↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Am I being paranoid about excessive milage ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Thanks again guys for the subsequent posts.

I was only looking to spend about £1500 max on the run around for simply the commute to work. A simple petrol engine I can understand and mostly maintain myself........ Td5 on the other hand.... no chance Smile

Anyhow, have decided not to bother with a run around and keep going with the 110. Stuff the milage... they were built to be driven. Also seems a bit silly keeping a £20k motor in the garage all week and pootling around in a cheap lump of sh*te and hating every minute of it. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #63003 9th Mar 2011 9:40pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wish I could get away with only 13k miles a year. Stop worrying and just drive it Thumbs Up
Post #63018 9th Mar 2011 10:45pm
christyler

Sonic3d wrote:
I wish I could get away with only 13k miles a year. Stop worrying and just drive it Thumbs Up

Exactly !!!
Post #63020 9th Mar 2011 10:46pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I'm the other way around.

TD5 Discovery (planning to swap for a Puma defender which is why I'm on this forum Very Happy ). Owned the Disco from new, now 9 years old, and 177,000 miles.

2 years ago, the Disco was on around 150k, and the wifey (and me to some extent) wanted something a bit "swisher" for those long journeys. I work in N England once a week, and the 200 mile drive home at 5pm was getting really tiring in the Disco (above 65 mph, the right hand pedal seems to stop being an accelerator, and starts becoming a volume control - especially when you're tired after a long day and just want to get home...)!

As I'm doing over 25k miles per annum, I am happy sharing that milage over 2 cars. Especially as the Disco is now cheap to run (tpft insurance, do my own servicing).

I bought an XC70 which I use for work and some holidays - it's awesome for long journeys.

The Land Rover gets used for my hobbies (climbing, hill walking, mountain bike carrying, and weekends away), also for towing (I also have my own business and frequently end up with heavy loads or a trailer).

The Disco's still solid (well looked after - waxoyled & well serviced), but I want to own a Defender before they go out of production! The Disco's doing ~10k per annum, and the Volvo about 15k per annum.

Planning on buying a new Puma within the next 12 months Very Happy
Post #63062 10th Mar 2011 9:13am
alfajock

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Bonatti Grey
I think this question is about balance; I do 30k pa on business my C320 at 40mpg and 4k pa on weekend play in my 110 V8 at 15mpg, so clearly running a Puma to combine the roles would be possible but expensive (and a lot slower and less comfortable). But on your mileage pattern I wouldn't think twice - sod the Eurobox Fully Restored 89 110 CSW V8

CLS 350 CDI for the sensible stuff
Post #63376 12th Mar 2011 8:49am
TRR Motorsport

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Galway Green
party monkey wrote:
Also seems a bit silly keeping a £20k motor in the garage all week and pootling around in a cheap lump of sh*te and hating every minute of it.

Here, here. Very Happy

I've just topped 10K in the first 4 months of owning the 90. thought about buying a runabout to keep the miles off the drover & decided against it for the same reason as you.

I'm only here once so I may as well enjoy it Cool "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #63746 14th Mar 2011 11:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12