↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Proctas Peugeot 306 HDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Proctas Peugeot 306 HDI
Ok I know this is a defender forum, I thought I might as well post up a thread on my 306 HDI, ( gives you something different to read) I have had her for 10 years. She has never missed a beat, and I am in debt to it. In fact I have took the Censored out of it really, But then again the car hasn't needed any money thrown at her. (Threw money on two metros instead)
I bought her for shy of 4k when these were fairly new. ( it was 6 years old at the time)
Over the years we have gone up and down the country, to btcc events and holidays in Scotland. All I have done is service it my self and when the odd things have gone wrong I have jumped on it like there's no tomorrow.
Last year I did toy with the idea of parting company with it for the defender, but for what its worth now and what will happen to it, due to the age. My dad said keep it, so I got shot of the metro and switched the policies over. So this became the second car, ( defenders are too good for second cars,) And this is too good to clock miles on for work and its never missed a beat. The car has come in very handy when the two defenders have been out of action.

I have done some cosmetic upgrades,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

these were the cosmetic upgrades

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also its been De catted with a stainless steel exhaust, EGR blanked off, ITG panel filter, Upgraded discs and pads and it has a 5th alloy wheel spare, Which I bought from my local scrappy for £15, Played a practical joke on my dad with it, He thought I had a flat tyre when he saw it in the boot Laughing We fitted bilstein dampers and new front springs last year for the MOT, The sad thing is the non centre wheels no one can be arsed or cannot balance them, So I have Censored 405 alloys with spacers on which really lets the car down. ( I am really hoping to get original wheels back on the car next year, once I have found a place to referb and balance them. So I think its time I have spent some time and money on tidying her up underneath etc. All the electrics work too Thumbs Up
some of you may have had one new etc, I know these are not everyone's cup of tea, But I have to say these were the last decent hot hatch peugeot ever made really. 07 fleet onwards never cut the mustard compared to the 205, 405, and the 06 range. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!

Last edited by Procta on 7th Aug 2021 2:20am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #671243 16th Dec 2017 5:20pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Kudos to you, I respect anybody who's passionate about any car.
Post #671256 16th Dec 2017 5:43pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I had the DTurbo

Bought for £400

Ran on cooking oil for 30,000 until the timing belt jumped a tooth. Didn't ever like starting in the morning, but we lived on a hill, so it was bump started every day Laughing

Sold on eBay for £250

Saved me a fortune in diesel Bow down
Post #671268 16th Dec 2017 6:37pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice one Procta, keep it and look after it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #671300 16th Dec 2017 9:05pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
"The car has come in very handy when the two defenders have been out of action"

Yes, it's always best to have a reliable back up plan if you own a Landrover.
It's great to see modern cars being kept on the road, rather than scrapped.
Otherwise we'd never see any become old enough to be classics. Thumbs Up
Post #671327 16th Dec 2017 10:29pm
DieselBeast

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Java Black
She's in good condition.

With all the 'Projects' on the go it's always good to have a reliable one.
Post #671339 16th Dec 2017 11:09pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
If you are wanting to get the original wheels back in service why not give balance beads a try? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #671379 17th Dec 2017 6:57am
Procta

United Kingdom 
cheers for the comments lads, Never thought about balance beads. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #671451 17th Dec 2017 2:07pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
fingers crossed I can give this an Oil change at the weekend, and I can update on some photos of the car, Like my little battery cut off switch and what the car has on etc. Smile Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #676052 5th Jan 2018 2:34pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
last week I managed to give this an oil and filters change Bow down
Oil was well past it, Looked very dirty and like coffee, which I should have changed last year Embarassed

But since the weather was the best it has been, i cracked on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

While the car was warming up, I prepped everything.
So i lifted the body up and so that i can access the sump, while that was draining. I turned to this, which is the mother of all pain in the arses on these. The fuel filter, These are that weak, you can snap the top pipes! if you dont get the lid on 100% Believe me lads i have done this, Rolling Eyes that was the 1st time i ever went near it! So since then i have just replaced the full works. The filters are included in them, and i am very sure peugeot and citroen do this anyway, as they used to keep them in stock on the shelf!

Click image to enlarge

After a little bit of a wrestle with the pipes, and trying to keep the diesel spillage to a min, we were laughing. With this generation of Peugeots been scrapped now, i can get the little pipe that goes under the housing. So i can just pop the space on the new unit now and remove the old one later on.

Click image to enlarge

yes i had put the pipe on the other way round on the old unit Rolling Eyes
Five seconds to fit onto the block, but what a battle you have getting the fuel lines clipped on! After a 45 min gental struggle. We were in buissness! Oil filter on and the fresh oil in.
Now these can be very, very funny if you dont prime them right, as they wine like hell from the fuel housing! So i have prime the system a good 10 times before the fire up.
The car runs sweet as a nut now and a lot more quieter, We are just off a 100k now too! I am wanting to give the brakes a over haul plus a paint under, and change those Censored wheels! Not a bad motor at all for close to 20 years old.
Nothing special lads, i know but its something to read. Whistle Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #688849 25th Feb 2018 8:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice one Procta, all ready to go now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #689406 27th Feb 2018 9:34pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Ah the joys of running more than one toy Thumbs Up looks like good work so far Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #689442 27th Feb 2018 10:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Old trusty has come to the rescue again, Bailing my parents out. As our terr has a indicator problem.
So I have been wise to keep hold of her, If anything I would say a Peugeot this age and older are a good investment as a little runner about.
My friend said, not long now for the big 100k! as its only a 200 miles off now. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #692706 11th Mar 2018 10:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Disco_Mikey wrote:
I had the DTurbo

Bought for £400

Ran on cooking oil for 30,000 until the timing belt jumped a tooth. Didn't ever like starting in the morning, but we lived on a hill, so it was bump started every day Laughing

Sold on eBay for £250

Saved me a fortune in diesel Bow down

My 1st one was a Dturbo, which had been wound up. I used to kicked over just for the boost!
The laugh is the lads on the 306 forum really did do some work on really getting the Dturbo into some good figures! The same goes for the HDI too, now its all died out now sadly due to the age of the car and the backing been only a small fraction of what was a massive community. I could be one of a handful that's still kept the same 306 for years. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #692709 11th Mar 2018 10:48pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
well put her in for a MOT, At a different centre due to my old garage no longer doing mots sadly. and guess what, it failed. What a surprise there Rolling Eyes
But its failed on two rear flexi hoses, but the MOT tester said you could do with new discs and pads. Which was what I was planning on doing this year, So I will be changing those for the MOT, so that lots ordered off now Very Happy
Also she waited till I got in to drive her before she hit 100k, she was on all the 9s just ready for me!
With the parts in order i am hoping to try and get the car back in as soon as possible!
Then i can work on getting the orginal wheels back on. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #706806 12th May 2018 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>