↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Road tax
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
It has all been said before, a quick search on this forum proves that. Tax avoidance was a forgone conclusion once proof of a paid displayed tax disk was removed. Was it Osbourne's fault probably, was it the conservatives hair brained ideology most definitely so. Is it our fault for voting in this government in the first place YES.
Would voting in another party change things, NO.

Can I give an alternative after living over six decades, most certainly I cannot, will it change in my sons and daughters lifetime, possibly not, unless they realise that the many can change the few. I can only hope they do! For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #664981 17th Nov 2017 2:17am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
What is the answer, though? We never get what we want, and no one in government (national or local) seems to have any intelligence at all.
Austerity:
They say Osbourne started an austerity programme, and I have heard Labour moaning about it for eight years, but we have had record borrowing, still. If austerity stopped my local council (Reading) from its crazy spending schemes then it was/is definitely a good thing. Though I see they still waste massive amounts of money.
Immigration:
Inviting people in that we can't cope with and who have a different ideology to us was just insane. You can't fuse two differing sets of beliefs together. Just look at the animal kingdom, differing animals don't mix.
Population:
My pet subject. We're walking into a population nightmare - we will grow by 7 million people in 10 years at this rate, but we're not even discussing it! We can't even sustain our current population, neither can our infrastructure. It's just insane.
Brexit:
What I wanted for the above reason, but it has shown that some people who like to think they're democrats aren't anything of the sort, some are just traitors to their own country, and some can't grasp basic maths. Just do it, and we'll suffer any consequences in the knowledge that we have control of our borders back (if the future government can grasp the population problem).
Justice:
Too-lenient sentencing have led to boys (and some girls) with a couldn't-care-less attitude because they know even if they get (unlikely) caught, their sentence will be a joke - as is prison. We have judges and magistrates who have NEVER lived in a normal world, and a liberal-led belief that offenders can be set right. No. My wife recently conducted a Facebook poll amongst everyone she knows - asking the question: Should capital punishment be brought back in exceptional circumstances? The result was 95% yes. No chance!
Political correctness:
Oh, where to start? I'm not offended by anything - I just don't care. So I completely fail to see why people get offended so easily. It's like they are waiting to. And we are (generally) born one way or another, and no other pronouns are acceptable other than what you biologically are! It doesn't matter what you 'feel' you are, you ain't! You can't 'identify' yourself as something you ain't. You cannot think you're an ostrich. Or, you can, but that's just mental illness. A classic example is Nick Clegg thinking he's intelligent.

Sorry for hijacking your thread on a little rant, but I do despair at where we're going. I'm almost 60, and grew up in the 1960s - which, for me, was as really great as others talk about. I loved it. My country and the world seems to have degraded so much since then, and I really fear for the future of my great niece who is 3. She won't suffer the health anxieties we have today, but she'll suffer from a whole new set of troubles. Again, sorry for ranting. Now left.
Post #665008 17th Nov 2017 9:29am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
^^^ Great post^^^ Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #665022 17th Nov 2017 10:20am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The whole system is a con perpetrated by all our Governments and civil servants to wring out as much money from car ownership.

The amount of various classes of V.E.L. dependant on amount of CO2 ,engine size and fuel.

You own a vehicle and sell it during a month you pay full month ,the new owner has to pay a full month and cannot legally drive it away until he/she has paid up.

Re A.N.P.R............This only as good as the systems in place to show that the owner of the vehicle has not renewed , It can take D.V.L.A. or whatever they are calling themselves today eight weeks to update the systems.

I along with thousands of others were asked our opinions on not issuing paper disc's and the possibility of having proof of insurance disc's at the same time over 15 years ago, the results were poor idea and good idea respectively. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #665031 17th Nov 2017 11:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
gilarion wrote:
It has all been said before, a quick search on this forum proves that. Tax avoidance was a forgone conclusion once proof of a paid displayed tax disk was removed. Was it Osbourne's fault probably, was it the conservatives hair brained ideology most definitely so. Is it our fault for voting in this government in the first place YES.
Would voting in another party change things, NO.

Can I give an alternative after living over six decades, most certainly I cannot, will it change in my sons and daughters lifetime, possibly not, unless they realise that the many can change the few. I can only hope they do!

That is tax evasion (which is illegal), not tax avoidance (which is sensible and legal).
Post #665055 17th Nov 2017 12:46pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just thinking and letting my mind wander regarding the road tax and fuel duty debate. The biggest problem for the Govt is how are they going to collect all of this petrol and diesel fuel duty when we all go electric?

