↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Discard Td5 fuel gauze filter behind FPR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Discard Td5 fuel gauze filter behind FPR?
All,

I'm all set to finally replace a leaky FPR. I was told that there has been a Technical Bulletin mentioning not to replace tje small gauze fuel filter in the engine block. Edit:part number is MAE100010.
Online search doesn't deliver any results except for a Britpart manual - but should I trust that? Does someone know more about it?

Greetings,

Joris
Post #671176 16th Dec 2017 9:10am
dorsetsmith

it is fuel gauze that fits on to your engine head in between fuel presser regulate and head if it is clean and in good order and on need for replacement BUT the O ring that seals it in place must be discarded and new one fitted

Post #671183 16th Dec 2017 10:10am
Vogler

Thank you very much Dorset Smith, but actually we understand which filter it is. The question is rather about discarding the filter or not, and if so why...

At the moment I have only two sources telling to remove it, none of both I'd consider as official:
- the memory of a fellow LR enthousiast (actually our very competent and passionate teacher in the weekend car-tech class) who distinctly remembers having read about it
- the manual of the Britpart FPR replacement kit. See step 10 upper right: remove and discard...

Click image to enlarge

(This image comes from http://hx52.blogspot.be/2017/02/)

Why would this filter be discarded of?
Earlier today we could think of two options:
- get rid of the filter because of clogging - but never heard or read about issues, and there's already the big filter at the rear wheel
- replaced by a filter integrated in the FPR unit, like the BOSCH 0280160575 which is compatible with the Td5 according to this thread on a South African forum and hx52 again.

In the end I decided to keep the MAE100010 filter because the e-Bay FPR I used didn't have any gauze filter.
If anyone knows more about it or knows of a Technical Bulletin having been issued, then i surely would like to know...

Greetings,

Joris
Post #671286 16th Dec 2017 7:53pm
dorsetsmith

1. Britpart FPR Exclamation replacement kit. Whistle things in blue box I only use LR gen part
2. Get rid of the filter because of clogging. hole point of filter is to filter much easier and cheaper to replace filter than £500 + each for replacement injectors at is if you can find then in good order
3.Technical Bulletin i no of none regarding Discard this filter Exclamation
4. and there's already the big filter at the rear wheel as fuel suppler did not add anti waxing agent to fuel last winter Exclamation and fuel waxing can form in fuel pipe work too at colder temp well after the main fuel filter Exclamation
Post #671304 16th Dec 2017 9:21pm
michaelwl

South Africa 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I agree with dorsetsmith about the use of LR genuine.

Another point, if you check the britpart refitting instructions you actually fit a new filter and o-ring before fitting the new FPR. 2002 110 TD5 White
1981 S3 R6 Matt Green - Now used as game viewer
2013 Discovery 4 XS
Post #671400 17th Dec 2017 9:21am
Vogler

Indeed, they do mention that, how could we have missed that ?! Banging Head Probably we got carried away enjoying a technical debate...

Usually I only put LR or OEM but in this case I refurbished the fpr with a (non-Britpart) regulator that another forum member has successfully used on more vehicles.
Thank you both!

Joris
Post #671410 17th Dec 2017 10:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1