↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Additional electrical items - best wiring practice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
capnjapseye

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Additional electrical items - best wiring practice
Still waiting for new wiper wheel drive boxes, so, while the dash is out I’m looking to tidy my wiring for accessories I’ve added to date.
I have currently used the piggy back fused spurs (see pic) to connect the following:
DRL’s - currently (no pun intended) connected via fuse F42 using piggyback fused spur - as I have no aircon
Rear working lights - ditto via fuse F9 - as I have no ABS - as far as I’m aware
Subwoofer pre amp - ditto via fuse F33 - as I have no heated seats as yet - planning to fit this week
Subwoofer permanent live feed - via fuse F29
Lights on warning buzzer - ditto via fuse F33 (again)
Dashcam - via fuse F15
The feeds for the above accessories are in three categories:
On with ignition (key position II)
Permanent feed (fuse F29)
On with side lights (fuse F18)
I’m thinking of putting a separate fuse box for the (currently 4 in number) “on with ignition” accessories, this would mean still having to use a jumper fused spur on F18, for the lights on buzzer, and another for the alway-on feed to the subwoofer (F29)
I’m also fitting original Defender heated seats this week, using the kit I’ve got from The Mobilecentre, which includes the two switches and an ignition sensing unit.
Any comments or diagrams / pics of your installs would be received with interest
Thanks again
Wiz

Click image to enlarge
 2015 90 Hard Top
1998 90 300Tdi - chuffed to have another one
2013 Freelander 2 - for posher trips to the shop
1996 300 Tdi 90 Hard Top - sold 19th June 2020 - miss it, loved it
2016 90 Hard Top - demolished Nov 2019 by young driver 3.5 times over the drug limit
2010 90 Hard Top - now sold
Ex mil 90 - now sold
Post #676108 5th Jan 2018 5:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would get rid of the spurs, fit additional BlueSea fuses boxes.
With a master feed, fused in-line direct from battery. MIDI fuse boxes etc are ideal for this.

Then use indiculdual feeds for what you want, if you share circuits you'll have an awful job finding any issue if you have a fault.
And also often or not higher fused than what it really should be.

Use a spur if you need to just to pick up you ignition live if you need one.

Earth is common but you can get bus bars and the BlueSea fuse boxes have live bus bars and plent of options to suit.

It will, be safe, easily identifiable and neat.
Fit and forget.

4x4 Overlander has plenty of ideas. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #676137 5th Jan 2018 6:40pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Piggyback fuse holders are great for adding one or two extra accessories that you intend to remove when you sell the vehicle. But realistically once you have more than a couple they just look a mess.

If you do have more than a couple, You'd be better off fitting another fuse box under the drivers seat and running your additional wires from there.

Depending on your vehicle's spec you might already have spare fuse slots in the existing fuse box, you can just add the terminals into the back of the factory fuse box and it'll look factory fitted.

Vehicle Wiring Products or Autosparks sell the bits you need.
Post #676140 5th Jan 2018 6:41pm
dioliahary

Scotland 
For my heated seats, I took a hard fused positive from the battery to a mini fuse box, this wiring then fed the heated seats (all fused) via a set of relays. I wired in a 'master' relay which is affected when ignition on, that controls the whole set up.

I will try and take some pictures, the relays and mini fuse box, I located in the battery box area.

Hope this makes sense and helps somewhat
Post #676142 5th Jan 2018 6:44pm
donmacn

I'm in a similar position to the OP in that I'm planning a tidy up of existing accessories, and adding more, so picutres a,ways welcome!

Linked from here the other day, I spent some time looking through the flickr feed/blog of Landreiziger (pretty sure it was flickr) and they had loads of pics of similar electrical installations. Usually twin battery installs, but some tidy work.

FWIW - hope it's not too much of a hijack of the thread - if anyone's familiar with their work, is there anyone on this side of the channel, or ideally even north of Hadrian's Wall doing this kind of stuff? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #676145 5th Jan 2018 6:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1