↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > V8 90 Soft top thread! at last!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Romadog

Yeah, been told today that my local hydraulic pipe company can do them Thumbs Up
Post #672658 22nd Dec 2017 3:57pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
The big reveal!

A watershed to be honest when I could roll it out of the garage on its own wheels. This day felt amazing tbh and was real progress. Loving it!

And as you can see, we have wheels!!!! As you saw from the earlier photos I was running 7x16 steel wheels previously but wanted an upgrade. Looked at a bunch of options but have always loved these blindos as fitted dakar and MOD landies. I think they look great. In keeping with the bigger is better, I also went for a tyre height upgrade from 265 to 255/85 giving me a good inch more than the preivous.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

One thing which was a bit disconcerting was how damn tall it is. Its pretty much 6” higher than my standard landie……. i only wanted +2”! I put it down to having no weight on it yet, we shall see.

Didnt mention but you should be able to see the gyn lewis HD steering arms and HD tie rod if you squint.
Post #673055 24th Dec 2017 1:17pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Awesome progress what a good xmas present to yourself Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #673062 24th Dec 2017 2:17pm
L110CDL

England 
Looking good and a great move forward Very Happy Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #673181 24th Dec 2017 9:45pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Time to fit the engine! Now that she is on her feet the next job was to get the engine, gearbox and transfer not fitted. Originally I was very much stuck on an autobox for the project. The idea was that it would be more suited to the power output of the engine, and also the original 50th and NAS models both had auto boxes, so thought it was a well trodden path…… but I had a change of mind lol, we shall see if it ends up being the right choice - but tbh it wouldnt be hard to fit an auto instead.

So why not an auto…. #1 I worked out that 1st in the auto is more like 2nd on a manual, which when crawling down hills is a liability. #2 I got put off about the gearing and specifically when the box changes gear, and thought I may be disappointed, and the computer assisted one is more money #3 to get one which can use all the available power and lock up early is going to be fairly expensive with larger torque converter etc.

So instead I decided to go R380 route as fitted to the Td5. The R380 is so called because it can handle 380 lbft of torque which should be about what the v8 will throw out. Its possible given mine is upgraded that it could strip 3rd, but ill just have to suck it and see.

Click image to enlarge

I sourced a R380 “L” suffix which has the stronger internals than some of the earlier R380 boxes, and then had the box completely refurbed with all new bearings etc. Once I had it back I fitted a synchro quick shift kit to reduce the throw on the lever. The bell housing is from a D2 V8 I think. Should be nice Very Happy

Transfer box was obviously the LT230 and again I sourced a later unit which IIRC has stronger internals. I then had that completely refurbd and added a Ashcroft ATB to it as well! Were now up to 3 ATB diffs lol. Should be interesting as I dont know of anyone running all 3.
Post #674425 30th Dec 2017 5:30pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
The actual engine fit went pretty easily, and was the first time ive ever done it. We shall see if it all actually works lol.

Now, most people would fit the whole thing together engine, gearbox, tbox and then hoist it into the landie in one go. At this point I didnt have the clutch, hadnt fitted the gearbox crossmember and didnt have the right gearbox mounting brackets! oops.

Click image to enlarge

Tada!

The engine came with the pressure plate for an autobox, and I didnt realise at the time how much like rocking horse Censored a V8 GEMS compatible flywheel would be! Pretty much made of unobtainium. As it happens I was already thinking about EFI options, and one of those options didnt require the timing on the flywheel - decision made! I bought a standard non-EFI flywheel and fitted it. Only snag was the dowel pin on the crankshaft which I had to remove, and then fit the bronze bush.

Click image to enlarge

Next up, clutch time. Nothing fancy, just a bog standard V8 clutch. Who knows if this will work out lol.

Click image to enlarge

Amazing what you learn when you have to get this deep into things eh.

The biggest box of spiders opened was the combination of exhaust, gearbox, crossmember. This was nightmare and there wasn’t much useful information out there I could glean. The main problem is that LR never made a V8 engined defender with a R380 gearbox. This means your into a concoction of parts to make it all fit.

