↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Watch experts..what supplier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Watch experts..what supplier?
My much loved TAG of 12 years, which I've worn every single day whether spannering, trialling, mtb, in the sea etc etc etc got caught on a door handle yesterday and I ripped the winder off. Big Cry

It has been 'field fixed' in the past and the battery works with the help of a bit of electrical tape and the bezel spins around both ways. So it's time for a new one..

Who do you recommend for new watches, please? I'm still going to stick with TAG due to their motorsport connections.
Nothing too flash, 'less is more' in the looks.
TIA
Post #666206 22nd Nov 2017 12:57pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to watches. I like to see, touch, feel, put on the watch so I would be going to a jeweller local to you that has a franchise to stock TAG watches.

Can't comment on the on-line people. I expect they will be cheaper as their overheads are lower.
Post #666210 22nd Nov 2017 1:24pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Greeni, if you drop me a PM, I can give you a couple of names who will sort your TAG out for you.

Regarding your question, my first thought was that you want other watch maker recommendations, but then you say you're sticking with TAG.

"Who do you recommend for new watches, please? I'm still going to stick with TAG due to their motorsport connections."

If you want to stick with TAG, well, I have no idea which model to suggest; however, if you're tempted to dip your toe into vintage or another brand, I'd have a few suggestions Cool
Post #666212 22nd Nov 2017 1:35pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Another vote for the repair. There will be authorised dealers in your area, most likely send it back to Tag for repair. Not necessary the cheap route, but will come back like new Thumbs Up I've done it previously, and still get the odd question when I wear it, most think its a new model Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #666218 22nd Nov 2017 2:01pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I just sold 2 old watches, and bought one new one (net saving £5k which reduced my mortgage Smile). I got the best deals (selling and buying) in the Burlington Arcade, in London.
http://www.burlington-arcade.co.uk/

There are a number of watch dealers, so you can walk between them and get your deal done in a day.... maybe a bit of reverse auctioneering Thumbs Up

I bought a Tudor Black Bay which I love, and destined to be an appreciating classic (since they got Rolex movements earlier this year - you're getting a Rolex movement at half the price of a full blown Rolex). My last 2 watches both doubled in value...

I had a great time, got a much better deal on my new watch than I could find using the big chain stores...and a top price for the old ones too Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #666230 22nd Nov 2017 3:33pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Get a TAG Monaco with the blue face and strap. Uber cool and worn by the King of Cool himself. but for everyday use and which will take the everyday knocks a G Shock I find is the best, you just need a degree in computer science to alter anything on it Rolling with laughter
Post #666247 22nd Nov 2017 5:37pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
try Dane at dream watchws in Southampton, bought rolex from him twice top man to deal with
Pete
Post #666321 22nd Nov 2017 9:47pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys. I looked at each post and considered the comments throughout the day.

I prefer to avoid shops, plus I'm struggling for a free weekend until after new year . I considered repair, but decided it's time for new, there's a few issues with it.

Black Friday approaceth... Plus Santa Thumbs Up
Post #666336 22nd Nov 2017 10:23pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Are you willing to move away from TAG?

If not, have you considered the new TAG Autavia, which has one of the strongest motorsport links of the old Heuer brand. TAG have revisited the old Heuer Autavia and done a modern version.

If you are willing to move away from TAG, you could pick up a nice vintage Heuer Autavia, which are durable enough to wear daily and are only going in one direction price wise.

You may also like this newish brand, all of which is based on classic cars and motorsport:- www.autodromo.com

If you are willing to look at other brands, give us a hint as toward style and I am sure myself and others can help you spend your hard earned Mr. Green
Post #666340 22nd Nov 2017 10:29pm
LiftedDisco

If you can cope wiht the absolute madness, there is a TAG outlet shop at Bicester Village Shopping Centre.

Charlie has lusted after mine for some time and my Mother left her money to the grandchildren - he wanted something ‘notable’ to remember her by and so went there on a spending spree.

I suspect it might not be ‘this season’ but when you are buying something that will be on your wrist for years, a six month cycle doesn’t really come into it - if you like the watch then the price is likely to be considerably cheaper than the mainstream high street.

Personally, I can’t stand BV but it might be worth a try
Post #666347 22nd Nov 2017 10:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1