↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Break inertia switch circuit to disable Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Hazards are configurable on Discovery, and definitely TD5 runs without working in tank pump. But without real power, not able to go over approx. 3000RPM, and not able to go uphill. The pump once died this way in our Disco2, and once I had to replace the pump in customers 110 stuck in wood - without the power and in deep valley it was easier, than trying to pull the car out.
For security switch it is good idea to break more than one wire - security switch, wire between engine ECU and 10AS alarm/IMO ECU, control wire for starter, control wire for main relay. Choose what you want, and place more than one switch or add an auxiliary relay (small one is enough). "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #674845 31st Dec 2017 11:14pm
Spanner

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
The thing I like about the inertia relay is that the engine will still turn over but not start. This I think makes it ideal if someone is trying to pinch the car from outside the house. If they've bypassed the alarm then the engine turning over but car not starting would act as an alert and hopefully they'd scarper once attention is drawn.

There's also a couple of idea's that have been PM'd to me that I won't mention here which should be enough to deter all but a pro. As has been said, if some scrote wants it enough then it's gone but at least we might be able to slow them down.
Post #674857 1st Jan 2018 12:45am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hi Spanner,

I've PM'd you a potential immobiliser option Thumbs Up

There are numerous immobiliser options relating to the inertia and main relay circuit - the latter being in the main feed to the coil of the former.

There's a very, very, easy opportunity to interrupt the 'ignition' (whilst still allowing the starter to turn) by inserting a cleverly concealed switch/device between the negative side of the coil of the main relay and pin 21 on the ECU - both co-located.

Hopefully you are now spoiled for choice Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Will
Post #675045 1st Jan 2018 9:54pm
Spanner

Hi Will,

Got your pm, many thanks for the detailed information. It looks to me like it would possible to make a Defender so troublesome to start unless you know where the switches are that it won't be worth the trouble of pinching.

I'm now thinking of the combination of switches and knobs it takes to start the truck in Mad Max Fury Road...

Thanks again and happy New year.

Cheers,

Ken
Post #675055 1st Jan 2018 10:21pm
gliderbee

Belgium 2016 Defender 90 Other HT Santorini Black
Spanner wrote:
I'm going to do this once the weather allows me to open the front door. A forum user (many thanks) has pm'd me an alternative way of switching which makes the whole thing seamless to use.

I would like to do this on my 2.2 Puma (2016) and I could use the info on the alternative way of switching. Can you pm it ?

Kind Regards,
Stefan.
Post #675146 2nd Jan 2018 2:29pm
Spanner

Hi Stefan,

Will should really respond to this as it's his diagram. I don't know enough about Defender electrics to know if the same idea would work on a Puma (I've seen mention that some of them don't have inertia switches) but hopefully someone will know.

Cheers,

Ken
Post #675153 2nd Jan 2018 3:01pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I'd be interested in other solutions for the Puma, too, so I've opened a thread there http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58823.html
Or we could just exchange PMs Smile
cheers
Frank
Post #675243 2nd Jan 2018 9:34pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
No offence to any of the posters here, but is it really wise to give out this type of information to members with so little posts? If I had a good and secret way of disabling my motor I really would only be sharing it with people who have a good track record of posting and contributing on here. As said, no offence intended to any of the posters.
Post #675260 2nd Jan 2018 10:15pm
Spanner

I can understand where you're coming from but it does leave new owners stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place. Last time I owned a Defender was about 15 years ago and I didn't give theft a second thought. When I managed to scrimp enough to buy another one it didn't take long to find dozens of posts about how easy they are to pinch, how many are pinched and how they are now a rolling goldmine for thieves.

The question almost becomes whether to keep a vehicle that you're going to be constantly worrying about or sell it and buy a Volvo instead!

I'm not sure there's anything here that's new (the true guidance has come from PM's) and I asked the original question when I came across a post, I think on an Australian forum, asking pretty much the same question.

My own lack of posting history is due (touch wood) to not having any real problems yet and having a vehicle old enough that the last decades worth of posts here and elsewhere cover pretty much everything I can imagine wanting to know. That and not knowing enough to answer anyone else's questions yet.
Post #675268 2nd Jan 2018 10:46pm
Screbble

Yes I agree with the points made - I can appreciate and understand the various perspectives.
Best to keep this information flowing via PM.
Just trying to help Thumbs Up
Post #675285 2nd Jan 2018 11:43pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Some trackers have a remote controlled relay which can be connected to a circuit to effectively immobilise the vehicle should the worst happen..

Would this inertia switch be a reasonable candidate for that? Imagine if you noticed your defender being driven unlawfully and you wanted to immobilise it (at a point where it may be safe to do so).

Ie, if the line was broken, would it stop the engine from running or only stop it from starting next time? My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #675370 3rd Jan 2018 1:33pm
Screbble

Stop it running on a TD5 - not sure about Puma Thumbs Up
Post #675372 3rd Jan 2018 1:40pm
meeerrrk

thanks, I'll see if I can locate the offending item and see how it responds on a puma My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #675379 3rd Jan 2018 2:22pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
meeerrrk wrote:
Some trackers have a remote controlled relay which can be connected to a circuit to effectively immobilise the vehicle should the worst happen..

Would this inertia switch be a reasonable candidate for that? Imagine if you noticed your defender being driven unlawfully and you wanted to immobilise it (at a point where it may be safe to do so).

Ie, if the line was broken, would it stop the engine from running or only stop it from starting next time?

Please share your results. I will try myself once I get an OBD device to clear the error that will/might be generated. Still under warranty, so a bit relucant to fiddle with cruical parts :-/

And I think the whole point of the inertia switch is to stop a running engine, in case of an accident Cool
Post #675411 3rd Jan 2018 4:02pm
meeerrrk

I’ll have a look and see what I can find under the bonnet. I have a reset tool so it should be ok! My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #675445 3rd Jan 2018 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>