Crossmember wise, again getting a proper NAS/50th crossmember is nigh on impossible so I found this one someone had fabricated on ebay and then galvanised for £20 bargain!

Click image to enlarge

Just the gearbox/tbox mounting brackets. Again I went through a bunch of these and none of them fitted properly. It was a total nightmare honestly. In desperation I even went to LR and bought what they considered to be the “proper” ones and they didnt fit properly either! The result ended up being a combination of 200tdi mounts with some older 80s v8 mounts.

Click image to enlarge

Progress! Wowser this thing is now huge. The engine intake is now chest height! eek.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #676565 7th Jan 2018 12:25pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I guess the exhaust Y-piece means that a standard 300Tdi crossmember wouldn’t have worked?
Post #676591 7th Jan 2018 2:01pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
is that the one which also supports the gbox/tbox? pretty sure i bought a galv one off ebay which is still sitting on the garage floor! The problem from what I remember is that it interfered with a bracket sticking out of the chassis leg. I would have to cut out a triangle from the crossmember which couldnt have neen right, so I kept looking. Eventually went with these ones which seem to work ok.

The NAS one has upswept ends so it allows the exhaust to run both sides tucked up into the chassis legs from what i understand. never could find a good pic of the NAS exhaust routing. Ill be having an exhaust fabricated anyhow.
Post #676595 7th Jan 2018 2:17pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

There is a Discovery version which has square style end plates rather than the sloped ones above. The Defender ones are sloped to clear the seat box mount on the chassis - I presume this I suspect the bracket you refer to.

Here’s where it should attach on mine, as you can see I will likely have to modify my exhaust too (Mazda engine not a V8, though it sits in the same place as one):

Click image to enlarge

The marks on the masking tape in the foreground correspond to the front of the gearbox and to (hopefully) the centre of the gearbox mounts.

In theory it should all work (excepting exhaust routing) because the R380/LT230 in 300Tdi vehicles sits in the same place as the earlier V8 ones.
Post #676608 7th Jan 2018 3:33pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Looks like you had the same troubles, but perhaps with a bit more knowledge lol. Yes, thats the bracket which fouled it. Heres some pics of mine up close if it helps in any way.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #676618 7th Jan 2018 4:30pm
Romadog

Ahh yes the gearbox mount deduction Rolling with laughter

When fitting my GEMS setup in my Bowler I struggled for ages until I realised I had the wrong chassis bracket for a B/W Tfer box !!

This time I took everything out of RR and it fitted straight in. Thumbs Up

Regarding the cross member its just a Classic V8/ Disco 1 V8 tubular one, but the lower holes are an inch lower.
Basically the Defender chassis is deeper than RR/Disco
Fairly simple to modify. Just weld a bit of plate to extend each end then temporarily fit with top bolts and mark new lower ones through chassis, remove and drill.

Or ask Richards Chassis to make one. Thumbs Up

Surprised you couldn't find a manual flywheel though .

Rear chassis loom for a 50th is still available for around £200 by the way. Just need to extract fuel pump and sender wires so they exit earlier for you

Click image to enlarge
Post #676633 7th Jan 2018 6:16pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
@mikeh, that's got to be the most spangliest rolling chassis ever. Cool
Post #676686 7th Jan 2018 8:01pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
It is a bit overkill for sure. Too much time to think about each bit is the problem lol, that and not budgeting Mr. Green it’s easy to forget how much that part or doodah cost when it was six months ago etc.

WRT to the flywheel. I could get one but they wanted 400 for it which I thought was mad at the time. Time will tell.

I’ve actually made a rear loom now which I think is pretty good. I bet it cost near 200 in materials though! Big Cry
Post #676715 7th Jan 2018 8:53pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Thanks for the pics.

P.S. You’re missing a washer off each of the upper mounts of the front shocks.
Post #676743 7th Jan 2018 9:51pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Well spotted, thanks! where should the extra washer be? Under the nyloc on the actual damper?

Click image to enlarge
Post #676758 7th Jan 2018 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>