I suspect that in the not too distant future we will all be paying for the miles that we drive and that this will be charged in a similar way to the congestion charge. It would seem relatively easy to charge a higher rate in the larger cities and have reduced rates for rural users, congested motorways would again be at a higher rate than the ones not so snarled up. You could even charge different rates for different days or even times of the day so that if you travel in the rush hour then you pay more.

We all know that big brother is here but he's going to get a lot bigger for us petrol heads and diesel heads. Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #665067 17th Nov 2017 1:11pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
/\ Black box...it's coming, mark my words. I did hear it was why the shares in Quindell were rocketing a couple of years ago, but seeing as they went titsup then I'm not sure. We will be charged per mile according to a little box of electronics and internetrickery - that we all know always works perfectly and never goes wrong. Now left.
Post #665071 17th Nov 2017 1:28pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
It vehicle tax really being evaded, or do people just not understand the new system? I'd expect that the vast majority of these 'evaders' have just failed to understand that they need to sort out vehicle tax at purchase.
Post #665075 17th Nov 2017 1:47pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
What puddle? wrote:
/\ Black box...it's coming, mark my words. I did hear it was why the shares in Quindell were rocketing a couple of years ago, but seeing as they went titsup then I'm not sure. We will be charged per mile according to a little box of electronics and internetrickery - that we all know always works perfectly and never goes wrong.

It's why the Government is pushing 'Smart' utility meters. Pay more for your electricity at 6.00pm, less at 3.00am. It has nothing to do with saving the earth, it's trying to create a revenue stream, or in this case of smart meters, trying to restrict the amount of energy being used at times of high demand as we are going to end up using more than can be supplied.

I hope they don't smart meter sewers. Not sure I would want to hold out for 90 minutes to get a cheaper poo Laughing
Post #665080 17th Nov 2017 1:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
AMBxx wrote:
It vehicle tax really being evaded, or do people just not understand the new system? I'd expect that the vast majority of these 'evaders' have just failed to understand that they need to sort out vehicle tax at purchase.

Fair point, perhaps we need a new term for the case where people either forget to pay or the system is so complex that they don't realise tht they should have paid.

Tax evasion - a willful decision illegally to avoid paying tax which is legally due.

Tax avoidance - a decision to pay as little tax as is legally necessary in order to enjoy money you have earned yourself, rather than give it away to others so that they can spend it irresponsibly on things of which you don't necessarily approve.

Tax omission - an unintentional failure to pay tax that should have been paid due to stupidity, carelessness, or to the fact that the tax rules are unintelligibly complex.

I have no doubt that there will be significant amounts of both the first and third of these in the VED revelation, but probably not the second.
Post #665081 17th Nov 2017 2:04pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Rashers wrote:
It all sounds a bit like Poll Tax, putting the road fund licence on fuel.

One person in a house pays for their council services. Four people in a house pay four times the single persons amount amount (as they use four times the services).

Went down like a lead balloon (for those of you too young to remember it) and almost caused anarchy on the streets.

A certain Maggie Thatcher lost her job over that little decision.

I'm not sure how this would be received????

I personally thought the poll tax was great.... why should a couple pay the same as certain members of society who have 9 kids?

(and broadly speaking, it was those "certain members" of society that screamed the loudest and almost caused the anarchy you speak of.)

But back on point.... Was listeing to Jeremy vine just now on R2.... these people moaning how difficult it is to remember the car tax blah blah....

get a friggin calendar then and write it down with a bright highlighter!!!!!!! or put it into your phone....or setup a reminder on your email

It's not exactly rocket science is it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #665085 17th Nov 2017 2:10pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Here here !! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #665093 17th Nov 2017 3:19pm
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Swine&Small wrote:
Rashers wrote:
You beat me to it, Swine&Small Laughing

That will teach me for writing war and peace Rolling Eyes

There are some great minds in Norfolk Bow down

And all related to each other Rolling with laughter
Post #665108 17th Nov 2017 4:42pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Don't come round here and shout cousin. They'll all come running!

I'll go get my banjo. Easier to play with six fingers.....
Post #665117 17th Nov 2017 5:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Lots of reasons to not put VED on fuel, some mentioned, but also don't forget all the people who use a filling station not to run a car, the generator, lawn mower, digger etc Mike
Post #665199 17th Nov 2017 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>