↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > tdci alarm?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
s18mcn

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
tdci alarm?
In my old freelander i was able set the alarm and lock the doors, then press the remote again which then turned off the internal sensors for when i had the dogs in the back.Is this possible on the defender tdci alarm? or is it either all on or all off?
Post #62382 5th Mar 2011 2:42pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Lock the door with the remote then lock it again... or just use the key. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #62383 5th Mar 2011 2:44pm
s18mcn

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
kool so its pretty much the same set up as the freelander then!!!!
Post #62384 5th Mar 2011 2:46pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Defender has no airbag/passenger door isolator switch. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #62385 5th Mar 2011 3:23pm
david110

Scotland 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
My wife and I both have Land Rovers she has the Freelander 2 and always double presses the lock on the key fob.....so is this disarming the internal alarm?
I pickup my new Defender 17th march (Double cab) again, just sold my td5 dc hope I'm as happy with the TDCi
Post #62493 6th Mar 2011 4:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
RED-DOT wrote:
Lock the door with the remote then lock it again... or just use the key.

Does pressing the plip twice really disable the volumetric alarm?
Post #62610 7th Mar 2011 1:05pm
Lorryman100

blackwolf wrote:

Does pressing the plip twice really disable the volumetric alarm?

Just been out and tried it with my Landy. Sitting in the rear seat I locked the car with the remote, then pressed the fob again so the landy was locked twice. Moved my arms and the alarm went off. Tried it again but waited until the red led stopped flashing before arming the second time. Again the alarm sounded when I moved my arms.
Normally when I leave the dogs in the rear of the landy I put a bit of insulating tape over the rear facing sensor so I can use the key fob to arm the alarm. If you just use the key all you are doing is operating the central locking without arming the alarm.

HTH Brian.
Post #62616 7th Mar 2011 1:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
inthedesert

you could pop the sensor out, disconnect it and pop it back in. It's not ideal but it maybe a solution for you.
Post #62617 7th Mar 2011 1:57pm
Lorryman100

inthedesert wrote:

you could pop the sensor out, disconnect it and pop it back in. It's not ideal but it maybe a solution for you.

I only did this when on holiday when the dogs had to stay in the landy, shopping etc. I now have a nanocom and I will disable the volumetric sensors when I next go touring Thumbs Up
Post #62626 7th Mar 2011 2:23pm
blackwolf

[quote="Lorryman100"]
blackwolf wrote:

.... If you just use the key all you are doing is operating the central locking without arming the alarm.

HTH Brian.

I may be wrong, but I though that the Defender was like the Disco 2 and the immobiliser is always activated and the alarm was always armed, i.e., locking with the plip activates perimetric and volumetric protection, and locking with the key activates perimetric only.

So if the Defender is locked with the key and a door or the bonnet is then opened, I though that the alarm would still sound. I have not tried this though.

I do think that it is a great drop-off in this day and age that the Defender is not fitted with deadlocks (like the Disco2 and probably virtually all other high-end vehicles), and I wish that someone produced aftermarket replacement locks that were deadlocking.
Post #62628 7th Mar 2011 2:45pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
I often leave my dogs in I just lock the door with the key and have no problems, it also keeps the door lock from seizing up. Thumbs Up Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #62636 7th Mar 2011 3:15pm
Lorryman100

blackwolf wrote:

I may be wrong, but I though that the Defender was like the Disco 2 and the immobiliser is always activated and the alarm was always armed, i.e., locking with the plip activates perimetric and volumetric protection, and locking with the key activates perimetric only.

So if the Defender is locked with the key and a door or the bonnet is then opened, I though that the alarm would still sound. I have not tried this though.

I've just been out and tested this scenario and can confirm that the alarm is not armed when you lock the door with the key. However the immobiliser will still be active as you still need the plip connected to the ignition key to start the Landy and get the immobiliser to de activate.
So I opened both drivers side front and rear windows and locked the landy with the key. Opened rear door from inside (simulated broken window to gain access) with no alarm activation. Did the same with the drivers door which unlocks all doors and no alarm sounded. Jumped in the landy and locked the car with the key on the outside and opened the bonnet. Again no alarm sounded. I did suspect this to be the case as the alarm sensors are independent of the door central locking procedure with the key, however if set in the 10AS module the key can disarm the alarm set by the plip when unlocking the vehicle. If you do a little research into the 10AS alarm unit you will see that the plip and 10AS use a rolling code each time the alarm is activated (this is to help stop someone cloning your plip code). If the alarm could be set with both the key and the plip, the rolling codes would go out of sync with the plip meaning it wouldn't work and would have to be synchronised each time this happened. I dont see in the 10AS unit a way built in to differentiate between key and fob in alarm activation and managing the rolling code to compensate for key or plip activation. I guess it comes down to cost.
Post #62765 8th Mar 2011 12:19pm
blackwolf

Brian, thanks for doing that, a comprehensive test. The Defender security really wasn't terribly well thought out, was it!

You've now got me wondering if the Disco 2 alarm is set if the door is locked with the key; I will check that sometime too. At least the Disco 2 security system is Thatcham rated, the Defender seems to be more of a joke.
Post #62775 8th Mar 2011 2:55pm
Lorryman100

Roger, it has been on my to do list for a while now. I always assumed that the key just locked the landy where as the plip locked the landy and set the alarm. Now I know this to be fact I will have to disable the volumetric sensor when I next go away touring with the dogs in the back. My next thing to find out is if the volumetric sensors are linked or if the one pointing forwards and the rear facing one are on separate circuits. If they are separate then brill as I will just disable the rear one. If not I can see the trusty insulating tape coming out again to cover the rear facing one Whistle A job I will look into next time I use the nanocom Thumbs Up
Post #62778 8th Mar 2011 3:17pm
astoltz

South Africa 
The Lucas 10AS alarm system is well designed (My opinion) Smile

So this following was documented in the LR manuals before:

To disable the volumetric sensor but still leave the rest of the alarm systems active ie: "door trigers", before closing the drivers door lock the car with the remote. (The alarm will sound briefly indicting a door is not closed when the alarm was activated). When one now close the door all the alarm function will be active except the volumetric sensor.

The above is per design. Used this before but never tested it on defenders with central locking

Regards
Abrie 1997 Land Rover Defender 110 HT 2.8i
(BMW M52)

2009 Land Rover Defender 110 HT 2.4 TDCi(Puma)
Post #62788 8th Mar 2011 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>