↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Battery drain
My 07 Puma doesnt get driven every day, maybe once or twice a week on average. When it does it is virtually always a long run so the battery should be well charged when parked up. Ive noticed that if it is left for more than about four or five days the starter feels sluggish. Today it was very slow, I almost thought it wasnt going to turn over. Thats after about 6 days parked, plus its been very cold. It has always been like this in the time Ive owned it, just its bothering me more now because Ive been driving it less. Had new battery this year which has made no difference.

Would you say this is normal for a Defender not driven daily. If not, I want check the current draw when parked. Does anyone know what sort of value range is normal/acceptable. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #665524 19th Nov 2017 5:55pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Ive got the same issue with my puma 110. I think my issue is the DRLs that are wired to a permenant live and not an ignition switched live.

Ive just pulled the fuse on them to see whether I have the same issue next weekend 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #665540 19th Nov 2017 6:16pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Re: Battery drain
Bluest wrote:
Had new battery this year which has made no difference.

Would you say this is normal for a Defender not driven daily. If not, I want check the current draw when parked. Does anyone know what sort of value range is normal/acceptable.

I had a similar issue with mine that turned out to be the starter motor - changed the battery and had an electrical health check and all was fine till it refused to start one day... new starter and never had any issues after ...
must say that the mech who did the replacement job said it was not easy !
Thumbs Up
- Carrot - had a problem with my DRLs once where I had a totally flat battery after 3 weeks away - new light controller and all was well after that - I
To protect my main battery I have now wired them up to my 2nd battery but this isnt working too well as the discharge rate is to slow due to the light load on the 2nd battery - so the lights stay on for ages after I park

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #665556 19th Nov 2017 6:51pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Is there anybody that would be willing and able to measure the draw on the battery of a healthy car? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #665557 19th Nov 2017 6:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Typically around 6 - 46mA as a rule imo, but does vary dependant on accessories. (Especially if tracker is fitted.)

I once had fitted by previous owner a Relay coil constantly energised, being wired incorrectly pulling around 224mA and that drained battery enough to not start after about two days.

Isolate suspect circuits and see if the issue goes, if it does you've identified the culprit and you can go from there.
Or, possibly quicker you can measure the mA draw at rest.
But yuh must make sure fir example to interior lights or off or a single thing could put you out.

As I said, an energised Relay coil can cause a parasitic power drain on the battery and most issues are caused by fitted accessories and not the standard wiring. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #665631 19th Nov 2017 11:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1