Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alex1976

England 
New Driving Lights

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I decided to treat myself to some new driving lights as an Xmas present to myself. I knew I wanted LED and didn’t want a light bar. Had a look at a few options and liked the look of the Vision X Canon lights. I then found these by Terrafirma, which appear to be identical to the Vision X lights. The thing is these were a quarter of the price! They seem very solid build quality with an alloy body and polycarbonate lens.

They are 25W LEDs and from initial tests they throw out some very impressive light. I have Trucklites as my headlights, and these driving lights really compliment them nicely. I also like the ‘look’ of these round lights and think they add to the face of the Defender nicely.

So far I am very pleased with them. I will try and get some nighttime shots of them and post on here.
Post #673210 24th Dec 2017 11:31pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Been thinking about some LED spots for a while so I’ll be interested to see how you get on with these. I’ve got Trucklites too so I didn’t really want halogen spots but most of what I looked at were horrendously priced. Keep us updated if you wouldn’t mind Thumbs Up
Post #673213 24th Dec 2017 11:41pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The Terrafirma 25 watt LED spotlights are IP rated 67 with a light output of 1800 lumen using a Cree LED and do not appear to be approved for road use..

The Vision X Canon 25 watt LED spotlights are IP rated 68 with a light output of 2500 lumen using a Luminous LED and are APPROVED for road use.

Please ensure you are comparing like with like.

All the best.

Brendan
Post #673231 25th Dec 2017 1:19am
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
road approval rubbish, its not enforced at all in the UK, hell they cant even be bothered to pull me for no front number plate for the last 5 years! Rolling with laughter

So I wouldn't worry about that and just enjoy ur bargain Mr. Green Thumbs Up 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #673248 25th Dec 2017 8:49am
leeds

United Kingdom 
No front number plate for five years?

MOT failure under section 6.3.

Just do not get involved in an insurance scenario!

Brendan
Post #673268 25th Dec 2017 10:44am
Alex1976

England 
I agree Welshsurferdude I will be enjoying my bargain lights.

Considering they are Terrafirma branded and from a reputable UK based retailer I am not worried about splitting hairs on technicalities. They more than do what I need them to do and for under £100 delivered I am happy.

The ‘premium’ branded lights would have to be something very special to beat these and at four times the price, I am not sure they could be four times better.

It is not as if the premium lights are made in the UK (something I would pay a premium for as I like to support uk industry).

However, I never intended this thread to be a discussion about whether one brand is better than another or the detail of uk C&U legislation (yawn). I was just pleased with my new lights and thought I would share my thoughts with everyone.
Post #673269 25th Dec 2017 10:55am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Ooh they look nice, love the idea of the cannons but there's no way I'm spending that much on any lights!!
Post #673333 25th Dec 2017 4:36pm
JustFX

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Coniston Green
Like.

<hijack> I really want to fit some fog lights to my pumper. Thinking of a set of Xprite 4 Inch 60W Cree LED Fog Lights then cutting holes in the bumper and fitting them inside. I have 2 Large Terrafirma lights wired up to the main beam but that is no good when the fog is thick at night. 
Post #673357 25th Dec 2017 7:28pm
RoddyK05

[quote="leeds"]The Terrafirma 25 watt LED spotlights are IP rated 67 with a light output of 1800 lumen using a Cree LED and do not appear to be approved for road use..

Watched a YouTube video about these lamps and in one scene I can clearly see an E4 mark on the lense. If they are not for road use, what does the E4 mark signify? I honestly don’t know, just wondering and confused now Shocked Surprised Cheers.
Post #673478 26th Dec 2017 7:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
JustFX wrote:
Like.

<hijack> I really want to fit some fog lights to my pumper. Thinking of a set of Xprite 4 Inch 60W Cree LED Fog Lights then cutting holes in the bumper and fitting them inside. I have 2 Large Terrafirma lights wired up to the main beam but that is no good when the fog is thick at night.

Hello. I think you will find that 4" lights are too big for the bumper of a Defender. This is entirely irritating as there are some good LED fogs out there for the Wrangler that would be nice to fit.

You will find that 70mm lights are about the max diameter you can fit. I am literally about to break out the hole saw for this job. Bought my set off eBay, but do very much like the outbound 4x4 double bumper light combo.

You can see my light here - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859-45.html
Post #673491 26th Dec 2017 8:44pm
Alex1976

England 
[quote="RoddyK05"]
leeds wrote:
The Terrafirma 25 watt LED spotlights are IP rated 67 with a light output of 1800 lumen using a Cree LED and do not appear to be approved for road use..

Watched a YouTube video about these lamps and in one scene I can clearly see an E4 mark on the lense. If they are not for road use, what does the E4 mark signify? I honestly don’t know, just wondering and confused now Shocked Surprised Cheers.

I have checked on my lights and they do have the E4 marking. From what I know the E part means they are approved for use in Europe and the 4 bit means they were granted their Euro approval in the Netherlands. Each country has its own number, we are 11.
Post #673503 26th Dec 2017 10:05pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Sort of on this theme...

Is there such a thing as an auxiliary dipped beam driving light? Or is this a no no (even if I can switch it off)? 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #673615 27th Dec 2017 4:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Dipped beam is a lot more specifically defined than main beam auxiliary lights. Essentially, you're limited to two 55w lights with the appropriate beam pattern. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #673679 27th Dec 2017 10:21pm
RoddyK05

So I ordered the same lights as Alex but they were out of stock so I had to wait on them. In the meantime I fitted the Landreiziger spotlamp wiring loom and switch and hooked up to a pair of Hella 550 Comet fog lamps. Once the new Terrafirma lamps arrived I re-jigged the Landreiziger loom slightly by taking the relay coil feed from the dash illumination so these will now work as fog lamps. Rather than another ready made loom (plus i had no more blank spaces for another OEM switch to fit) I made up a loom utilising the one that came with the lamps and some home brew wiring and switches. I fitted a couple of 3 position switches which can switch the fogs to come on wth the high beam or the spots to come on with the sidelights - obviously not during normal road use. Under normal circumstances the spots come on with the high beam and the fogs come on with the Landrover dash switch.
Anyway, enough of that. After a run through the local forest and back roads last night I am very pleased with the performance of the lamps considering their price. They really help the Trucklites and fill in at the sides where the Trucklites are dark. Distance wise they are very decent too, more than enough for the speeds I will be traveling at in my Landy. I’ll add a couple of pics of the final installation. I can see a lot better now and I’ve filled in another blank space in the dash with a genuine switch. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #680523 21st Jan 2018 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1