Home > Td5 > Battery dieing over night
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CamRSA

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Alaska White
Battery dieing over night
Hey guys,

Hoping for some advice. Leaving the landy over night and its dead as a door nail by morning. Put a volt meter on it and its reading 10.5ish engine obviously off.

I am still getting dash light up and over head internal lights but no tick over or firing whatsoever.

Called my mechanic, he said it should be at 12ish on the volt meter when off, and when running about 14.5. If I'm getting less than that its probably the battery and if its not it may be the alternator.

Does this sound like a battery issue? I don't want to go fork out £100 for another battery when this one is only just over a year old?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post #669161 5th Dec 2017 5:42pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
First, I'd want to see that there's not a parasitic drain on it when standing, there shouldn't be any more than a few mA drain with everthing off, to reduce it to not starting overnight I'd say it would need an Amp or two.

Failing that it could well be down to a failing battery, if it's charging at 14.5 volts for a decent time it should be fine if in good condition.
Post #669166 5th Dec 2017 6:02pm
CamRSA

Is that just a case of checking all the fuses with the volt meter?
Post #669185 5th Dec 2017 7:12pm
Clive

That won't really help, you need to get a current meter in series with one of the battery leads to see how much current is flowing, or a safer way, if you can access one, is to use a DC clamp meter on one of the main cables.
Post #669187 5th Dec 2017 7:18pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Without it in front of me then it seems you could have more than just a battery. With the battery as low as 10V then I would still expect attempted cranking even solenoid chatter at the attempt. I would look at the starter relay to see if it is still ok.

Once it's running you can check the alternator output and then when off again with some charge in the battery see if there is parasitic drain on the battery.
Post #669193 5th Dec 2017 7:49pm
CamRSA

Eish I don't have access to any of that and its currently dead in my work car park. I'm just going to have to jump it again and try go from there.
Post #669276 6th Dec 2017 9:36am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Have you got breakdown cover included with your insurance or separately . If you have they have the equipment to get you going and checked out. Failing that , as you say you will need to jump start. Easy enough then to check voltage at battery with engine running. Anything less than 14+v would indicate problem with the alternator rather than the battery. Batteries do fail early on occasions though.
Post #669283 6th Dec 2017 10:20am
CamRSA

Ya luckily I'm in the military so popped into the VMs this morning and they are going to give me a hand and will also get me a battery at trade price if it turns out to be that and not the alternator.
Post #669284 6th Dec 2017 10:24am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Disconnect the battery on one terminal and try an ampmeter between the battery and the lead with everything turned off. The reading should be less than 100 mA. 
Post #669301 6th Dec 2017 1:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CamRSA

Right so reading last night when off and dead was 10.5v, tonight it was 9.5v prior to jump. Jumped it and got 14.5v while running so hoping that indicates its not the alternator. Turned it off after ragging it for 35min and got 12.5-12.8, I've disconnected the earth and I'm going to reconnect tomorrow and see if it fires up.

If it doesn't then I'm off to find a new battery. Hopefully. Rather than going hunting to find what's draining it.
Post #669341 6th Dec 2017 6:38pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
Laurie wrote:
Disconnect the battery on one terminal and try an ampmeter between the battery and the lead with everything turned off. The reading should be less than 100 mA.

That is what you need to do! If there is a drain on the battery, then a new one won't help at all!!
Post #669429 6th Dec 2017 11:17pm
Clive

^ true ^ - however if the battery is disconnected overnight and it still won't start in the morning, it's a fair indication that it's on the way out.
A charging voltage of over 14 volts is a good sign that the alternator is good too.
Post #669431 6th Dec 2017 11:25pm
CamRSA

SteveK wrote:
Laurie wrote:

That is what you need to do! If there is a drain on the battery, then a new one won't help at all!!

So I think I did this? Disconnected earth and checked the live on the battery and the other way round. Had 0 both ways.
Post #669436 6th Dec 2017 11:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a parasitic load, which has manifested in probably draining the battery and possibly knackering it in the process.

However, I would get the battery properly charged outside of the LR then put it back first.

A typical culprit for parasitic battery drain is an incorrectly wired Relay coil.

Often associated with spotlights etc.
Having a permanently live relay coil can show no sign at all, except for parasitic current drain.
Typically about 240mA or similar, no immediate battery drain but over one day or two can be enough to bring it down low enough not to crank.

Has there been any recent changes in wiring? What accessories are electrically added non standard?

Finally, as mentioned test the current draw with a Multimeter. You should have a mA draw of no more than about 40mA normally around 8 - 18mA typically.

If it's over about 50mA you've definitely got parasitic drain, keep your batter disconnected and identify the issue as soon as possible. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #669438 6th Dec 2017 11:36pm
CamRSA

Ya so its got spots, tracker, cut off switch, a tow hitch light, None recent though. The reverse light went bang recently and took the actual bulb housing with it and that is in the same time line for this battery issue. Big melted mess. Haven't resolved that yet.

I will try a few more tests tomorrow. Really don't want to spend £100 on a battery only to have that one drain as well.
Post #669447 6th Dec 2017 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>