↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Fire in multi storey car park in Liverpool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Zed wrote:
6 dogs were rescued from cars. Thank goodness but what kind of bloody idiots leave their dogs in a multistory car park while they go to an event?

No matter what you do leave your dog in a multi-storage car park alone. End of.

Some people have a dog as an accessory to their lifestyle they are 'gits.' A dog is a family member and you have to love them. My two are workers and have a great life, to think of them being burnt alive I could not cope with that, so all those who left a dog in a car in a car park in the dark, I have very few words to say to you. For those who know me, you will know what those few words are. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #675087 2nd Jan 2018 12:30am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Maybe if dogs were allowed into more places then they wouldn’t be left...maybe if people were more tolerant of dogs out then there wouldn’t be a problem

As for leaving the dogs in the car...I can see a number of reasons why that happens and have no issue there...unless it was hot etc, no different to leaving them in a cage at home for longer or when the dogs are left between working them etc.

The thought of them being trapped in a car or house and burnt alive is beyond tragic...this coming from someone with working dogs, who right now has one taking up 50% of my bed Exclamation who is also just like my child and loved accordingly!

My message, not judge people for leaving the dog in a car, or wanting to take it with them. Mike
Post #675093 2nd Jan 2018 2:18am
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
That was a miracle no one was hurt or killed. Cars can be replaced and once again a council saved a few quid on sprinklers.
Well done the emergency services in getting the animals out to safety.
Post #675094 2nd Jan 2018 5:20am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
ericvv wrote:
Never seen a multi-story car park with a sprinkler system anywhere.

There are 1000's of car parks with sprinklers in the UK (but clearly not enough) Most systems are designed to run for 1h 20 minutes. It the local water supply cant cope then a tank is installed. The foam systems you refer to in your earlier post are not suitable for most installations as the foam its self is very dangerous to the environment if it were to find its way into the drains and water courses it would kill anything in the water. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #675119 2nd Jan 2018 12:06pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
HK07
I have read that the water from sprinklers would give something for the flamming fuel to float on, thereby spreading the fire even quicker.

I'm clearly no expert is such matters, but it makes sense.

Seams to have been lots of fires lately. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #675144 2nd Jan 2018 2:20pm
neddy

United Kingdom 
The roofs of most multi storey car parks are too low for a Defender,let alone a fire appliance. Bow down Proud owner of 1962 IIA since 1971, Talyllyn Railway enthusiast.
Post #675170 2nd Jan 2018 5:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
AndrewS wrote:
ericvv wrote:

There are 1000's of car parks with sprinklers in the UK (but clearly not enough) Most systems are designed to run for 1h 20 minutes. It the local water supply cant cope then a tank is installed. The foam systems you refer to in your earlier post are not suitable for most installations as the foam its self is very dangerous to the environment if it were to find its way into the drains and water courses it would kill anything in the water.

Really, where? Then the UK is miles ahead of the rest of Europe. Never seen one with sprinklers anywhere in Europe. 1hr 20 mins running, well that requires a bit of a lake full of water. Sounds odd.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #675183 2nd Jan 2018 5:55pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
mse wrote:
Maybe if dogs were allowed into more places then they wouldn’t be left...maybe if people were more tolerant of dogs out then there wouldn’t be a problem

The difficulty is not just the dogs but some of the owners who do not train the dogs to be well behaved and obedient.

Certain events ar just not suitable for dogs due to them being too crowded.

A friend of ours had there daughters face badly bitten by a badly trained dog at an outdoor event. Injuries meant a couple of operations to repair the injuries. Event organisers attitude? Enough said! Dog owner did not apologise!

My opinion that dog should have been put down and that owner banned from keeping dogs.

How can event organisers decide which dogs are well trained and obedient?

At our stand/events dogs are like children. Well behaved, obedient ones are welcome.

Brendan
Post #675219 2nd Jan 2018 8:32pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I have to disagree with you there. The dog shouldn't be destroyed, the owner should be forced to attend training until they can demonstrate understanding of dog training and obedience, but it was not the dog's fault. By the same token though, parents who let their offspring run way ahead and rush up to my dog or cat and grab at them without either asking me if it's ok or giving my pets chance to assess the situation as being a threat or not, I don't demand that their children be put down for attacking my animals, the children don't know any better, but the parents should. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #675247 2nd Jan 2018 9:38pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Lambert you are making various assumptions in this case. That the child was in some form a threat to the dog. That was not the case.

Now what would be a farmers reaction be to a dog physically savaging their sheep if they had a shotgun close to hand?

As I said well trained/obedient animal and children welcomed. Could say the same about owners and parents.

Brendan
Post #675254 2nd Jan 2018 9:58pm
NoDo$h

England 
ericvv wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
ericvv wrote:

There are 1000's of car parks with sprinklers in the UK (but clearly not enough) Most systems are designed to run for 1h 20 minutes. It the local water supply cant cope then a tank is installed. The foam systems you refer to in your earlier post are not suitable for most installations as the foam its self is very dangerous to the environment if it were to find its way into the drains and water courses it would kill anything in the water.

Really, where? Then the UK is miles ahead of the rest of Europe. Never seen one with sprinklers anywhere in Europe. 1hr 20 mins running, well that requires a bit of a lake full of water. Sounds odd.
Eric

In my nearest town there's one with sprinklers under the local supermarket. And it's not a big town.

Worth mentioning that Andrew is a bit of an expert on installing and maintaining sprinkler systems Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #675297 3rd Jan 2018 2:14am
lambert.the.farmer

leeds wrote:
Lambert you are making various assumptions in this case. That the child was in some form a threat to the dog. That was not the case.

Now what would be a farmers reaction be to a dog physically savaging their sheep if they had a shotgun close to hand?

As I said well trained/obedient animal and children welcomed. Could say the same about owners and parents.

Brendan

If at all possible I would separate and restrain the dog then tend to the sheep. Then call the police to deal with the owner of the dog assuming they were present. I understand how nature works, predators, prey, instincts and all that. I also know how the law works. If you have a dog in a field it is incumbent upon you as it's owner to have it under close control. A dog has no legal responsibility but an owner does. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #675303 3rd Jan 2018 6:24am
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Lambert, do you really run a "Jeep"?
Post #675306 3rd Jan 2018 6:54am
lambert.the.farmer

Yes,why? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #675314 3rd Jan 2018 8:22am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
ericvv wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
ericvv wrote:

Eric

As I have said there are 1000's Google it. We are as I type this Ultrasonically Scanning sprinkler pipework in a car park in a shopping centre in Ipswich. We are measuring the pipe wall thickness to determine corrosion levels, the pipes are about 30 years old. This system covers all the car park levels, loading/delivery bays and shop floors.

Click image to enlarge

Yes the storage tanks are big, this is one of two tanks.

Click image to enlarge
 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #675327 3rd Jan 2018 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>