↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Air heater or coolant heater - Webasto, Eberspacher, Kenlowe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Air heater or coolant heater - Webasto, Eberspacher, Kenlowe
Well folks. It is getting a little chilly around these parts and I am left once again considering the merits of installing an air heater or a coolant heater.

As some of you will know I have recently suffered a warped head on the TD5 and whilst tracking down the culprit for the explosive coolant incidents on long runs I did change the radiator and coolant pump. Now all is well again I am finding that the engine cools down very very quickly, making the heaters redundant, when sat in traffic or waiting for the wife at one or other railway stations.

I have always thought that fitting a coolant (Webasto Thermo top sort of thing) heater over an air heater (eberspacher D2 sort of thing) because then the engine is already warm by the time I step out of the door. A good thing before setting off, less wear and tear etc. But the thought of near instantaneous hot air in the cab is very appealing...

So, what do you have and why did you choose it over the other?

Or if you didn't choose the heater you have, what is your experience of them?

If you fancy putting up a photo or two of your install that'd be great to... Thumbs Up
Post #668256 1st Dec 2017 5:33pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
HI Geobloke,
I had a Webasto thermotop coolant heater fitted to my 300Tdi and also the last TD5 I had.
It was nice getting into a defrosted car and drove much better from scratch with a warm engine.

Great bit of kit but mega expensive now so haven't had one on the last couple of Pumas I've had.
The last I got quoted it was around £1700 to get one fitted and couldn't justify it.

Pity really as the puma (2.2) takes forever to warm up, current one takes 10miles before the engine gets up to temp in the winter. I've therefore added a radiator muff cover this week so will see how that gets on! 
Post #668267 1st Dec 2017 6:01pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
I bought a air heater with remote from MV Heating http://mvheating.co.uk. Works great. I would recommend them.

Thumbs Up
Post #668304 1st Dec 2017 8:50pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
They look good which one did you fit mate .
Post #668308 1st Dec 2017 8:58pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
we use eberspachers usually d2 (2000 watt of heat is plenty for a 90 and a 110)

easy to fit. spares easy to get anywhere in uk and eu

use little fuel.

all the western power and many utility companies inc BT vans use them or webastos.

if your free pop over rand i can show you the fitted in a 90 and 110.noise and heat etc
Post #668310 1st Dec 2017 9:02pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
MV Airo 2.

I rang them and got some extra tubing. Had it two years and no problems.
Post #668312 1st Dec 2017 9:10pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Would like something similar in my 300tdi and I've asked Santa for one of these, good value too Thumbs Up

https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/electrics/ap...-5-control
Post #668313 1st Dec 2017 9:12pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi,
I did have a coolant heater system in my range rover classic 1992.
I did use it 20 years and my engine was warm every time I did start it.
But in that time there was a lot of space in the engine bay.
Today with my defender from 2012, I forget that idea.
I have place a air heater between the 2 front seats.
One advantage, it take less fuel and less electrical power.
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #668364 2nd Dec 2017 7:02am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Nidge wrote:
Would like something similar in my 300tdi and I've asked Santa for one of these, good value too Thumbs Up

https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/electrics/ap...-5-control

I fitted one of these with the under cubby box and have just had a weeks camping in germany holland and begum and it was awesome.
It took me about a day to fit the heater, fuel pick up and electrics - and I”m not mechanically apt ! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #668374 2nd Dec 2017 9:08am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
camelman wrote:
HI Geobloke,
I had a Webasto thermotop coolant heater fitted to my 300Tdi and also the last TD5 I had.
It was nice getting into a defrosted car and drove much better from scratch with a warm engine.

Great bit of kit but mega expensive now so haven't had one on the last couple of Pumas I've had.
The last I got quoted it was around £1700 to get one fitted and couldn't justify it.

Pity really as the puma (2.2) takes forever to warm up, current one takes 10miles before the engine gets up to temp in the winter. I've therefore added a radiator muff cover this week so will see how that gets on!

I know, crazy pricing. Whatever happens it will be a secondhand/reconditioned unit, plenty about. I do like the look of those MV units Paddie linked to. Look just like the eberspacher air heaters.

I suppose in an ideal world you'd have both, one to heat the coolant and one to blast delicious hot air at the wife whenever required.

The nice thing is that being a TD5 there is plenty of room under the bonnet and also in the drivers side under seat compartment (I do not have ABS/TC so loads of space).

I do not think the under cubby box will work with an MSS cubby, it is much taller than the standard LR item. Or am I wrong?

So talk to me about controllers and timers. There appear to be quite some variety out there and some darned ugly ones too. Which is the best to go for if I wanted to set the heater to come on every morning and then allow a boost to the heating whilst in traffic?
Post #668462 2nd Dec 2017 6:22pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I'm also interested in controllers. Ideally I'd like a remote for it like my parents FFRR Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #668538 3rd Dec 2017 12:00am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Been considering one for a while now. My only concern would be it getting wet when laning. I think I’d have to mount it under second row seats.
Post #668547 3rd Dec 2017 8:32am
donmacn

I used to have a Kenlowe hot start fitted. I can't remember now if it was in an old RR Classic, or on the 110 and then removed with the bulkhead swap. It's still in a box somewhere, but while it was probably good for the engine, and provided warmer air to the car, you a) had to be near an electric supply and b) you still suffered from the limitations of the Defender heating system - passable in the front of a 110; not so good in the back.

So, I've become more interested in these air heaters. I hadn't looked in ages because the prices had been really high, but they now seem more (relatively) affordable. Anyone with installation pics? I'm assuming they are fitted inside the car (as opposed to underneath with the hot air ducted into the vehicle)?

As someone said above, I don't think mine would fit under the cubby - and even if it did you'd need to be able to easily disconnect and isolate the fuel supply so that the "hatch" underneath would still be useable - no?
Post #668573 3rd Dec 2017 11:46am
donmacn

AJC wrote:
Been considering one for a while now. My only concern would be it getting wet when laning. I think I’d have to mount it under second row seats.

That would seem like a good spot? Short fuel pipe run, a "static" location that wouldn't be disturbed, and mounted along the length of the vehicle under the middle seat it would be sending hot air out towards the front..?
Post #668576 3rd Dec 2017 11:48am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Well I think of piped up correctly with a T piece in it could send heat to 2nd row and the rear.

I’m not a big fan of heat, I’d prefer to be chilly than too hot so it’s more for the kids in the back
Post #668696 3rd Dec 2017 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>