a chance to digest all this tonight Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678213 13th Jan 2018 7:27pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
another vote for 2" receiver. absolutely the best solution.
http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/safar...-receiver/

Click image to enlarge
Post #678233 13th Jan 2018 8:58pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: School me on rear towing/recovery point options - so man
agentmulder wrote:
I don't mind a bit of fiddling swapping out parts between uses, (parts kept in vehicle), but not the whole bracket/assembly as it's a pain to keep onboard and time consuming to fit.

Depends on what OP means by this...

There's a fair amount of weight in this and that's before fitting the tow ball:

One of what the OP already has referenced mounted to either a fixed or adjustable drop plate will also serve the purpose:

but then:
agentmulder wrote:
ideally would like to retain an optimised departure angle.

It's all about compromises...
Post #678324 14th Jan 2018 11:18am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Devon-Rover wrote:
leeds wrote:

In the UK I have been told but not checked it out that the regulations have changed for towing equipment on commercials in the UK. (Oh joy of joys!)

Brendan

I had a quick search and couldn't find anything online you got any more pointers? As my biggest fear is that they make the type approval retrospective for N1 class vehicles.

DR, the applicable regulations used to be EC94/20 for towbars. Under those regulations commercial vehicles N1 did not have to use type approved towing equipment. This was a little bit of a minefield for Defenders as some were classed as M1 cars and some as N1 commercial. It only applied to cars from 1997.

Current regulations are UNECE Regulation 55 which applies to vehicles and trailers to form a combination of vehicles. I can not see any exceptions for N1 commercials so that would mean it applies to Defenders.

Now this is the part I am unclear on. This regulation is dated November 2015, BUT I can not see a date of implementation nor can I see any indication that it applies to vehicles made prior to November 2015. Yes I can understand that ALL towing equipment made after the implementation date has to meet the new requirements.

Now in general terms vehicle regulations are NOT made retrospectively.

Hope that helps DR.

Now NZ is NOT a participating nation of the UNECE regulations. I am guessing NZ is a participating nation of UNESCAP so sorry AM you will have to check out local regulations and UNESCAP

Brendan
Post #678402 14th Jan 2018 6:38pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Hello all,

I'll try to catch up and clarify where I'm personally at - regardless of that, it's interesting reading anyway, hopefully someone else will glean some info. Thumbs Up

In no particular order:

- 2" receiver, currently I'm liking the look of that the most, so I'd need the receiver, 2" recovery billet and ... so, you then insert a 2" drop plate, which I put a basic tow ball on? I would have thought that would wiggle around a bit too, but if Blackwolf says it's fine I'm inclined to trust his opinion - and even though it's not the soundest of logic: I'm only towing smaller trailers, no horses, houses or full water tanks.

- On the same topic. the 2" drop plate certainly looks easy enough to handle, but this leads to the question: how can a plate that relies on the insertion of a pinned spigot compare to the standard LR original '08 puma bracket which has big butty bolts and arms the extend to the chassis? Or is that taken care of by the 2″ receiver and I'm just not seeing it?

- Supacat, I'd be installing the DixonBate recovery points on my Mantec winch bumper, it is as far as I can tell is the original and heavy duty Camel Trophy era design for the Husky.

- Not sure where we ended up with regards to the availability of the Terrafirma clone of the Southdown guard? But I'll send off some emails this evening..

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678446 14th Jan 2018 8:30pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
the receiver bit still has arms which go onto the chassis legs, as well as being bolted to your cross member. someone will be along to tell us how that insert rod keeps all that load in check.

I can tell you it works though. Ive pulled many a land rover out of the mud using it, and being recovered myself with significant shock loads and it just stands up to it.

Must work, because its the defacto solution in the USA, and they have an even bigger version for larger vehicles over there.
Post #678453 14th Jan 2018 8:34pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
agentmulder wrote:
Hello all,

- On the same topic. the 2" drop plate certainly looks easy enough to handle, but this leads to the question: how can a plate that relies on the insertion of a pinned spigot compare to the standard LR original '08 puma bracket which has big butty bolts and arms the extend to the chassis? Or is that taken care of by the 2″ receiver and I'm just not seeing it?

OK I can not remember the actual sizes of bolts

2" receiver has 4/6 bolts going through the face of it into the rear cross member.

It has 2 bolts going vertically upwards into the underside of the rear cross member

Then it has the two bracing arms going back to the chassis.

With 4/6 bolts in tension plus 4 bolts in shear I would say that is more then strong enough.

The fastening pin is 16mm pin in 3 point bend. I can not recall wall thickness of the square tube but you are trying to elongate holes in it.

The Dixon Bates has a single pin slider 19mm in 3 point bend over a large span then the 16mm pin in the 2" receiver. This time on a Sunday night I do not feel like doing the comparative equations so will just say the 16mm pin is strong enough!

Now any pinned towing equipment there is room for movement as the pin goes into a clearance hole. It has to be a 'clearance' hole for ease of fitting the pin.

Having said that on the Southdown gear I have to knock the pins in as they are so tight, more like an interference fit.

Brendan
Post #678470 14th Jan 2018 9:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you fit jaws to the front bumper, I strongly recommend you fit spreader plates inside the bumper behind them. I made a pair of 6mm steel plates through which the bolts pass.
Post #678471 14th Jan 2018 9:14pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Please don't use Jate Rings for off road recovery. Have a look to see what fixes a Jate Ring to the vehicle and you will see why they are not suitable.
They are simple lashing points. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #678486 14th Jan 2018 9:44pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Brendan, will email you shortly, some other bits at your site I'd like to discuss as well Thumbs Up

Blackwolf, certainly yes - and finally a job I can use the rotabroach from work on Cool Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678569 15th Jan 2018 5:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>