↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > irratic idle and clutch Q
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
irratic idle and clutch Q
MY2015 110, covered only 4k miles. Hello, I have occasional irratic idling when ambient temps are very cold, which I presume from the various threads in here points to the VCV. My dealer has tried to resolve this by resetting the software - twice (whatever that means) but I can still spot it very occasionally - not generally when first started from very cold - but a few hours later after being left to cool down a bit (so after a trip to the cinema for example). so revs don't seem to go high enough after the 'cinema visit' (maybe 750 rpm), but were higher on first starting that day (900rpm) - I'm guessing a bit at the rpms.

anyway, today I noticed that when starting from very cold, that if I depress and release the clutch without engaging a gear, then the idle fluctuates a little bit (maybe 100 rpm - so a small flicker). This does not happen when hot. Could I ask, is this normal, or could it be related to the aforementioned irratic idle?

It drives well, gear changes are pretty smooth, no clutch rattles but pretty poor mpg - 22.5 (worst) -23.5 (best) for urban cycle - its an adventure edition so has roof rack, mud tyres and heavy guards to lug around. a million miles off the legendary caterham, so maybe a little low.

any thoughts? thanks. jerry
Post #677017 8th Jan 2018 10:30pm
pannawonica

Australia 
My observation of the fuel use given your vehicle’s set up, does not seem excessive! This would not worry me one bit, but is typical. I have had a little idle wobble on a cold start, noticed when my departure was delayed. This at the time concerned me so I cleaned the MAP sender, the MAF was perfectly clean. As it did not return I discounted the VCV as an issue! Thumbs Up your engine is still new and being diesel will need ten times that number of mile to free up! Thumbs Up
Post #677101 9th Jan 2018 3:17am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
The idle fluctuation when letting the clutch out in neutral when cold is normal. As the transmission is cold it will have extra drag and so will cause a slight drop. When warm there is less friction and so less fluctuation when releasing the clutch.

As for the fuel consumption. My 2015my 110 xssw was equally woeful. Also had done very similar mileage when I got rid of it. Apparently they improve with use and mileage but I didn't keep mine long enough to find out.

I never had idle fluctuation though.... 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #677121 9th Jan 2018 9:29am
Jerry

thank you for the replies.

^^^^If you have time, could you please explain in lay terms why a clutch released out of gear (and the vehicle is stationary) affects the idle when cold. I would just like to understand and can't get my head around the transmission having friction which would affect this (sorry - I don't have a clue). is it the same as having a bit of load, as if it was in gear..?

Also, I noticed that there is a slight fluctuation in idle when very cold when I put on the heated screens - is that normal as well? I presume that may be my battery is low (I do short runs mainly) causing a surge in the primitive software or something? thank you.
Post #677357 10th Jan 2018 12:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Turning the heated screen on will add a substantial electrical load to the alternator, which makes the alternator harder to turn, which increases the load on the engine, which slows the engine momentarily until the software in the ECU notices that the idle RPM have dropped and adjusts to compensate.

A similar thing can happen with the transmission. With the clutch in, the engine is turning the input shaft, primary gear cluster, and layshaft in the main gearbox. When cold, the lubricant is relatively thick and spinning all these gubbins requires more power than when the box is at running temperature. When you throw the clutch out by pressing the pedal, you remove this load from the engine and the engine may speed up momentarily until the software in the ECU notices that the idle RPM have increased and adjusts to compensate.

There is also a clutch switch fitted to all TDCi Defenders which tells the ECU when the clutch is depressed. Its function and effect on the ECU software varies according to engine and software revision, but it may also cause engine speed fluctuations when the pedal is pressed.

Last edited by blackwolf on 10th Jan 2018 1:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #677372 10th Jan 2018 9:25am
Jerry

Great explanations. thank you very much. very helpful.
Post #677383 10th Jan 2018 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1